Question about coconut ice

mizim, Sep 17, 5:56am
Can you only make it with Icing Sugar! Or can you make it with normal sugar!

jessie981, Sep 17, 6:07am
Haven't heard of Icing Sugar
Edmonds
2c sugar
2/3c milk
65gr butter
3TBSPs coconut
Boil all 20 mins. Remove from heat & beat until thick. Pour into buttered dish etc

(2) 3c sugar
3/4c coconut
1/2c milk
25gr butter
1/4tsp salt
Cochineal (opt0
Put all ingredients & boil 10 mins. Add Cochineal. Beat until thick. Pour into container (this mixture sets quick)

nauru, Sep 17, 6:17am
I make a no cook recipe for coconut ice, much easier than the cooked version.If you would like it, let me know and I will post it for you.

mizim, Sep 17, 6:42am
I'll happily give it a try :)

pam.delilah, Sep 17, 6:45am
Coconut Ice Uncooked

This is easy enough for children to make, but popular with adults too. After several days, it becomes rather firm, but it seldom lasts this long!

2 cups desiccated coconut
2 cups icing sugar
1/2 of a 400g can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 tsp raspberry essence (optional)
4-5 drops of red food colouring
Extra coconut for coating

Measure the coconut and icing sugar into a food processor or large bowl. Tip the condensed milk on top. Add the vanilla then process in bursts or mix with a flexible stirrer, then your hands.

Sprinkle some of the extra coconut on a sheet of plastic on a flat work surface. Press out half the mixture about 20cm square on the coconut. Add the raspberry essence and enough food colouring to give a pale pink colour to the mixture left in the bowl, mix in, then shape as previously.

Lay the pink layer on top of the white layer. Sprinkle a little extra coconut on top. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or longer, then cut into squares with a wet knife. Refrigerate until required, and eat after a few hours.

or
Coconut Ice UNCOOKED
This is a fantastic, easy recipe for coconut ice, with no cooking involved
You need:
4 cups icing sugar
3 cups coconut
1 tin condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
pink food colouring
Method:
Mix all ingredients together. Separate the mixture into halves and add a drop or two of pink food colouring to one half - you may find mixing it in with your fingers in a kneading action is the easiest way to do this. Press first the white mixture into a tin and smooth until flat, then spread the pink mixture over the top, smoothing also.Refrigerate and cut into 3cm squares.

willyow, Sep 17, 7:32am
Vanilla extract is the magic ingredient for coconut ice - transforms it into something extraordinary - had some at the La Cigale French Market in Parnell today -a whole new world!

vintagekitty, Sep 17, 7:39am
That sounds lovely, how much Vanilla do you think!

mizim, Sep 18, 6:42am
Or by microwave!