Runny eclair mixture.

kizzier, Oct 11, 3:17am
First time making them.it should be pipeable yes! Mine is all runny.I followed recipe to the letter.actually, two recipes (the first recipe failed too lol) and the mixture is soooo runny. The only thing I can think is the eggs were too runny! I used size 8 eggs.can anyone help pleasE!

buzzy110, Oct 11, 3:28am
size 7's are better. It is hard to tell you where to make improvements without first seeing your recipes and having some idea what exact procedure you followed.

For instance:

Did you use high grade flour! it is Important to use high grade flour.
Did you bring the butter and water to the boil!
Did you take that off the heat and add the flour, beating as you added the flour and put it back on at a medium heat and beat till the mix left the sides of the pan!
Did you wait for it to cool down to lukewarm (minimum) before adding the eggs!

Now what I suspect you did was add the eggs either all at once or way to fast. You have to add each egg, one at a time, beating well to incorporate the egg fully. Do not add another, till that is done and the dough is stiff again. The final dough should be silken and shiny.

I used to do it by hand with a wooden spoon but now I use an electric beater (the K beater on my Kenwood) 'cause it requires a lot of effort to beat egg egg in by hand.

Do you want my recipe!

buzzy110, Oct 11, 3:32am
I've just bumped the thread with two recipes in it. One is a catering sized recipe for those who are planning to make in bulk. The other is domestic sized.

kizzier, Oct 11, 3:40am
Thanks. The recipes I used are for gluten free ones, so I am using GF flour, not high grade. Did all above, except for the type of flour.am thinking it is just another GF fail lol

buzzy110, Oct 11, 3:57am
Yep. You can only make them with the high grade flour. The gluten in the high grade flour dictates both the lift that will be obtained and the final structure of the pastry.

kizzier, Oct 11, 4:04am
Wonder why someone wrote a gluten free recipe then! Must have worked for them at some stage lol

malcovy, Oct 11, 4:05am
This is one I have used with success
Cream Puffs
1/3 cup rice flour
3 Tbspns potato starch flour
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup butter, sliced
2 lg eggs
Preheat oven to 220C
In a small bowl combine dry ingreds.
In a small pot combine water and butter and bring to a boil, stirring often to melt butter. As soon as water boils and butter has melted add dry ingreds all at once and stir vigorously. Keep stirring until dough forms a ball. Remove from heat.
Beat eggs in one at a time with an electric mixer or beater to make the dough smooth.
Drop by tbspns full in an oil sprayed muffin tin and bake for 15 mins. Reduce heat and bake at 180C and bake for 20 mins more.
Remove puffs from tin and cool slightly on a rack. Cut off the tops of the puffs and use a fork to remove the soft centres. Replace lids and cool completely.

kizzier, Oct 11, 4:07am
Thank you malcovy, I will have to get the extra ingredients I need and give it a go. Cheers :)

malcovy, Oct 11, 4:12am
You have to make sure the tins are really well greased, be generous, I used a cooking spray. Be precise with ingredients.The way I get 1/4 cup butter is to have a measuring cup and fill it with 3/4 cup water and add butter till the water gets to the 1 cup measure, easiest way for me.I hope these go well for you.

dbab, Oct 11, 5:49am
Dean ! who was a judge on NZ Hottest Home Baker showed how to make choux pastry on a masterclass. He lightly mixed his eggs together and then only added enough to make the mixture smooth and glossy. I think you had too much egg in your mixture.
Good luck next time.

pickles7, Oct 11, 6:47am
kizzier . You have had a bad time, try .buzzy110. recipe or the one out of the Edmond's cooking book, is worth a go. I have mates who use that recipe. My recipe is a catering size. I have not made anything else. The texture should relax a bit, not spread, or stay as ridged as a pencil.

cgvl, Oct 11, 9:51am
I tend to use the Edmonds recipe and from memory it uses small eggs ie size 5 although I have made it using size 6.
7's and 8's are large eggs hence why your mix is too runny, use 1-2 less eggs if they are big ones.

cookessentials, Oct 11, 5:43pm

marywea, Oct 12, 6:32am
kizzier.I made these for the first time recently. Started using Cookes recipe but found it wouldn't thicken. Tipped it out and used the Edmonds recipe and I was so rapt with the result.Plain flour and 3 X size 7 eggs and not "4 small". Used Cookes tip of a skewer prick side or top to let steam out-a bigger cut hole will collapse them I found. Also put back in a cooling oven as she suggested. Do have another go-they are worth it.I cut small corner off a plastic bag for piping-messy but effective.Good luck.

kazadoh, Oct 13, 7:13am
buzzy110 I can't find your recipe can you bump for me please

buzzy110, Oct 13, 7:29am
Here is the recipe I have used for years and it is foolproof:

120g (40z) Butter
1 Cup Water
1 Cup Flour
4 Eggs

.Bring Butter and Water to a full boil over moderate heat
.Add sifted Flour while it is still over the heat and beat hard with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms balls and leaves the side of the pan
.Cool to lukewarm
.You can transfer the mixture to the bowl of your mixer at this point and let it cool there or you can finish the recipe by hand and leave it to cool in the pot
Heat oven to 220dC
.Once lukewarm add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly. Do not add another egg till the mixture is stiff and all the egg is absorbed
.The final paste should be smooth, glossy and hold its shape.
.Pipe or spoon onto a paper lined baking tray
.Bake for 20mins @ 220dC to rise and set your case
.Then bake at 150dC for 30-40mins till crisp and inside has dried out

If you space each case carefully you can just fit the whole lot onto one tray.