HP sauce. does anyone have an old bottle

korbo, Sep 14, 6:58pm
read in the paper that the british are up in arms, as the recipe of HP sauce has been altered. (less salt) and they dont like it.
Has anyone an old bottle, as I would like to compare the indgredients with the bottle that I have bought today.thanks

antoniab, Sep 14, 8:54pm
My partner says hes noticed too (I havent) he's english and LOVES the stuff!

nala2, Sep 14, 9:45pm
I was in the shop yesterday checking it out. They had the plastic container and the glass bottle. The plastic container hadsomewhere around 888mg of sodium per 100ml while the glass bottle had 1300 mg per 100ml.
The glass salt levels are correct as I have the bottle in front of me and the plastic container was around that 888mg.
In the 1960.s it was a restricted item in NZ and they hid it under the counter in Deli,s, for Poms looking for a fix. My wife dropped mine so I carried all the bits back to prove I was not trying to score two bottles.

pickles7, Sep 15, 1:26am
Not just the salt, has changed. It has been going down hill for a long time. My Husband loved it on his eggs,"our first little tiff"lol . He has not bothered for years, as it got too bland. My husband thinks it is lacking spices. I am going to get myself sorted, for a brew of my own this season. I have 23 liters of lager vinegar to use, so I can experiment a bit.

korbo, Sep 15, 7:46am
.what on earth is lager vinegar !
thanks for info

pickles7, Sep 15, 8:09am
I made vinegar from an old, out dated, can of Lager home brew.
It tastes similar to malt vinegar.

I won't drag up that brew of vinegar again, but hey, I have just bought 2 large bottles of apple juice, to brew, lol.

pickles7, Sep 15, 8:19am
I bought some very cheep sauce, the other day. 98 cents a bottle. I felt it looked a bit like H P sauce, and was sort of wanting it to taste similar . NOT SO. it was not nice at all. The colour was so close.