Jo Seagar's sponge recipe

cageyduchess, Sep 7, 8:49pm
Does anyone have this please! Thanks

245sam, Sep 7, 10:12pm
This one, cageyduchess!

MRS BUTTON'S BILLY SPONGE
Note from Jo:This would obviously have originally been made in a billy suspended over a fire or in a coal range, but I've adapted it for a baking in a non-stick loaf tin in a modern oven.

¼ cup sugar
4 eggs
1 cup each ofsugarandfIour
½ tsp baking powder

Makes a large loaf - approximately 20 slices.
Preheat oven to 180°C.Spray a large 8-10-cup loaf tin, preferably non-stick, with non-stick baking spray.Dust the tin with the ¼ cup sugar, shaking out any excess that doesn't stick to the surface.
Beat the eggs and 1 cup sugar with an electric mixer until very thick and pale.Mix in the flour and baking powder, and pour into the greased and sugared tin. Sprinkle a little extra sugar over the surface.
Bake for 30-35 minutes until well risen and rather cracked on the top.
Cool on a wire rack and slice when cold.
The texture is quite chewy.The cake lasts 2-3 days stored in an airtight container.It makes a great dessert base, topped with fruit and ice cream, or it can be grilled or toasted.:-))

cageyduchess, Sep 7, 11:32pm
Thanks so much 245sam. The one I'm looking for has melted sugar with water that you pour in to the mixture.

shellz213, Sep 8, 12:09am
Is this the one you're after cageyduchess!

GLUTEN FREE SPONGE CAKE
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp water
4 eggs, separated
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups cornflour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Oven to 180C.Grease 2 x 21 cm tins and line the base.
Put the sugar and water in a pot and dissolve the sugar, then bring to the boil.
Beat the egg whites until stiff then slowly drizzle in the hot sugar and water mixture while the mixer is running.Then beat really hard.Mix in the egg yolks and vanilla.
Sift dry ingredients and then carefully fold them into the egg mixture.Pour into the prepared tins and bake for 20 minutes.As soon as you take the tins out of the oven drop them from knee height square on to the floor.Cool in the tins.
Serve with whipped cream and strawberries in the middle and yes dust with icing sugar.

fifie, Sep 8, 12:12am
cageyduchess have a sponge recipe that you pour the sugar and water in at boiling point to egg whites, it rises way up very high but its not a jo seagar recipea old family favourite. Yell out if you don't get your other recipe happy to post it for you.

245sam, Sep 8, 12:32am
cageyduchess, I have checked Jo's website and all of Jo's books that I have but none of them have the sponge recipe you describe however you might like to try the following recipe that was recommended and given to me by a former neighbour.

SPONGE
4 eggs (about 1 week old)
170g sugar
2 tbsp cold water
vanilla essence
170g cornflour
1 heaped tsp baking powder

Separate the eggs, then beat the egg whites until stiff.
Meanwhile, bring the sugar and water to the boil.Add the sugar and water while hot, to the egg whites and beat for at least 3 minutes.Add the egg yolks and vanilla essence.
Sift the cornflour and baking powder together twice, then, with a knife, fold them into the egg and sugar mixture.
Bake in cake tins NOT sponge tins at190ºCfor20 minutes.

Hope that helps.:-))

cageyduchess, Sep 8, 12:46am
I really appreciate your help.shelz213 has the one I was looking for

sarahb5, Sep 8, 12:48am
But a sponge is fatless . just eggs, sugar and flour