A plain Hedgehog slice recipe

bluetigerrr, Sep 11, 3:11am
Please - has anyone got your average garden gnome Hedgehog Slice recipe plus a good chocolate icing for it as well! I don't really want a whole lot of 'stuff' in it. I think it has a raw egg in the chocolate mix you make on the top of the stove! Many thanks.

cookessentials, Sep 11, 5:24am
This is a recipe from my childhood in the 60's, made by a friend of Mums. I have been making it for a number of years and it is quick, simple and easy.

Shona's Fudge Cake
Cook 1 beaten egg,4oz butter and a small cup of sugar with a dst spoon of cocoa in a saucepan.Add a dash of vanilla essence and 8oz of crushed wine biscuits and 1/4 cup raisins. Press into swiss roll tin and refrigerate. Ice with chocolate icing.

This is as it was written in the 60s with the imperial measurements. I dont always use the raisins either and I sometimes double it to get a thicker slice.

otterhound, Sep 12, 12:31am
1/4 lb butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tblsp cocoa
1 packet wine biscuits, crushed
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
Melt butter, sugar and cocoa.Add beaten egg and vanilla.Bring to the boil, remove from heatand add biscuits.Mix well and press into greased tin to set.Ice while warm with chocolate icing.So easy, and so good!

bluetigerrr, Sep 12, 12:46am
So so coooool . many many thanks cookessentials and otterhound That is EXACTLY the ones I want to make. Whenever I get a nostalgia hit for childhood simplicities in the kitchen, I want to make this and watch old movieson a Sunday with the rain pelting down on the tin roof :)
Again, many thanks for your help with this.

otterhound, Sep 12, 2:37am
I haven't made it in years - because I have no self control and end up eating the whole thing in one day!When I think of making it to share it can't bear the thought of it going all in one day!

bluetigerrr, Sep 12, 3:11am
Please - has anyone got your average garden gnome Hedgehog Slice recipe plus a good chocolate icing for it as well! I don't really want a whole lot of 'stuff' in it. I think it has a raw egg in the chocolate mix you make on the top of the stove! Many thanks.

nik12, Sep 12, 3:37am
I double that recipe as well now, cut smaller fatter bits.
I double it with a packet of malt biscuits and a half tin or so of condensed milk (makes it creamer) and I often put choc chips in instead of sultanas.
Mum added craisens and choc chips once and said it was yummy.

cookessentials, Sep 12, 4:03am
bluetigerrr wrote:
So so coooool . many many thanks cookessentials and otterhound That is EXACTLY the ones I want to make. Whenever I get a nostalgia hit for childhood simplicities in the kitchen, I want to ma

eljayv, Sep 12, 4:37am
The homebrand ginger nuts crushed give it a nice very slight gingery flavour. Spread melted chocolate with a little butter aded over when cold.

cookessentials, Sep 12, 5:07am
Mmm, not quite sure what happened to the post I did. I was going to say I remember the slice always being in the tin at my friends place ( her MUm was Shona) another one that was popular that Mum made was chocolate rough which had coconut in the chocolate icing. Mum used to make that, Lousie slice and Albert square.

cookessentials, Sep 12, 5:24am
This is a recipe from my childhood in the 60's, made by a friend of Mums. I have been making it for a number of years and it is quick, simple and easy.

Shona's Fudge Cake
Cook 1 beaten egg,4oz butter and a small cup of sugar with a dst spoon of cocoa in a saucepan.Add a dash of vanilla essence and 8oz of crushed wine biscuits and 1/4 cup raisins. Press into swiss roll tin and refrigerate. Ice with chocolate icing.

This is as it was written in the 60s with the imperial measurements. I dont always use the raisins either and I sometimes double it to get a thicker slice.

otterhound, Sep 13, 2:37am
I haven't made it in years - because I have no self control and end up eating the whole thing in one day!When I think of making it to share it can't bear the thought of it going all in one day!