Honey, Oat and Barley Bread

tarshlove, Sep 21, 10:41pm
Thought Id share this recipe haven't tried it however I will as it seams much less work than some I've seen

Honey, Oat and Barley Bread

Cook time: 40 mins
Prep time: 60 mins
You get about 18 Slices

2 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
2 teaspoons honey
350ml warm water
1 1/2 cups plain wholemeal flour
1 1/2 cups plain white flour
1 1/2 tablespoons barley bran
1 1/2 tablespoons oat bran
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons rolled oats
4 tablespoons honey, extra
2 tablespoons oil

Place dry yeast in a medium bowl. Combine honey and warm water, gradually add to dry yeast and blend until smooth.
Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm place for 10 minutes or until foamy.
Sift flours, brans, and salt into a large bowl. Add husks from sift.
Add oats.
Make a well in the centre of flour ingredients and add extra honey, oil and yeast mixture.
Mix to a soft dough, then turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 5-10 minutes or until smooth.
Shape into a ball and place in a large oiled bowl.
Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place for 15-20 minutes or until well risen.
Punch down and knead again for 3-5 minutes or until smooth.
Place dough in a lightly oiled deep loaf tin. Cover with wrap and leave in a warm place until well risen and dough has doubled in size.
Brush loaf with a little soymilk and make slits in the top with a sharp knife. Sprinkle with a little extra flour and oats, if desired.
Bake in a moderately hot oven (210°C) for 35-40 minutes or until well browned and cooked through.
Stand bread in tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.

indy95, Sep 22, 12:22am
Thank you for this recipe tarshlove. I have recently been experimenting with making bread using oats and barley and will give this a try very soon.

auburn4, Sep 22, 10:31am
I would love the hear how this bread turns out as it sounds great.

ballito, Sep 17, 10:26pm
I made this bread last night and it was very nice.I only had ordinary bran so substituted that; also I didn't brush with soy milk just left the top plain.Very nice with a piece of cheese.

indy95, Nov 9, 7:14pm
This recipe makes a very tasty loaf. I can recommend it to anyone keen to make bread.