Braised Beef - how to for pie!

hhb, Oct 4, 11:10pm
My mother used to cook the most tender beef for pies, she braised it.but how - is it a case of just putting in pan with lid on very gently with some water seasoning etc! I have some rump steak that I want to make a mushroom and steak pie with. Thanks in advance anyone.

dezzie, Oct 5, 2:09am
Yes how you said in post 1, in a pan with onion and mushrooms and a little bit of water or stock, cook with a tight fitting lid so you don't boil it dry and simmer very gently until its cooked, then thicken the juice and away you go, a wee splodge of red wine if you have it would be nice, heaps of black pepper and some salt.

kamitchell, Oct 5, 7:40am
My husband found a great recipe the other day, he used topside steak (could also use gravy beef or other cheap cuts).He put it in the slow cooker overnight, and in the morning it was amazing!A beautiful gravy developed.This would be ideal for the filling of a pie as it was so tender.If your interested I could get him to show me the link, and I could post it here for you

hhb, Oct 5, 9:01pm
Thanks so much for above, I think for speedyness I will do the pan top version.yum!.love making my own home made pies, made chicken & leek last week, always a big hit.steak and mushroom.mmmmmm!

punkinthefirst, Oct 5, 9:15pm
Use the cheap cuts (fat removed). They're usually the muscles which have been used the most, and have the best flavour. All they need is long, slow, moist cooking, and they'll be fit for a King and his Queen.

timturtle, Oct 5, 9:23pm
Put cut up steak into the crockpot, then add a can of mushroon soup and some onion soup powder, then cook on low for 8 hours. This is just like braised steak, great as is or put into a pie.