Vanilla slice recipes

iicannseeyouu, Sep 21, 3:10am
any one have a good one!
http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/Vanilla-Slice-L1483.html
ive tried that one but its more like a custard square than vanilla slice :)
oh and i want to use puff pastry

elliehen, Sep 21, 3:22am
What distinction do you make between the two!I haven't been able to find any substantive difference between the two.

Having said that, our local Dutch bakery makes a 'vanilla slice' with a third layer of pastry through the middle of the fluffy custard and it's more of a puff pastry.

iicannseeyouu, Sep 21, 3:33am
well i had one from countdown the other day which is shipped in from an auckland bakery and ever since this one just doesnt seem to match up! the vanilla one was soooo much creamer (and obviously more vanilla tasting) and even the vanilla icing was amazing so nice and thick lol

iicannseeyouu, Sep 21, 3:34am
also the custardy cream is alot whiter in the vanilla one compared to the custard one :)

marcs, Sep 21, 5:06am
Look up dutch vanilla slice on google. They are divine.

punkinthefirst, Sep 21, 6:06am
x1
Vanilla slice has cream set with gelatine in the middle, rather than a thick custard, doesn't it! I think it is also known as "Napolean Square, or Slice".

elliehen, Sep 21, 6:44am
That went straight to a Low Carb Forum with an imitation slice using gelatine, artificial sweetener and phyllo pastry!

Is that what you intended!

marcs, Sep 21, 11:02am
No. Will post one shortly

marcs, Sep 21, 11:16am
Traditionally they are known as Tom Poes. I have eaten them but never tried making it. Here is a website.

http://www.blago.net/baking/cakes-pie/home-made-queens-day-tompouce/http://dutchfood.about.com/od/breadspastriescookies/r/CustardSlice.htm

elliehen, Sep 21, 11:25am

The ones in the first link look very similar to those in the local Dutch Bakery.

iicannseeyouu, Sep 23, 6:35am
the first ones look sooooo good! im going to try make em! thanks :)

marcs, Sep 23, 8:21am
Let me know what it turns out like. I want to make it too now.

greerg, Sep 23, 8:31am
My mother always referred to them as Cream Napoleons and my godmother made beautiful ones but the recipe vanished and neither of them are alive now. It'sd a different name to google though.

griffo4, Sep 23, 8:41am
The packet of vanilla sugar in the cream filling, what is that and how much!

sue1955, Sep 23, 9:30am
x1
Is this what you are looking for -

Napolean Creams
1tbsp gelatine (heaped)
300ml cream
300ml milk
pkt of pastry
3-4tbsp sugar
1tsp vanilla

beat cream until stiff then fill cream bottle with milk & add to cream
while beating all the time, add vanilla & sugar
dissolve gelatine in 3/4c hot water
add to cream mixture beating all the time
line 10"x8" sponge roll tin with wet grease proof paper
pour in mixture & put in fridge to set

roll pastry thin & cut 2 pieces each to size of tin
prick all over
cook till golden
when cold turn set cream mixture onto 1st piece of pastry
place 2nd piece on top & ice & sprinkle with coconut.

(taste cream mixture & have it a bit sweet as the pastry tends to lessen the sweetness)
I hope you can understand all of this as I've just copied it from a recipe that I was given 40yrs ago.

marcs, Sep 23, 2:12pm
I just used other tsp of sugar but add vanilla extract to the mixture. About a tsp should do.

griffo4, Sep 23, 9:50pm
Thanks marcs l have vanilla sugar so will use that

jag5, Sep 25, 6:39am
My favourite which I havent' seen for years.is French Vanilla Slice.nothing like custard.I gag at the thought of cold custard.so hence can't eat custard type squares.

French Vanilla is soft, and creamy and fluffy.oh so nice LOL

unknowndisorder, Sep 26, 11:16am
Bumping because I can :)

cardiffgirl, Sep 26, 11:32am
Do you mean Mille Feuille

marcs, Sep 26, 11:34am
Vanilla slice using instant pudding. That is very yum.

willyow, Sep 26, 5:28pm
You can make your ownvanilla sugar buy tossing avanilla pod or two into a jar of sugar - after 2-3 weeks it isfabulous.

griffo4, Sep 26, 8:57pm
Thanks willy l have done that

marcs, Sep 28, 5:53am
Jag5 I don't like eggy custards. I will eat ones from the shops or poweder custard but as soon as you put eggs in them I just can't eat it. I have found another recipe that does not have eggs in them if anyone is interested. That is why I probably like this one so much. It has taken me ages to find it. I have eaten it at a cafe in WA and loved it.

http://www.bestpolishrecipes.com/index.php!option=com_content&view=article&id=88&Itemid=176

Use puff pastry if you can't be bothered to make the pastry given.