How long does cheese last once opened!

nme001, Sep 14, 6:29am
Might seem like a basic question, but lately I have noticed that when i buy cheese it doesn't last long in the fridge until it gets smelly and tastes 'smelly' if that makes any sense!!After i use it for the first time i always wrap it up tightly with glad wrap which has seemed to work in the past but now not so much. I buy Edam.

TIA :)

lythande1, Sep 14, 6:53am
Define long.
I don't wrap mine tight, not airtight anyway, has a bit of breathing space but not naked either.
And if it's going off, buy smaller blocks.

lx4000, Sep 14, 10:04am
I keep mine in a plastic container (fully sealed lunchbox Nota click closing one but a air tight lid)

raebee, Sep 14, 10:10am
or grate some off and freeze it (or just cut it off and freeze) and then what's left won't have as much time to go off.

kinna54, Sep 14, 10:53am
wrap it in tinfoil, haven't tried it myself, but have heard it works. I have a tupperware cheese storer that I use, and never have a problem.

missy_chester, Sep 14, 11:01am
Wrapping cheese in Gladwrap is not a good idea. It lasts much longer is wrapped in foil or grease proof paper. I also buy the big block (usually works out quite a bit cheaper than buying less than a Kilo) and grate half of it and freeze it. Very handy to have in the freezer. No need to thaw it before adding it to a white sauce, sprinkling it on a pizza or using it in baking.

susieq9, Sep 14, 11:26am
I just keep mine in a plastic bag in the fridge. You could also grate it and then freeze it.

kuaka, Sep 14, 12:09pm
Never a problem in my household, it doesn't last long enough to go smelly.Sounds like it's sweating with it's gladwrap blanket around it.

prawn_whiskas, Sep 14, 8:04pm
Cheese is a living organism, it needs to breath.Wrap it in silicone baking paper or wax paper (wax paper can go a bit soggy) then pop in a plastic bag or container but don't seal it, it still needs air flow.

http://www.cheese.com/facts1.asp (this is more for 'Real' cheese but applies to the mass produced stuff also)