•300ml chilled water
FOR THE FUDGE ICING:
•175g dark chocolate, minimum 70% cocoa solids
•250g unsalted butter, softened
•275g icing sugar, sifted
•1 tablespoon vanilla extract
MethodServes: 10. Or 1 with a broken
1.Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
2.Butter and line the bottom of two 20cm sandwich tins.
3.In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugars, cocoa, baking powder, bicarb and salt. In another bowl or wide-necked measuring jug whisk together the eggs, sour cream and vanilla until blended. Using a freestanding or handheld electric mixer, beat together the melted butter and corn oil until just blended (you'll need another large bowl for this if using the hand whisk; the freestanding mixer comes with its own bowl), then beat in the water. Add the dry ingredients all at once and mix together on a slow speed. Add the egg mixture, and mix again until everything is blended and then pour into the prepared tins. And actually, you could easily do this manually; I just like my toys and find the KitchenAid a comforting presence in itself.
4.Bake the cakes for 50-55 minutes, or until a cake-tester comes out clean. Cool the cakes in their tins on a wire rack for 15 minutes, and then turn the cakes out onto the rack to cool completely.
5.To make the icing, melt the chocolate in the microwave - 2-3 minutes on medium should do it - or in a bowl sitting over a pan of simmering water, and let cool slightly.
6.In another bowl beat the butter until it's soft and creamy (again, I use the KitchenAid here) and then add the sieved icing sugar and beat again until everything's light and fluffy. I know sieving is a pain, the one job in the kitchen I really hate, but you have to do it or the icing will be unsoothingly lumpy. Then gently add the vanilla and chocolate and mix together until everything is glossy and smooth.
7.Sandwich the middle of the cake with about a quarter of the icing, and then ice the top and sides too, spreading and smoothing with a rubber spatula.

sarahb5, Jul 3, 11:59pm
This one is very moist and quite dense in texture - it's the one that was on the Anchor butter wrappers

http://www.tuai.co.nz/Recipe_Index/r3964.htm

Ingredients:
125 g Anchor Butter, softened
-(5 0z)
3/4 c Castor Sugar
2 Eggs
1 ts Vanilla Essence
1/2 c Raspberry Jam
1-1/4 c Flour
1 ts Baking Powder
1/2 c Cocoa
1 ts Baking Soda
1 c Milk, warmed
1/2 c Chocolate Chips

Instructions:
Grease & line a 22cm round cake tin. Cream butter & sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in vanilla essence & jam. Sift flour, baking powder & cocoa. Dissolve soda in milk. Fold dry ingredients & milk alternately into butter mixture. Fold in chocolate chips. Spoon into tin. Bake at 180C (350F) for 45 minutes. When cold, spread with chocolate icing.

rj5, Jul 12, 4:03am
I think that I posted this recipe a few years ago now, got it off an american website, haven't made it in ages actually

tigga212, Oct 2, 8:08pm
please, Thanks

lodgelocum, Oct 2, 11:10pm
Jo Seagers Easy Peasy Chocolate Cake is the moistest I have ever found, will last for a week or so, uses oil instead of butter.I have made this for wedding cakes, birthdays etc etc, I double or triple the recipe and it is even nicer, everything is mixed altogether.

soniaj, Oct 3, 2:09am
http://www.annabel-langbein.com/cooking/recipes/recipe/!id=279

I always find this one nice and moist, just make sure you do remove it from oven before it cooks too long.

hoffy10, Oct 3, 6:25pm
Lodgelocum could you please post your choc cake recipe, as i have a Birthday cake to make soon. Thanks

holmsies, Oct 3, 11:43pm
Personally I dislike any baking where oil replaces butter.I can always taste the oil and its yuk!
Destitute Gourmet have a beautiful moist choc cake which you can also do as cupcakes.Google search for Destitute Gourmet and/or Dana's chocolate cupcakes.

amm5, Oct 4, 12:59am
Here is one I use all the time,You need a rectangle tin,about 20 cms x 30cmsgrease and line bottom.

