Anyone got any good Christmas Food Recipes

sunshinebay, Oct 8, 3:23am
I want to do some differant things this year has any one got any ideas, things like truffles, desserts anything.

pickles7, Oct 8, 4:03am
Fruit mince.
You could make this up now

500 grams of mixed fruit
1 cup brown sugar
1 grated apple
50 grams melted butter
1 tsp grated nutmeg
1 tsp gr. cloves
11/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp all spice.
1/2 a cup of Brandy
Mix together well , cover , I mix this up a few times, as it matures. You can pop in into the fridge or leave it in a dark cool place.
Enjoy.

pickles7, Oct 8, 4:05am
You could make this pastry too and freeze it for the mince pie's

sweet pastry and tin glide
great for all cake slices, and tarts
cream
450 grams butter,
450 grams sugar.
add 2 tsp vanilla
4 eggs, 1 at a time.
sift and add 900 grams of flour with
4 tsp baking powder and add.
Chill pastry well. knead roll and use a quarter at a time.
This pastry freezes well, raw or cooked.

to use from frozen. thaw, knead, roll, use. it is way easier to work with from frozen.

tin glide.stops cakes from sticking to the tins.
melt 4ozs of fat [kremelta] is fine.add
1oz of vege oil, stir in
2 ozs flour. mix well.
keep out of the fridge, in a cool place. You may need to melt and stir a bit to use.
paint onto tins with a paint brush. Will have the opposite effect if you use, all oil.

pickles7, Oct 8, 4:24am
I like to just get the prep done early, I will make two lots of the pastry, two lots of pastry for meat pies sausage rolls, etc. Probably get on to my Christmas cakes in the very near future. I like to mature them with brandy. I don't freeze my cakes. The brandy takes good care of them.

buzzy110, Oct 8, 4:37am
I'm flagging all making and baking of Xmas goodies this year. On Xmas Day, we will just have a very nice meal of small portions and at lease 4 or 5 courses, each complemented by an appropriate wine. The only baking I will be doing will be a Lemon and Lime tart.

I feel so laid back and relaxed I keep forgetting all about Xmas. I've already purchased all the presents.

pickles7, Oct 8, 5:05am
Same here. buzzy110.I will have stuff on hand in the freezer. We are done over preparing the actual food. I hate food left over, presents will be "sub cards" for the kids, probably for the parents as well. This year there will be more people, but less work. If all goes to plan. I may bottle some beetroot, lol, I will only eat bottled beetroot. exciting ah.

buzzy110, Oct 8, 5:18am
Very exciting. What nice wine do you think will complement your bottled beetroot! Maybe a bucks fizz with a strawberry. Lol

pickles7, Oct 8, 5:39am
A " Bundy Brew" of "Chablis", nothing too exciting, there. lol. We buy a lot of wine here in the bay, but prefer my home brews at Christmas, sort of slows us down, a bit.

grannymum, Oct 8, 6:06am
This is a great site for alternative Xmas desserts
http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/collections/alternat
ive-christmas-desserts.aspx

uli, Oct 9, 1:49am
My Xmas food will be like every year:
A big side of fermented raw salmon in the fridge for unexpected visitors plus salads in the garden to add.
A huge roast (most likely pork by the looks of our boar .) with whatever veges are in the garden at the time.
A huge pate made from my own pork, bacon and with real pistachios and lots of other goodies.
And whatever fruit presents itself to go onto or into a cake/pav/roll.

Presents and cards are abandoned since over 30 years, so whoever turns up goes home with preserves, fresh fruit, a piece of home made bread, cake or pate, seeds of rare veges or fruit or a cutting or a plant.

So Xmas here is always very nice and relaxing - we hang out on the deck with neighbours and friends for weeks - cooking and eating even more, then going feeding and milking and making some more cheese or baking pizzas in my outdoor oven LOL :)

davidt4, Oct 9, 2:01am
We do much the same uli, except that I won't be making pizzas.If I had an outdoor oven I might be tempted.

I'll be smoking some fish though, and I have recently discovered that 7 day cured gravadlax can be hot-smoked with spectacular results.

pickles7, Oct 9, 3:39am
I smoked fish last week, it was divine. I am not good with poultry, smoked from its raw state. How do you propose to cure, your duck.davidt4.

uli, Oct 9, 3:40am
Well I will be coming around some time (could be another year of course) and try those "spectacular results" of the 7 day cured gravadlax hot-smoked:)

I only make pizza nowadays if asked (and most people want pizza rather than BBQ for some reason now) - and then I eat a quarter myself (of the last one) - and suffer some indigestion afterwards LOL

Those that know me - keep a bit of space for "the last one" - as that has a very very thin bottom and lots of ham and artichoke hearts and tomatoes and mushrooms and capers and olives and very little cheese on it.

davidt4, Oct 9, 4:08am
All I need is 7 days' notice.

pickles - I wrote about curing fish, not duck.

uli, Oct 9, 4:40am
What is the difference - duck or fish LOL :)
7 days aye - I will have to make a plan for 2013 then .

pickles7, Oct 9, 5:03am
just goes to show, one should not scan. lol. thought you must have been smoking a duck.I only leave my fish 24 hours before smoking it. The last one I did was outstanding .mmmmmm. I can say that in here, lol.

davidt4, Oct 9, 5:10am
Normally I cure fish for smoking only for about 6 hours, but I discovered recently, when I had a big piece of gravadlax left over from a special occasion, that when briefly smoked it was even more delicious than my usual home-smoked salmon.

sunshinebay, Oct 10, 2:49am
Hey guys love your input but I really want xmas food recipes not really into fish smokeing etc

davidt4, Oct 10, 2:52am
We obviously misunderstood it when you wrote "I want to do some differant things this year has any one got any ideas".

uli, Oct 10, 10:17pm
How about this one then:
http://tvnz.co.nz/breakfast-news/easy-christmas-entertaining-video-4455078

Four ingredients only in each recipe and all for Xmas!