Meringues and fudge

happysmile4, Sep 8, 5:46am
two things I have not ever been able to make!
help pls!

korbo, Sep 8, 7:43am
meringues so easy, got to have an electric beather tho.
and eggs on bench overnight.

jessie981, Sep 8, 8:03am
Compliemts of elliehen

CREAMY, NO-BEAT FUDGE

Bring to boil on medium heat stirring ALL the time:
1 cup brown sugar
125 gm butter (room temp so you're not starting from rock hard)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon golden syrup

Simmer on low for ten minutes, stirring ALL the time all around the pot to prevent little brown bits forming

Remove from heat and quickly stir in till melted 100 gms Whittaker's white chocolate

Pour into 20 cm square tin lined with baking paper

Do not cut until completely cold, for neat edges (the chocolate needs time to set)

Quoteelliehen (3495 )10:02 pm, Thu 1 Sep #13
Microwave Fudge
500gr icing sugar
1/4c milk
1/3c cocoa
1tsp vanilla essence
100gr butter
Cook on high 3 mns. Remove & stir well. Cook further 3 mins. Beat until thick. Pour into a greased container & set in fridge.

sarahb5, Sep 8, 9:53pm
And use a cold glass or stainless bowl - doesn't work in a plastic bowl because its too warm

daleaway, Sep 8, 11:58pm
I make a lot of meringues.

You don't absolutely need an electric beater - a hand beater works just fine and keeps you fit as well. In early settler times they even made meringues by beating the egg whites sideways on a flat plate with a knife. now THAT's tiring!

Agreed the eggs work best at room temperature, and I always use a china or glass bowl.

I use caster sugar rather than ordinary, as it dissolves better. And I beat half of it in then fold in the rest. You can pipe them if you want a special shape, but I twirl the meringues off two spoons - you can get a nice neat shape with a twist on top and it's easy with practice.

I used to put them on watered tinfoil to cook, on a scone tray, but since baking paper arrived in the 1990s switching to that has worked well.

There are all sorts of cooking temperature techniques - put it in the switched off oven after a roast (the old fashioned way) and leave overnight. Do it at a high temperature then a low one. Do it at 150C, or 100C, or whatever, for two hours, or four hours. They all work more or less, as what you are doing with meringues is not cooking but drying out egg white foam. Just experiment and see what works best for your oven.

One thing I have noticed is that every time I change ovens, or cook in someone else's house,I need to adjust the cooking temperatures and times till I get it right for the new oven.

mothergoose_nz, Sep 9, 1:32am
you can cook meringues and pavs on newspaper splashed with water.have tried it and it works.

sarahb5, Sep 9, 1:48am
I never put my meringues on wet paper - why do you need to!