Quick and easy dinner ideas

Page 1 / 2
alottavino, Sep 14, 4:35am
anyone have some please

buzzy110, Sep 14, 5:04am
Did you also mean to add the word "cheap" to your question or are you happy with foods like fillet steak and lamb racks!

alottavino, Sep 15, 12:46am
Thank you both - cheap would be good too

buzzy110, Sep 15, 3:45am
Oh. I'm not sure I understand the ethos of cheap that circulates around these boards as it seems to involve hours of cooking up lentils, pasta and lasagne which are certainly cheap but definitely not quick or easy. Cheap foods, as recommended here also seem to be devoid oflots of fresh, beautifully cooked vegetables, a mainstay of my diet.

In our house when a quick and easy dinner is required I turn to Chinese stirfried vegetables and meat.

Prepare vegetables of choice into desired sized chunks. I find that basics for this dish include carrot, celery, onion, ginger, cauliflower and/or broccoli. To that any selection of the following vegetables can be added - mushrooms, capsicum, garlic, bok choy (usually I cooked this as a dish on its own though), green beans, frozen peas, corn, cabbage (usually always used here), leek, sugar snap peas, mung bean sprouts, etc. Slice up a small quantity of rump/chicken breast/lamb tenderloins/lamb shoulder meat or any other meat that cooks fast, including fish.

Heat a wok, heavy skillet or large pot with some grapeseed or sunflower oil (avocado is OK or even lard at a pinch) and rapidly stirfry the meat. It doesn't have to be cooked through. Remove and add the vegetables, starting with the harder, longer to cook vegetables and continue adding till they are all in the pot and have been coated with oil and are hot. Add the meat back in with some chicken stock or even water if you have no fresh stock. Put the lid on and bring to the boil. Thicken with some cornflour mixed in water if you have used a lot of stock or water (I don't, but I have equipment that can cook it all in 1 or 2 tblspns of water) and add soy or tamari sauce. Season to taste AFTER you have added the stock (which may have salt) and soy sauce. I usually just add lemon juice at the end without the thickening.

Once the prep is done, the whole process takes less than 10mins and you have a wonderful, tasty, nutritious meal.

If you want rice with that, cook it while you are preparing the vegetables and turn the element off and leave the lid on to finish the cooking once you start the stirfry.

luvkatz, Sep 15, 6:25am
You're such a cow.

buzzy110, Sep 15, 6:49am
You feel upset because I cannot grasp the concept that cooking lentils and lasagne is quick and easy! Or do you feel upset because I gave my version of a quick, simple and, I think, cheap meal idea! Or are you upset because I have to apologise for liking lots of vegetables before giving the op what I think she asked for!

roys351, Sep 15, 6:51am
stir fry is quick and easy but so is pasta if you know how to cook it

lythande1, Sep 15, 7:25am
We had Spaghetti Bolognese today, all of it made from scratch, noodles made another time and dried.
Last night a stirfry using minimal chicken - boned out thighs bought on special. Added some assorted vege pieces.
Pretty fast.

uli, Sep 15, 7:36am
So how do you cook pasta!

elliehen, Sep 15, 8:52am
I think roys351 was trying to help buzzy110 by suggesting that pasta is not as difficult to cook as she seems to believe.

randomized, Sep 15, 10:32am
Okay everyone is to each their own and can type their own opinion. Whenever the person takes the offered opinion or not is their choice and no-one else.

Personally I see the above statement as uncalled for and just plain rude.

alottavino, Sep 16, 3:21am
umm thank you all for your comments and ideas

elliehen, Sep 16, 3:28am
Always have a lotta vino nearby as you read Recipes ;)

buzzy110, Sep 16, 4:07am
Pasta, by itself, is simplicity itself. However, the sauces, unless you buy them, can be more time consuming. The fastest pasta dish I know of is to boil your penne or similar till al dente, tip into a bowl and add cream and smoked salmon. Really simple but then it is not a whole meal, imo, because it lacks vegetables.

motorbo, Sep 16, 4:14am
ohh i see ya at it again buzzy .cheap entertainment

cookessentials, Sep 16, 4:47am
Its rife on the boards right now motorbo.

pickles7, Sep 16, 5:08am
I say the last two posts ,have done nothing for this thread, at all.

buzzy110.has added a very nice,quick and easy dinner idea.

buzzy110, Sep 16, 5:14am
They must have forgotten to take their medications today. Quickly ladies, run and take them before you both become so sour you stay that way. Te he.

randomized, Sep 16, 5:15am
Pasta sauces can be quite simple. It depends what kind of flavours you want and etc.

- Butter (or EVOO) + herbs of your choice.
- A favorite salad dressing can also be used.
- Tinned tomatoes + what ever else you'd like
- Grated cheese
- Sourcream and a sweet chilli sauce is really divine!
- Avocado

The list is endless really, once you think about it. it just depends really on what you like.

motorbo, Sep 16, 5:40am
yes .but then they thrive on it .and hey gives us a laugh

elliehen, Sep 16, 5:42am
Nothing easier, especially with a nice green salad.

Broccoli or green beans go well with a creamy pasta sauce.

sparps, Sep 16, 2:54pm
A simple meal for up to four is.

2 cans corned beef
1 packet maccaroni spirals
2 onions
worsestershire sauce

cook maccaroni spirals
fry sliced onions add corned beef fry then mix in maccaroni season to taste with worsestershire sauce.
Add small pickled onions if you like them or pickled gherkin slices though neither are required for this meal.
Cheap quick and easy.

pickles7, Sep 16, 7:52pm
Would you like a recipe to make decent Worcestershire sauce !

cautis, Sep 16, 8:13pm
I would please!

eye_scream, Sep 17, 2:49am
Snitzel, sliced thinly and stirfried, frozen stir fry vege mix, a tin of satay sauce and rice. Very, very simple and quick and tasty.