Breadmaker French Bread. When to add nuts!

mazzy1, Sep 18, 12:04am
There aren't any specific beeps to let you know when to add chopped walnuts/pumpkin seeds etc for this particular loaf, and I love making it because it never fails. For most others it's 15 or 20 minutes into the cycle - any ideas from you gurus out there!

mazzy1, Sep 18, 12:31am
or are you all too busy arguing about aioli . lol

lilyfield, Sep 18, 12:38am
just do it 15-20 min into cycle

mazzy1, Sep 18, 1:31am
I put them in 20 minutes into the cycle and they are just rattling around in the bottom now. Not sure if I should intervene and tip them out when it stops or just leave it to its own devices!

buzzy110, Sep 18, 2:14am
Sorry I cannot help you mazzy. I don't have a breadmaker or I'd be happy to stop arguing about aioli and help you. How did it all work out for you in the end!

mazzy1, Sep 18, 2:19am
ha ha - thanks anyway! At the point of the last short kneading cycle it didn't seem to be rattling as much, so I have decided to leave it to its own devices. If the worst happens it's just a couple of cups of flour and a bit of yeast down the drain. I'll know in a couple of hours, so fingers crossed.

buzzy110, Sep 18, 2:31am
I'm sure it will all work out fine. I hope the unassimilated nuts don't burn in the cooking process though. I make all our bread requirements by the old fashioned method. Additions such as seeds, nuts, dried herbs, dried tomato, onion, dried fruit, etc, are usually added at the end of the first (and only) knead. They take a bit of extra work to incorporate into the dough, because by that point the dough has taken on an elastic texture that doesn't take in extra stuff easily. I assume this is the same with breadmaker dough.

mazzy1, Sep 18, 2:58am
Yes - I think you are right. I'll be standing by with the fire extinguisher then! I did put them in during the first big knead but suspect that it may have been a little bit late to assimilate them into the dough. Oh well - it's a cup of chopped walnuts, so not a major disaster. I get a huge kick out of making bread - especially this lovely crunchy crust.