Tomato relish made from tinned tomatoes

cottagerose, Sep 14, 6:08am
Does anyone have a recipe for this please and would you drain the tomatoes. I bought a heap of cans today for 29c each as Im sure relish can be made using them

pam.delilah, Sep 14, 6:28am
Tomato relish

400g chopped fresh tomatoes
400g can whole peeled tomatoes
2 large onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
¼ cup salt
1 cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
500ml white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 Tbsp yellow mustard seeds
2 Tbsp coriander seeds, lightly crushed
3 dried red chillies

1 In a large pot mix together all tomatoes and their juices, onion, garlic, salt, sugars and vinegar. Bring to the boil, then boil steadily for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2 Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Boil for 30 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally. If you like relish texture to be loosely spoonable, remove from heat when relish is slightly thickened. If you like it to be thick, remove from heat when mixture has darkened a bit and is fairly thick. It will thicken slightly more as it cools.

3 Bottle hot relish into hot sterilised jars. Seal when cool.

Cook's note
Make a picnic kit: This is a gift that’s all about time out – equipped with your box of goodies, all that remains is choosing a picnic spot.
The kit
Make: Jar of Tomato Relish.
Buy: Wedge of good smoked cheddar, wrapped in waxed paper and muslin, jar of pickled onions, small salami, picnic knife, tea towel, bread or crackers.

books4nz, Sep 14, 6:39am
I wouldn't drain them. sounds a great recipe Pam.

245sam, Sep 14, 6:55am
Good buying cottagerose - here's a recipe that should help you make use of those cans of tomatoes.
TOMATO RELISH
500g fresh tomatoesOR2 x 430g canned tomatoes
2 medium onions
2 garlic cloves
1 cup raw sugar
½ cup cider vinegar+1-2 tbsp extra
2 tsp each ofsalt,curry powder,mustard powderandcornflour

Fresh tomatoes:-Place in a large bowl, cover with boiling water, and leave for a minute.Drain and rinse with cold water, peel off the skins.
Canned tomatoes:-Drain off the juice and set aside.
Roughly chop the tomatoes; and finely chop the onions and garlic.
Place the tomatoes, onions, garlic, sugar, vinegar and salt in a large saucepan and bring to the boil, reduce to a medium heat and gently cook for 15-20 minutes.
Mix the curry powder, mustard and cornflour with the extra vinegar to a smooth paste, stir into the tomatoes and cook until thickened.
Spoon into warm, sterilised jars and seal. Refrigerate once opened.
Makes 1 large 500ml jar.
Tip:Goes well with cheese, cold sliced meats, burgers, sausages or steak.Serve with frittata or add to wraps and sandwiches.
Recipe from:-
http://www.chelsea.co.nz/baking-and-recipes/1260/tomato-relish.aspx

Hope that helps.:-))

cottagerose, Sep 14, 9:46am
Thankyou Pam.delila and 245sam. I have 24 cans so will try both recipes and as books4nz says, I wont drain them either