Boiling eggs!

Page 1 / 2
meeshel, Sep 13, 8:55am
how do i stop the silly things from cracking while in the pot. every time it happens. grrrr

gardie, Sep 13, 9:03am
room temperature eggs into cold water and bring to boil.
Watched Nigella tonight - she lowered the eggs into boiling water with a slotted spoon then threw in a match cos her granny told her that if the eggs did creack., the match would stop all the whites coming out!Prefer my method lol.

lx4000, Sep 13, 9:08am
a gentle boil and not too much water also.

deus701, Sep 13, 9:26am
I have this device.cooks perfect soft boiled eggs. I only found out about it this year, but apparently it has been around since my grandpa's time. Basically you tip hot boiling water in, and it drains out over a small hole.once all the water has drained, your eggs is ready.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/235620063/Plastic_Egg_boiler/showimage.html

cookessentials, Sep 13, 9:34am
I put salt into the water.

meeshel, Sep 13, 9:36am
thanks. will try all of the above. hahaha

kuaka, Sep 13, 9:42am
mum always added a tsp of vinegar

nfh1, Sep 13, 9:46am
I do that if one cracks.

esther-anne, Sep 13, 9:48am
Vinegar for me too-from the get go!

waswoods, Sep 13, 10:23am
Prick the end of the egg with a pin

lilyfield, Sep 13, 12:51pm
prick the egg. There is a dirt cheap gadget on the market for it

davidt4, Sep 13, 9:15pm
The eggs crack if they are cold when they go into the boiling water.I put the eggs into a bowl and cover them with warm water while the water in the pan comes to the boil.Then lower the eggs in carefully.For soft-boiled eggs three and a half minutes, hard-boiled eight minutes.

buzzy110, Sep 13, 9:59pm
I just start with my eggs in cold water and bring them to the boil - note: I keep my eggs in the fridge as well.

otterhound, Sep 13, 10:29pm
Same as buzzy - I put eggs from the fridge into lukewarm water, put lid on and bring to the boil.Theynever, ever crack this way.Then as soon as they come to the boil,turn down and boil 3 minutes then remove and eat.Perfectly cooked whites with runny yolks=)

beaker59, Sep 14, 6:58am
All sorts of methods here I rarely have the issue but not sure why I just drop them from the fridge into boiling water which in theory shouldn't be succesful but then I do add salt to the water lots of it. I do try to be careful lowering them into the pot to avoid them bouncing on the bottom usually by using a spoon.

elliehen, Sep 14, 8:24am
I do it this way.minus the Granny's match ;)

bugin, Sep 14, 9:03am
Never keep eggs in the fridge .Store them in a tray with the pointy end down ,on a shelf out of the sunlight .
BTW one of our free range hens laid a 120 gm egg this week,OUCH!

otterhound, Sep 14, 8:08pm
Eggs keep up to 3 times longer refrigerated than at room temperature. If baking simply take them out of the fridge and allow to reach room temperature before using.

lyl_guy, Sep 14, 9:06pm
I use lukewarm water with a dash of white vinegar.I just use eggs from the fridge.Bring to boil, and then I turn temp down a bit. I boil for about 2.5mins if eating soft boiled eggs, or about 4 mins for hard boiled (I like them slightly moist still).They cook perfectly every time and never crack.

ferita, Sep 14, 9:10pm
cook fried eggs instead

sarahb5, Sep 14, 11:29pm
I have never refrigerated my eggs and never had one go off apart from once when I bought a dozen and the shell of one was already cracked - I only found out when I got them home from the supermarket so I ditched that one but the rest were fine.The shells of my eggs never crack when I'm cooking them either but my mum's always do because she refrigerates her eggs and I don't.

3084me, Sep 15, 2:07am
I dont have a egg cracking problem, I get my eggs straight from the fridge, pop them into a pot that has warm water iin already an then boil them -- no salt no nothing added

eastie3, Sep 15, 5:27am
I keep my eggs in the fridge.For hardboiled eggs I place them in cold water with a dash of vinegar,cover,bring to the boil and cook for two minutes.I then turn off the element and leave for 12 mins,remove and place under cold running water and peel.Perfect every time.

meeshel, Sep 15, 5:41am
love it

uli, Sep 15, 7:38am
And did the match stop it!