DUTCH OR NETHERLANDS FOOD IDEAS'

Page 1 / 3
zambesi2, Sep 22, 7:54am
Calling all you scandanavin people.Can you all provide me with your best main dish recipes please.I have to make a dish from the above as a main. Than x heaps.

sarahb5, Sep 22, 7:55am
Holland/the Netherlands are not in Scandinavia

marcs, Sep 22, 8:07am
i could suggest Tom Poes for dessert.

davidt4, Sep 22, 8:19am
Do you want Dutch food or Scandinavian food!As sarahb5 noted they are not the same.

lx4000, Sep 22, 8:38am
from my partners mums recipie book. Its really really nice! Everyone loves it!

Dutch Apple Cake
125g Butter
1 C Sugar
2 Eggs

1 1/4 C smooth WARM apple sauce

2 C Flour
1 tspn BS
1/2 tspn Salt
1 1/2 tspn Cin
3/4 tspn Cloves
2 Diced Apples
1 C Raisins
1 C Nuts of your choice

Mix butter, sugar and egg for a few mins.

SLOWLY mix in Warm apple sauce.

Add dry ingredients and mix in.

Add raisins, chopped apple and nuts.

Bake 180 45 mins

This is a winner in this house and goes sooo fast!

I double it and freeze 1 :) Have made it with maca nuts and walnuts so far. I have even added speculaas spice and not added the cin and cloves. Both are winner on taste!
Enjoy :)

lx4000, Sep 22, 8:44am
Wholemeal Honey and Almond Cake
300g Butter
250g Caster sugar
4 Eggs
1 tspn Van Ess
150g Wholemeal Flour
2 tspn BP
150g Ground Almonds
50g Flaked Almonds
4 Tbspn Melted Honey
Cream butter and sugar.
Add eggs 1 at a time and beat well. Add van ess and beat in well.
Stir in ground almonds.
Stir in flour and BP gently.
Pour into lined baking dish.
Spread flaked almonds on top.
Bake 40 - 45 mins 180
Remove from oven and pour melted honey over evenly.
Cool in tin.

buzzy110, Sep 22, 9:29pm
I'm not being rude, as it is wonderful that you provided these excellent Dutch recipies, but is this, and the next recipe a main!

donnabeth, Sep 22, 10:58pm
Stampot.
Slowly cook some diced stewing steak until nearly falling apart. Peel and pile on top, an onion, potatoes, carrots, kumera, parsnip. Cook until veges are ready, drain, then mash the lot in together. Pour the saved liquid into a jug as gravy(or jus)
This is remembered from staying with a Dutch family and quantities are adjusted to the number you're feeding. It's very casual.

davidt4, Sep 22, 11:07pm
When I was in Holland these were my favourite food:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/dutch-croquetten/detail.aspx

zambesi2, Sep 23, 6:38am
Oops sorry my error!Thanks for pulling me up on that one, although I did notice that you didn't actually supply a recipe!Ha ha.
Yes it's a main dish that I am after, either the Netherlands or Holland. The one above sounds good, but any others also appreciated.Thanx:)

lilyfield, Sep 23, 12:57pm
the Netherlands and Holland are one and the same. Suggest you look at an atlas.

ingies, Sep 23, 1:11pm
Specifically north and south Holland are two provinces in the Netherlands. Stampot beetroot and onion sauce is also really good, boil potatoes, and mash them together with rasped (boiled first) beetroot. Serve with hard boiled eggs and onion sauce- made with butter, fry cubed/sliced onion in it, then add flour to thicken and chicken stock to make a sauce, yum

ingies, Sep 23, 1:15pm
I know beetroot stampot sounds quite strange but it is always a favourite in winter, kids esp will love it, also taste good with some mayonaise, we always mash the eggs into it on our plates.

zambesi2, Sep 24, 12:28am
Thanx heaps ingies. You have been most helpful. I could use this as a side dish maybe!Pity that some other posters can only criticise my lack of knowledge regarding Holland!Grrr!
I notice that neither of these posters provided recipes though.LOL!

elliehen, Sep 24, 1:02am
There are worse things in life than being hazy about geography., zambesi2.

I'll bet you know exactly where the great Zambesi is and they don't!

sarahb5, Sep 24, 1:25am
Its not a criticism - its a statement of fact.

daleaway, Sep 24, 1:45am
The classic Dutch recipe is the Uitsmijter (say "out-smight-er"). This means "bouncer" and is a sort of hearty brunchy meal. I don't know why more New Zealand cafes don't serve it.

Butter two or three slices of bread and top with slices of either ham OR cold meat OR cheese.
Top this with 2 or 3 fried or poached eggs.
Surround with salad - usually tomatoes and lettuce and cucumber, though my favourite cafe in Amsterdam used to put Huzarensla (Google it) with it. You may also like potato salad.
And most importantly, some gherkins. Whole or sliced, like sandwich gherkins. Plenty of gherkins.

Mmm, think I'll have lunch now!

elliehen, Sep 24, 4:13am
'It's' has an apostrophe when it's an abbreviation of 'it is'.

It's not a criticism - it's a statement of fact ;)

sarahb5, Sep 24, 4:45am
Woteva - spelling Nazi has a capital N because it's a proper noun.

sarahb5, Sep 24, 4:46am
Woteva - spelling, grammar and punctuation Nazi has a capital N because it's a proper noun.

donnabeth, Sep 24, 4:53am
Ingies, beetroot stampot brings back so many memories. It used to be served cold, mashed with mayonnaise, gherkins and tiny cocktail onions. I'd forgotten so much Dutch food, I want to be a child again. I wonder if it still tastes the same or was it the flavour of sunny days, roaming wild and friendship!

lythande1, Sep 24, 4:57am
Um. Bit like saying Germans and French are the same people.

buzzy110, Sep 24, 5:42am
zambesi - I doubt you are going to get much more from here. Most posters are not Dutch, do not come from the Netherlands or have only a passing acquaintance with food from Holland. I really think that google is your friend. I have just used it and found many fabulous and easy recipes.

kay141, Sep 24, 5:50am
How do you know these things!

buzzy110, Sep 24, 6:24am
So unlike me, you have noted a huge response from posters in here giving lots and lots of Dutch recipes for the main course have you! And I know about google because I'm clever. Tee hee.