What's a nice simple cake recipe for a Dummy!

Page 1 / 2
unknowndisorder, Sep 5, 10:07am
Bumping as about to fall off

jaydan1, Sep 6, 7:47am
Dummy being me lol. I'm not a baker, usually I make rock cakes. But it's my Partners birthday on Thursday ( party Friday) and I would like to make him a cake. Easier the recipe the better, thank-you. Will have a Mr 6 and Miss 8 helping me out.

cookessentials, Sep 6, 7:48am
Hi Jaymie, I am sure you are not dumb! If you can follow a recipe, you will be just fine. We do have some great threads on cakes. Is there anything in particular that he likes! such as chocolate or lemon !

bekspaul, Sep 6, 7:52am
i got this one off here ages ago and i get asked for the recipe all the time.I dont put in the coffee i just add boiling water instead

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2/3 cup cocoa
2/3 cup oil
1 cup milk
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup luke warm black coffee (2 tsp coffee in cup)

Put all ingredients in bowl (not coffee) beat with beater for 2 minutes. Thne stir in coffee, mixture will be running pour into cake tin and bake for about 45 minutes to an hour depending on tin size. You will love this easy mosit cake. Ice with Chocolate icing and sprinkle with a flake on top

hooksie60, Sep 6, 7:53am
I make this once a week makes a small rosat pan size cake

3.5 c flour
1.5 c sugar
3 t/s Baking powder
1.5 c cocoa
1 cup oil
2 cups milk
3 t/s baking soda
1 t/s salt
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups of boiling water (added at end)

Put all ingredients (except for the water) in a large bowl mix well to a batter. add boiling water and mix till smooth bake in the over at 160 for 1hr. you can split the mix and make two smaller cakes or make 1 smaller cake and put the rest into muffin tins the choice is completely up to you. this is an excellent cake if you have a large family or just want to impress people. gets moister by the day so stays nice and fresh very simular to mud cake.

jaydan1, Sep 6, 7:54am
Hi, he asked for Carrot Cake, but that's waay over my head, or a cake in the shape of a rugby Ball. I gave him the option of Banana or Chocolate. I am a terrible baker, but can make a awesome Cannelonni, Lasagne, Roast etc.just not baking.

cookessentials, Sep 6, 7:56am
Ok, that narrows the field a little. I have bumped up a thread I started a couple of years ago called Cakes. Some of the melt N mix recipes are simple and easy to follow. Carrot cake is not actually that difficult to make, to be honest.

cookessentials, Sep 6, 7:57am
Post #9 on the cakes thread may be ok for you.it is a carrot coconut cake

jaydan1, Sep 6, 8:00am
Thanks bekspaul and hooksie for the easy as recipes, right up my alley. cookessential, i'm off to have a look now.

braemac, Sep 6, 9:18am
I got this carrot cake recipe from here I think (sorry can't remember the original poster), its super easy & very moist, honestly easy peasy to make and tastes great!Have never had a fail with it.
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2tsp baking powder
1 1/2 baking soda
1cup brown sugar
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
2tsp cinnamon
225gr drained crushed pineapple
1/4tsp salt
3 eggs
1 cup oil
2 cups grated carrot
grease and line cake tin, mix everything together or chuck it all in a food processor and bake at 180 for 1 - 1 1/2 hours or until cooked.
icing
beat together 1 small carton of cream cheese, juice of 1/2 a lemon and 1 cup icing sugar

deus701, Sep 6, 10:18am
I have a really nice recipe for orange coconut cake. Its usually used as a wedding cake. Let me know if you want it and I will look for it.as some people really hate anything coconut.

spot20, Sep 7, 12:09am
I agree .carrot cake is sooooeasy and always seems to turn our delish!

valentino, Sep 7, 2:11am
Any cake is easy and as cookessentials noted, "Follow the recipe".
Best recipes and the easiest ones are those that have full instructions, where some say for example "Batter" then it will tell you how it looks or should look, likewise "softening Butter", creaming butter and sugar, and so on.

The key is to understand the true meaning of such and when you have spare time, perhaps read up on these wording then any recipe will become simple and easy.

Now try it.

All the best.

Oh, Pam (cookessentials) started a thread "Cooking Class 101" - this could be a starter for you.

