Harriet beans not soft

james63, Sep 28, 10:39am
How do you get them softer like tinned baked beans !Mine are rather chewy even aftersoaking and 1 hour ofboiling them

pickles7, Sep 28, 10:55am
I cook them all night in my slow cooker, I have 1 grandson who loves my, baked beans. I have some to cook, next time I will time them properly. I am thinking 10 hours.
I used medium grade beans haricot, once, just as good.
Baked beans

500 grams of navy beans, soaked over night in water
lightly fry;
4 rashers of bacon chopped
2 large onions chopped
add;
2 cans of tomatoes
1/3 cup of molasses
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp of my chili jam
Pour into a slow cooker along with the soaked beans
3 cups of water
3/4 cup of brown sugar
cook 10 hours, on auto, in the slow cooker

pickles7 (487 )8:47 am, Sat 16 Apr #115

james63, Sep 28, 8:10pm
shall I place myback on the simmer so they will soften !

pickles7, Sep 28, 8:18pm
I would probably put them in the oven.

davidt4, Sep 28, 8:20pm
I assume you mean haricot beans.It is important to cook any dried beans in unsalted water.Soak 24 hours, drain, boil for at least 1 hour, often longer, until soft.The older the beans are the longer they will take to soften.Once they are completely tender add salt , leave 10 minutes then drain.

lilyfield, Sep 28, 9:21pm
i often cook a kilo in the slowcooker all day on low, and that is after soaking overnight. Then freeze in portions for future use.

james63, Sep 29, 1:30am
Brilliant ive been re simmering my beans all morn 7 afternoon and they are now tender.Thanks everyone for the info

wildflower, Sep 29, 2:44am
I give them more like 1 1/2 hours on top of the chippie while I'm heating the water.Then they get a bit longer after I add the tomato soup at night time and reheat it all.

pickles7, Sep 29, 3:54am
I soak mine all day and cook them all night. lol

james63, Sep 29, 7:05am
Tried this recipe and it was delicious . My son enjoyed it too . Wasnt too sure about the molasses . by no iit was tasty and easy to make