Red velvet cake

Page 1 / 2
arkle16, Jun 27, 5:15am
Hi made this but it is pink not red.How much is 2oz food colouring in mls!
Thanks. :)

leebee35, Jun 28, 9:34am
It's like 3 tblsps .I only put in two.it needs the three.

vinee, Jun 28, 7:09pm
I made it once and we all thought it wasn't very nice. (thank goodness for all that yummy icing!)
But after reading this I might have to have another go. It looks so nice in the pics!

vinee, Jun 28, 7:12pm
p.s. the history is interesting. Apparently it didn't used to have red food colouring in it. the old style cocoa would react with the acidic ingredients and go violently red!

zizzy41, Oct 1, 11:14pm
Hi, anyone here made a red velvet cake! I'm going to do one for my sons bday next week. Have found some recipes. 1 has 5 eggs and the other recipe only has 2. quite a difference. Advice anyone!

jessie981, Oct 1, 11:17pm
Think this has been asked. Try lefthand message board & under keyword put red velvet cake. Under date posted put last year. Good luck.

kiwitrish, Oct 2, 12:20am
As a cake decorater and baker this is the recipe I use.Comes out beautiful.Dead easy. Here is the link.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/three-tier_red_velvet_17795

leogal1, Oct 2, 3:44am
Red Velvet Cake

2 1/2 cupsflour
2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 oz. red food coloring

* Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
* Grease and flour two 8 inch cake pans.
* Lightly stir eggs in a medium bowl with a wire whisk. Add remaining liquid ingredients and stir together with whisk until blended. Set aside.
* Place all the dry ingredients in your mixing bowl and stir together really good with another wire whisk.
* Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix on medium-high for about a minute or until completely combined.
* Pour into cake pans and then drop the pans on the counter a few times to release any air bubbles.
* Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
* After about ten minutes, remove from pans and cool completely on a wire rack. I also cover in plastic wrap while the cakes cool.
* Then make the frosting.
This is from the Bakerella website.

zizzy41, Oct 4, 1:55am
thank you so much leogal1! What sort of food coloring do you use! I have a liquid color, but someone mentioned a powder food coloring, which my supermarket didnt have

motorbo, Oct 4, 1:59am
whats it taste like!

amm5, Oct 4, 1:59am
mine has 6 eggs in it, and is always a fav when I take it somewhere

zizzy41, Oct 4, 2:03am
I havent actually tried it. was going to do a trial run before the weekend.Can you post your recipe please amm5!

amm5, Oct 4, 2:16am
Sure I can

250 grams butter softened
3 cups of sugar
6 eggs(size 7)
30 mil red food colouring
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 cups plain flour
1 cup Buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon white vinegar

For the icing
500 grams cream cheese
375 grams white chocolate
250 grams butter softened

Prep Method
Preheat oven to 165 Cel
grease and flour 320cm round cake tins
In a really large bowlCream butter and sugar , add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.Mix food colouring and cocoa powder together, then add to mixture.
add Flour alternately with buttermilk. Add Vanilla and salt.
Mix the baking soda with the vinegar, and gently stir into mixture, do not over mix
divide batter into the 3 cake tins,( I bang them on the bench to take out air bubbles)Bake in the preheated oven for approx 25 mins.take out and allow to cool

To make white chocolate icing

Melt the white chocolate in a double boiler, allow to cool to lukewarm.In a large bowl beat teh cream cheese until light and fluffy, gradually beat in the melted white chocolate and the softened butter,Beat until the consitency of whipped cream, then use to ice between the layers and the top of the cake.

I have and do also use a standard butter icing as my hubby and cavedwellers ususallyfind the chocolate and eat it

amm5, Oct 4, 2:17am
I make this about once a month, it is one of my most requested cakes

zizzy41, Oct 4, 2:18am
omg that sounds soooo good! I'll do a trial run tomorrow me thinks. thankyou :)

amm5, Oct 4, 2:28am
As I only made one a couple of days ago, I will wait a bit.But it is very addictive, and the colour looks spectacular with the white icing.I made ifor work, and some of the Judges came and got a piece as well

leogal1, Oct 4, 3:20am
Hi zizzy41 - you can use liquid food colouring.good luck!

nzl99, Oct 4, 5:27am
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/!set=a.2012607954604.2121751.1225939081&l=9bc2d9afab&type=1

That's all the stuff I've donw with Red Velvet. click on each photo for recipe, method, ingreds etc.

motorbo, Oct 4, 5:36am
yes but what does it taste like LOL please

nzl99, Oct 4, 6:08am
It tastes like a deep chocolate cake. soft crumb but not uber dense like a mud cake. lighter.

motorbo, Oct 4, 6:10am
ohhh yummm.thanks for telling me

ayglepaygle, Oct 4, 7:46am
How many muffin size cakes does this recipe make! Thanks

nzl99, Oct 4, 5:21pm
Ummm. lots.And that's the official number.Maybe 18-24!

amm5, Oct 4, 6:38pm
I havea slightly different recipe for red velvet cup cakes, lol

katienz11, Oct 4, 9:27pm
Man, thats too tricky for me! it would take ages! bet its nice though.