Lime juice instead of lemon juice

gerry64, Sep 13, 9:56pm
can I substitute lime for lemon juice in a massamman curry - have a lime but not a lemon - cheers

davidt4, Sep 13, 9:58pm
If you use lime juice put it in right at the end as it will turn bitter if it is heated too long.

pickles7, Sep 13, 10:04pm
We love Tamarind, in curries, lime should be fine. Tamarind give a curry a nice citrusy tang, way more than lemon would.

gerry64, Sep 13, 11:17pm
I have tamarind- have bought the curry paste - have found a recipe to do the massamman in the crock pot so am going to give it a go

davidt4, Sep 13, 11:27pm
Tamarind will be ideal in a Massaman curry.

pickles7, Sep 13, 11:37pm
Sounds good, I love using my slow cooker. I cook in it, all night. Sit it in a large baking dish, just in case, of a misshap.

gerry64, Sep 13, 11:43pm
so do I pickles -havent used it before for a curry

pickles7, Sep 13, 11:47pm
Tamarind, is amazing. I concocted a "Tamarind sauce " last year, it is sooooo nice. I will repeat that again this year. All of those "Worcester" type sauces improve, the longer they are kept. Although I did not think it could improve, it has. The last lot of sauce I made, is getting right up there, and it is only a few months old. If I go out choking on my own " Worcestershire sauce" I will go out, happy.just give me more, lol.

gerry64, Sep 14, 2:52am
do you have a recipe -tamarind is my things as well - I think the best meal I have ever had was a whole snapper copked ina tamarind sauce at a Thai restaurant in Taupo - my curry is on and smells so yummy the young bloke next door poked his head over the fence to see if he could come for lunch!

pickles7, Sep 14, 3:55am
"Tamarind sauce"

2 liters of malt vinegar ,
110 grams of tamarind pulp ,
1 Tbsp of sea salt ,
1 cup of brown sugar ,
700 grams onions ,
10 grams of whole pickling spice ,
1/4 tsp mace ,
2 whole chili peppers ,
1 tsp each whole black pepper corns and
1 tsp curry powder.
Simmer all together for 1 hour, strain,
bottle ,
cork and mature.
Has a Citrus flavour.[ tamarind]
This did turn out very well.
I could very well be tempted to make this again.
Both my Husband, and lover, enjoy this sauce.

calista, Sep 14, 5:29am
I sit mine on the floor, inside a baking dish cos in Feb a wonderfful stew ended up all over the floor.

pickles7, Sep 14, 6:10am
what happened!
We would probably end up eating Chihuahua stew, or pussy stew.
if I put it on the floor. lol.

books4nz, Sep 14, 6:20am
Christchurch earthquake in February.

pickles7, Sep 14, 6:32am
Darn. hope no one was hurt.It isn't letting up down there. We just cannot imagine what it is like.

gerry64, Sep 14, 6:38am
thank you pickles - will certainly give this a go

lurtz, Sep 20, 11:01pm
pickles7 this recipe looks nice, so I will give it a go too. I have already earmarked your Worcester sauce to make later in the year. Thank you.

pickles7, Sep 20, 11:22pm
cool, I am going to make up the original recipe, as I am going to make heaps. We intend to sponsor a game of bowls, everyone who enters, will be given a small bottle to take home.
For a smaller recipe, the one .robman7.put up is very nice.
I don't look as to where folk live, I hope. calista . is ok. The earthquakes, don't want to let up, in Christchurch, do they.