Donna Hay Lemon Square recipe in Canvas magazine

chriisyr28, Sep 11, 2:52am
Base says to use 3 1/4 cup castor sugar. Should this be 3/4 cup! Help please!

crazynana, Sep 11, 2:57am
Would imagine it is 3/4 cup. 3 1/4 sounds way too much sugar for any type of slice/square

chriisyr28, Sep 11, 2:59am
Thanks crazynana, thats what I'll do.

guest, Sep 11, 8:42am
I made this recipe from the canvas magazine today. Ii didn't seem right 3 1/4 cup castor sugar but I followed the recipe. Really disappointing. The base is like eating baked sugar and is quite hard and horrible however the top of the slice is gorgeous!

bappy, Sep 11, 8:56pm
Could you pls post the recipe for us!Did it turn out well with the 3/4 cup sugar!

crystalmoon, Sep 12, 2:37am
recipe please :)

silverhammer, Sep 12, 6:50am
4 eggs lightly beaten
1 1/3 cups caster sugar
1/4 cup plain flour
1 cup lemon juice
Base.120g butter, melted.1 3/4 cups plain flour,sifted. 3 1/4 cup caster sugar.
preheat oven 180c. Mix butter, flour, sugar in med. Bowl until well combined. Press into base of lightly greased 20cm/30cm slice tin lined with non stick paper. Bake 15 min or until golden.
Place eggs, sugar, flour and lemon juice in a bowl and whisk until well combined. Pour over base and bake for 15-20min or until slightly golden. Refrigerate for 2 hours until just set. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
*NOTE. I have copied the ingredients exactly.That is a lot of sugar in the base! must be wrong.The photo of the slice looks very delicious

pickles7, Sep 12, 7:40am
Is this helpful!
http://katieskitchenblog.com/category/donna-hay/

Lemon Slice
By Donna Hay

Ingredients
Base
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 1/4 cups plain flour
120g butter
1 tablespoon milk
Topping
1 1/2 tablespoons cornflour
2/3 cup puring or single cream
6 eggs
1 3/4 cups caster sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind
3/4 cup lemon juice

chriisyr28, Sep 12, 9:12pm
Used the 3/4 cup of sugar but base turned out a bit like cardboard! Next time I'll go for 1/4 of a cup. Topping really yummy though. I added lemon rind as well just to make it a bit more tangy.

griffo4, Sep 12, 9:39pm
Hi, Its in the Jo Segar All Things Nice Cookbook. Citrus Tart.
125g Butter
1 C Flour
1/2 C Icing Sugar
Place it all in Food Processor and run till it clumps together. Use floured hands, press mix into base of loose bottomed flan tin. Refrigerate for at least 30 mins.
1 Cup Caster Sugar
1/2 C Lemon Juice
Grated rind of 2 Lemons
2 Tablespoons of Custard Powder, but I used cornflour as I was out. (I liked in better than when I used custard powder personally).
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
3 Eggs
Icing Sugar to dust.
Place all the filling into the food processor and run till combined. Pour into chilled base. Bake for 25 mins until pastry crisp and golden and filling set. Dust with icing sugar.
Its Easy Peasy.!
Molly37 posted this recipe which is in another thread further down front page and it is a really nice recipe and the base is really easy and nice and has good flavour

arti, Sep 12, 10:54pm
definitely mistake (misprint) in amount of sugar! 3 1/4 CUP would be absurd.Would also replace flour with corn flour as I found topping a bit dry. Less butter too for me.

justlooking10, Sep 13, 10:14am
Hubby made the one in as per recipe.Lovely taste, but really sweet.(I re-read the recipe after he made it, cos I thought he has made a mistake).A real shame.