Oven turned on to 350 F

Into a large pot, put
250 grams of butter
4 desertspoons cocoa powder
1 cup of water
Bring to the boil for 1 minute
Take off heat,
Add
2 cups flour
2 cups sugarMix well
Then add
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs (nos 7's) lightly beaten
1 teaspoon Vanillia essence
then add together
2 dessertspoons Malt vinegar
1 teaspoons baking soda
then add to the mixture, stirring well

Pour into tin

Bake for approximately 35 to 40 mins

Five minutes before cake is due to come out of oven
In a smaller pot,place
125 grams butter
6 dessert spoons of milk
4 dessert spoons cocoa powder
bring to boil, take off heat then add
1 teaspoon vanilla and aprox 750 grams icing sugar.Mix well until thick
then pour over cake while still in hot tinl

amm5, Oct 4, 1:00am
sorry the above looks complicated, but it isn't and this is the only cake that my family cannot sit down and devour at one sitting,it takes them 2 goes.

tarshlove, Oct 4, 1:19am
This is the recipe I used to day any every time It comes out fab.

2 cups of Sugar,
1 3/4 cups of flour,
3/4 cup of cocoa powder,
1 1/2 tsp of baking powder,
1 1/2 tsp of baking soda,
1/2 tsp salt,
2 eggs,
1/2 cup of oil,
1 cup of milk
2 tsp of vanilla essence,
Mix together well then add 1cup of hot water. This makes a very runny mixture. Bake at 180 deg Celsius for 35-45mins or until cooked.

Easy as! :o)

lodgelocum, Oct 4, 1:50am
x1
Hoffy10, put all in food processor or one bowl if no processor

2 Cups Sugar
2 teaspoon baking SODA
1 teaspoon baking POWDER
2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
3 Eggs
1 1/2 cups plain flour
3/4 cups cocoa
1 cup strong espresso coffee (plunger or filter, instant works ok as well)

Mix all together until smooth, bake 180c 1 hour depending on your oven, I always check around 50 minutes.You can use any shape tin, round, square, (lined) whatever suits.It is a runny mixture but cooks up lovely, and it is very moist.

Good luck, hope it works well for you.

hoffy10, Oct 4, 4:02am
Thank You so much for Typing it out for me. Soi think you said it can be Doubled is this correct . Sometimes i use a roasting dish how many times for that Please. Thanks

hoffy10, Oct 4, 4:16am
Thank you tarshlove i have also written your recipe down.

hoffy10, Oct 4, 4:18am
Thank you amm5 i have written your recipe down as well.

bev00, Oct 4, 8:51am
This is the best chocolate cake ever very moist

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2/3 cup cocoa
2/3 cup oil
1 cup milk
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup luke warm black coffee (2 tsp coffee in cup)

Put all ingredients in bowl (not coffee) beat with beater for 2 minutes. Then stir in coffee, mixture will be runny pour into cake tin and bake for about 45 minutes to an hour depending on tin size. You will love this easy moist cake. Ice with Chocolate icing and sprinkle with a flake on top

redrose, Oct 4, 8:57am
Hi, Do you think this recipe can be used for cupcakes.Be interested to know. Thank you.

lodgelocum, Oct 4, 8:43pm
Hi Redrose, yes I have used it as cupcake mixture, obviously just reducing the cooking time LOL, good luck.

tigga212, Oct 4, 8:47pm
thank you so much for your recipies, i plan on makingcake today or tommorrow

lodgelocum, Oct 4, 8:47pm
Hi, you're welcome, it would obviously depend on the size of your roasting dish, how deep etc, try two mixtures and see how it goes.I tripled it when I made a friends wedding cake, and I made that in a big square cake tin, very large, and every guest wanted to take some cake home so that is a nice feeling.

hoffy10, Oct 4, 11:50pm
Thank you so much will give it a try.

amm5, Oct 4, 11:50pm
The chocolate one I gave the recipe for, I made 2 of,then tripled the fudge and put between and over the tops and sides.this became my oldest son's 21st cake a couple of weeks ago.He wanted chocolate, so i gave him chocolate.

kelly151, Oct 5, 2:12am
lodgelocum can you make this without the coffee! can u taste the coffee in it i dont like coffee flavour hehe

lodgelocum, Oct 5, 3:20am
Hi kelly151, no you don't taste the coffee, if you left it out, not sure what you would replace it with!, it makes the cake dark as well.My kids and grandkids eat it and they aren't coffee drinkers either.Good luck and let us know how it went.

tarshlove, Oct 5, 5:14am
tigga212 What recipe did you end up using! Picture !