Soup, hopefully a Non Fail one!

katienz11, Sep 16, 11:03pm
Im hopeless at making soup - it always tastes like water left over from boiling the veges!So for the first time Ive bought some soup mix, Kings Traditional Soup Mix, Country Chicken to be precise :oP.Wish me luck! it didnt start very well, as I had turned the wrong element on, hehe.anyways, Ive fried some onions first, and put in a teaspoon on mixed herb, and a chopped up carrot.So now it simmers for an hour and a half apparently.

And then, my mother arrives for lunch! so fingers crossed it actually does taste okay! lol

samsnan, Sep 16, 11:11pm
katie I would be adding more veges to that. Finely cut leek,kumera,pumpkin,celery, and perhaps a small potato. If you have any leftover chicken in the fridge put that in also. I find the Kings mix is quite bland if you dont add extra to it. Good luck and tell us how it turned out.

lythande1, Sep 17, 12:44am
Well no wonder.
I would add an onion, 2 carrots, 1/2 bunch of celery, a potato, another root vege, some beans, a can of tomatoes,all sorts. And take a few out at the end and either blend or mash them, then put them back in, it makes it thicker.

sarahb5, Sep 17, 4:01am
I'd ditch the Kinds Soup Mix completely - they are very salty and that seems to over-power every other flavour.Just start from scratch - simmer a chopped carrot, a diced onion and a couple of celery sticks with a chicken breast and some fresh herbs for about 20 minutes.Drain it but don't discard the stock, leave the chicken to cool then shred it.Fry an onion and a couple of garlic gloves until soft.Add a diced potato, some diced pumpkin and any other veggies you have - leeks are good, don't add kumara as well as pumpkin because it can get too sweet.Cover with water and simmer until the vegetables are really mushy.Then add the shredded chicken and if you want your soup to have some body add some risoni or rice.If you want a creamed soup liquidise it before you add the chicken and risoni/rice.Add the reserved stock, adjust the seasoning and that's it - pretty simple really.

katienz11, Sep 17, 5:02am
Thanks for the ideas.I might try the soup mix that is just a mixture of lentils, split peas, barley etc next time.This soup mix had those but also flavouring, and while it was actually pretty tasty, it was both a bit too sweet and too salty.I have a dry mouth and feel thirsty, but Im not sure if thats the salt from the soup mix, or from duromine which i started today!

I dont want potato in my soup though, as although I dont mind potato to eat, I can easily live without it, and its one of the carbs that makes my blood sugars too high.

I like these ideas though, and will try them.Whats the best thing to buy to liquidise the veges.I dont cook much (probably clearly evident!) and the only 'mixer' I have is an egg beater.

lost-in-oz, Sep 17, 5:04am
You can just use your regular spud masher for a chunkier version.Or you can get pretty cheap stick mixers at the Warehouse.

If you grate your veg beforeyou cook it, you generally don't need to liquidise it.

sophia4, Sep 17, 5:14am
kumara and pumpkin will also thicken the soup if you don't want to use potato

buzzy110, Sep 17, 6:33am
If I was using barley I wouldn't use potatoes, kumara or pumpkineither. I'd stick to the onions, garlic, celery, leeks, carrots, capsicum, mushrooms and cabbage. Other suggested vegetables are corn (removed from the cob), green beans, courgettes and peas. Parsley makes a nice addition. Even if you use a meat stock and meat, this is still the quintessential vegetable soup - almost anything goes basically. for instance I use the more tender parts of the cauliflower and broccoli stems as well.

sarahb5, Sep 17, 9:04am
I love mushroom soup but never put mushrooms in my vegetable soup because they turn everything kind of sludge coloured.

OP - try the rissoni or rice options instead of potato, or lentils.