boiling bacon recipe

st_allie, Mar 24, 10:34pm
I picked up a piece of boiling bacon marked down at the supermarket. . What do I do with it?

hehehe. . heck anything is worth a try aye?

poppy62, Mar 25, 6:05am
Cook it very slow with some water and maybe a bit of maple syrup over the top - you dont need the maple syrup but it works well with the bacon and cuts the saltiness out a bit. The best way to cook them is in a crock pot!

st_allie, Mar 25, 6:40am
thankyou. . I was kind of thinking it was something you made soup out of. . will get the crock pot out for it then :)

dbab, Mar 25, 6:44am
Keep the liquid it's cooked in. It makes great soup in winter. You can just put it in a container and freeze it.

spongeypud, Mar 26, 12:32am
I love boiling bacon, just add a couple of bay leaves, few peppercorns, a peeled onion and a large carrot sliced thickly to the water for added taste. I'm cooking mine at the weekend.

cgvl, Mar 26, 1:39am
use it like ham. I just add either golden syrup or maple syrup to the pot of water I boil it in. Is nice cold in sandwiches.

loren8, Mar 26, 2:37am
Never even seen it ? ? Is it a big piece like corned beef?

poppy62, Mar 26, 5:30am
yes - similar to corned beef but so much nicer. Its called pickled pork!

spongeypud, Mar 26, 8:26pm
Pickled pork and boiling bacon are different but look similar, our butcher sells both.

st_allie, Apr 12, 10:46pm
I got the boiling bacon out yesterday and slow cooked it with onions carrots and bay leaf, peppercorns, maple syrup ( added a little celery too). . Still came out quite salty. I'm not a big fan of very salty meats. . the rest of the family ate theirs and I have saved the liquid to make a soup out of. I might try a pickled pork next time and see if there is a difference.

thanks for all the tips people :)

purplegoanna, Jan 25, 10:16am
its yum the inlaws have it once a week but so far i havent been able to find it, the young guy in the meat ailse at paknsaps just gave me a blank stare when i asked for it, she cooks her simliar to corned beef. Its yummo.