Cheers.

marree, Sep 7, 2:28am
In the weekend I made a recipe called 'Bloody Good Chocolate Cake' which I got from here (not sure who originally posted it).It makes a 2 x round tins or large roasting dish full.PLEASE NOTE -I too am normally absolutely useless at baking - this cake turned out like a dream come true - so moist - gobbled up quick too - the coffee gives it that rich darkness and the yoghurt I'm sure the moistness.I have end of year party for my son's rugby league team and that's what I will be making! Thanks also to others who've shared their recipes - it's a bit like a "Julie & Julia' movie going on in my kitchen over the last few months practising all these things & I'm really enjoying.

tarshlove, Sep 7, 2:35am
Both of these are easy, moist and sooo yummy not my recipes but the only ones i use now :o)

Bloody Good Chocolate Cake (copied from here years ago)
Mix in order
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup yoghurt (any flavour)
¾ cup cocoa
200g melted butter
2 teaspoons baking soda
1½ teaspoons vanilla essence
¼ teaspoon salt
3 cups self raising flour (or 3 cups flour and 3 teaspoons Baking Powder)
1 cup black coffee (ie. 1t instant coffee in 1c water)
Mix all together, makes 2 round cakes or a roasting tray full, bake at 180oC until knife comes out clean when tested (about 35-45 minutes).
Recipe can be halved.

AND

Mackenzies Banana Cake
Best banana cake recipe ever for Trade Me recipe users.
Beat 3 eggs,
1.5 cups sugar,
then add 1/2 cup cheap oil and
3/4 cup sour cream & 3 ripe bananas beat all,
then add 2 cups white flour
1.5 tsp of both baking powder and baking soda.
Beat till nice and smooth. bake 170 degrees for 1 hr I ice with white and dark choc I make this at work and it is the most requested of all, keeps really well I double and put one in the freezer. Enjoy.

korbo, Sep 7, 3:40am
poster#10,please can we have the recipe.

I made poster#3.cake this morning. nice big cake.

BUT>>>HELP.It rose high in the middle, then sank down and cracked. the sides have not come up high. Am thinking the tin is too big, as another cake I made in the tin also came up high in middle and not much on sides. the tin measure.is 23cm square, and only 4cm deep.
Do I need a slightly smaller tin, prefer a square one for presentation.

katalin2, Sep 7, 4:31am
Maybe the temperature was too hot! Or cake was over mixed. Tin size shouldn't make much difference.

katalin2, Sep 7, 4:41am
The easiest cake I make is smiley cherubs Magical Orange Cake- you just throw everything in the food processor. Few years ago there was a long thread about variations- never seems to fail. I have used the recipe for cupcakes; you can use it as a loaf; one time I added dried apricots, choc chips and coconut. But the basic orange cake is pretty good. I double the recipe( cut the sugar down though) for a decent size cake.
MAGICAL ORANGE CAKE (posted by smiley cherub)
1 whole orange (or 2 mandarins)
125gr melted butter,
1 cup sugar
2 eggs,
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour.

Process whole orange or mandarins including skin but check for pips first and then add rest of ingredients and process till all combined.
Pour into lined loaf or cake tin and bake at 180C for approx 35-40 mins or ready when tested with skewer.

jaydan1, Sep 7, 4:47am
Thank-you all for the delicious recipes.I'm looking forward to trying my hand at a few of them. Will post back Saturday and let you know how it turns out. Here's hoping all goes well lol.

bekspaul, Sep 7, 6:39am
it does raise high and then drops down to the top of the tin (4cms) i've never had a problem with sinking in the middle.was it fully cooked! do you have a really hot oven!sometimes i find it does need a bit more time in the oven so i cover the top with tin foil just in case of burning the top.

korbo, Sep 7, 7:05am
yes,cake was fully cooked, it tastes really yummy.
I have had my oven for 5years, as they get older do they suddenly start to cook hotter. not the first time this has happened.

jaydan1, Sep 7, 7:47am
Dummy being me lol. I'm not a baker, usually I make rock cakes. But it's my Partners birthday on Thursday ( party Friday) and I would like to make him a cake. Easier the recipe the better, thank-you. Will have a Mr 6 and Miss 8 helping me out.

jaydan1, Sep 7, 7:54am
Hi, he asked for Carrot Cake, but that's waay over my head, or a cake in the shape of a rugby Ball. I gave him the option of Banana or Chocolate. I am a terrible baker, but can make a awesome Cannelonni, Lasagne, Roast etc.just not baking.

jaydan1, Sep 7, 8:00am
Thanks bekspaul and hooksie for the easy as recipes, right up my alley. cookessential, i'm off to have a look now.

braemac, Sep 7, 9:18am
I got this carrot cake recipe from here I think (sorry can't remember the original poster), its super easy & very moist, honestly easy peasy to make and tastes great!Have never had a fail with it.
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2tsp baking powder
1 1/2 baking soda
1cup brown sugar
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
2tsp cinnamon
225gr drained crushed pineapple
1/4tsp salt
3 eggs
1 cup oil
2 cups grated carrot
grease and line cake tin, mix everything together or chuck it all in a food processor and bake at 180 for 1 - 1 1/2 hours or until cooked.
icing
beat together 1 small carton of cream cheese, juice of 1/2 a lemon and 1 cup icing sugar