Gluten free - dairy free party food

loopymiss, Mar 23, 4:49am
Hi all :)

My daughter is having a birthday afternoon, and 1 guest is gluten free and another one is dairy free plus gluten free.
Does anyone have some really yummy recipes that cater for both kids?
Many thanks

loopymiss, Mar 23, 6:41am
any1?

nadineb, Mar 23, 3:11pm
Google Nestles Home Baker the TV show that has been on TV3 and most of Tonis recipes are Gluten Free and they all look yummy

___ellajac___, Mar 23, 5:36pm
Not sure of the age of child/guests. What about rice crackers spread with soy cream cheese and a slice of a cherry tomato (or tiny bit of smoked salmon) on top? My almost 3 year old grand-daughter loves that. Also hundreds and thousands *may* be OK - would make the cream cheese look pretty and partyish. Always check packaging.

You could colour the soy cream cheese - some pale pink... some pale green.

I cook gluten and dairy free and just change the cow milk for soy.

loopymiss, Mar 23, 6:51pm
The guests are 8+ years old.

ruby19, Mar 23, 7:09pm
What about buying a gluten free pizza base, and making a special pizza for the glutenfree child. Just be aware that some ham has gluten in it, but some of the pre packaged ham I think freedom brand does not. Then have some marshmallows( GF), fruit platters, some nacho chips are gluten free, so you could always make a chilli from scratch so they could have a mexican theme. Hummus and carrot and cucumber sticks, sushi are again gluten free.

hezwez, Mar 23, 7:26pm
Perhaps you could ask the child's Mum what some of her favourites are.

herika, Mar 23, 7:36pm
Yes, I would definately ask the childrens parents. Not all soy milk is GF, some have barley in. Not all rice crackers are GF either so be careful there.

Vege sticks with a GF hummus or Guacamole Dip: 2 ripe avocados, 1tsp crushed garlic (optional), 1 tlbsp lemon juice, 1 small onion, salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Blend in kitchen whizz.

G. F. popcorn. A variety of nuts with raisins.

GF Sponge: 3eggs
1/2 cup caster sugar
3/4cup maize cornflour (100% corn)

Preheat moderate oven, grease and line cake tin (I used 23cm round)
Beat eggs in small bowl with electric mixer until thick & creamy about 8minutes.
Add sugar 1table spoon at a time beating after each addition until sugar dissolves.
Sift cornflour 3 times in seperate bowl then sift evenly over egg mixutre, fold in gently. Spread into tin and bake until cooked (about 45mins).
You can then use chelsea icing sugar (this brand is gluten free) to make icing. You could also use this recipe for cupcakes and bake for about 10-15mins. (I havent made this particular recipes so dont know how good it is).

Mock cream:1 1/2 teaspoons maize cornflour
1/2 cup Goats milk (or So Good Regular soy or rice milk)
2 tablespoons dairy free margarine (Olivani)
2 tablespoons sugar
Mix cornflour to a smooth paste with milk. Put into a saucepan & boil 3 to 4 minutes. (Stir constantly & turn heat down when it starts to boil).
Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Cream margarine and sugar.
Add slowly to cool, cooked cornflour beating well.
Will taste just like real cream if beaten well.

Again I would suggest you talk to the parents as there are lots of additives in bought foods that are gluten or dairy. :)

donnabeth, May 30, 11:40am
Has anyone tried herikas recipe?

I use a similar one but add a half teaspoon each of baking soda and cream of tartar. This does not affect the people I cook for who have coeliac disease. My problem is that when I make it as sponge drops, they drop in the middle and stay soggy, unlike a wheaten cornflour sponge which is light and airy. I end up sandwiching two rubbery bits together with cream and hope the cream softens them. I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong.

maandpa2b, May 31, 7:43am
meringues, keep the cream separate. Jelly, not the quick set stuff, it has gluten in it).

chaw1984, Jul 8, 9:19am
Alot of parents of GF childrem bring there own party food. They make cup cakes for their child and have them take there own party type food. So I would talk to the parents.

uli, Jul 8, 9:00pm
Have you thought of meat and fruit and veges - all gluten and dairy free.

You could make

little fruit skewers
meatballs (just meat and veges, no bread crumbs)
nuts and raisins
vegetable tempura with a guacamole dip
some gluten-dairy-free muffins (bin inn has a mix)

good luck with your party!

cookessentials, Jul 8, 9:42pm
There is a great book available- it is an Australian Woem's Weekly Gluten free book with some great children's party ideas. You would probably find it at Whitcoulls or paper Plus.

earthangel4, Jun 14, 8:14am
bumping this up for the gluten free people