Some suggestions re catering and salads/biscuits

graebalz, Oct 7, 7:21pm
Good morning, I have two sports events coming up which I provide lunch for our volunteers and officials.I'd like to make salads and have different types of bread as the staple items, have you any yummy easy salad ideas.I normally cater for about 40 people.Normally we make sammies, but I'm time poor this year, and hoped salads would be easier.We will also provide fruit and something sweet, I usually make a large fruit cake and a batch or two of bikkies, any bulk bikkie recipes or a pointer in the right direction to finding recipes would be really appreciated.Thank you in advance.

pickles7, Oct 7, 7:44pm
Subway, will deliver if you have one in your area.

asue, Oct 7, 8:20pm
find a wholesale salad place in your area where they can bulk make for you. we have a great one here in Dunedin - comes all packed - huge variety and great discount for clubs etc. Also boxes of museli bars for sweets with fruit.

gardie, Oct 7, 8:29pm
I'd buy some of that loose leaf lettuce - pop it into a couple of different bowls and add some different things to each bowl.Red onion rings, diced feta and tomato to one and diced cucumber, green capsicum, spring onions and avocado to the other.I'm sure you could come up with some great ideas too.
I use the Edmonds peanut brownie recipe as my basic biscuit minus the cocoa and peanuts.You can multiply it easily and add all sorts of different things; sultanas and chopped nuts; chocolate chips, mini M&M's. etc.Only limited by your imagination.Large fruit cake is a good idea too.

graebalz, Oct 7, 9:32pm
asue - who does that!I'm in Dunedin.
Pickels7 - I'm not into subway - a few of my volunteers are older, I don't find eating their food from thier platters very easy if I don't then I'm sure others will be the same.But cheers for the thoughts.
gardie - I agree imagination is awesome!I just put together Annabel Langbeins brownie this week, I added razcherries, cranberries, pistachios and maccadamia's - it is the yummiest, nawtiest slice out!

katalin2, Oct 7, 10:57pm
An organisation I am involved with that has several functions a year sometimes provides bread rolls cut in half, salads, cold meat/cheeses and you make up your own filled rolls as you walk along the table- very successful
as everyone gets what they like and saves a lot of time for the organisers. Slices and fresh fruit also provided.

graebalz, Oct 7, 10:59pm
Katalin2 - that was the sort of cateringI am very tempted to do this year, thanks for that, with time short for this event, I thought that could work really well, that and a couple of really yummy salads, hence my questions.I'd like to make the salads, the slices and cakes are fine, I'll make them now and pop them in the freezer, while I do have time. :-)

buzzy110, Oct 8, 1:14am
I'm pretty sure you can order bags of potato salad and coleslaw from the Serve Over Deli section of your favourite supermarket. Probably even rice salad as well. I don't know why people love these salads, but they do.

lx4000, Oct 8, 3:18am

asue, Oct 8, 7:42am
Bush Rd Salads, Mosgiel.Ring them and they can fax/post or pick up list of what they supply.Check when you have to pre-order by.(List also says how many the different size bags cater for)

pickles7, Oct 8, 6:38pm
lol, make your own "sub" like roll. We do that heaps at home , kids love them. You need to do the prep fresh, and keep covered, and chilled, until required.