Polite cabbage recipe

Page 1 / 2
sharma07, Sep 5, 5:38am
does anyone have this recipe please

rainrain1, Sep 5, 6:25am
as opposed to rude do you mean!

waswoods, Sep 5, 6:27am
Fry chopped onions and bacon. Added shredded cabbage with a bit of water and steam until cooked. Not long! Season and serve

shop-a-holic, Sep 5, 6:35am
Finely shred cabbage, and sprinkle with black pepper and half teaspoon sugar. Place knobs of butter and zap in microwave for 2-3 mins.
Cabbage goes sour when cooked, hence the sugar, and not salt.
Add other seasonings as above :-)

*Bonus* If you stir the hot mixture into mashed potatoes, they're called Rumpledethumps.

rainrain1, Sep 5, 6:40am
what is polite cabbage please!

jbsouthland, Sep 5, 6:48am
Maybe made from a Cabbage that minds its manners.doesn't cause wind.and a recipe from Posters who don't think eating Cabbage isbeneath them.henceno rude comments.!!

rainrain1, Sep 5, 6:55am
I was wondering if it was a new strain of cabbage that I hadn't come across.polite cabbage.very funny!

elliehen, Sep 5, 9:18am
These don't sound very polite ;)

shop-a-holic, Sep 6, 3:38am
LOL!
Rumbledethumps = Scotland
Colcannon = Ireland
Hash = American
Bubble & Squeak = England

Oh know (giggles). Hubby requests Rumbledethumps, since I introduced the new language to the house.

davidt4, Sep 6, 4:43am
I wonder if the original poster meant Polish Cabbage!

rainrain1, Sep 6, 5:24am
Or police cabbage!

elliehen, Sep 6, 5:33am
This is the only 'polite cabbage' I've been able to uncover - on a blog :)

"Billions of dollars are raised and funneled towards drug research, when the lowly turmeric plant, the polite cabbage and the humble bowl of miso soup may offer far manifold promise at preventing and treating breast cancer"

rainrain1, Sep 6, 7:13pm

elliehen, Sep 6, 10:39pm
We're all struggling here.we need either the OP or the Trade Me member cabbagefan ;)

bopeep80, Sep 7, 3:14am
My slant on it would be a recipe for cabbage that doesnt cause flatulence

hezwez, Sep 7, 9:29am

elliehen, Sep 7, 9:49am
How can they be certain that cabbage water wasn't just a very effective contraceptive!

winnie231, Sep 7, 10:34am
Damn - I know I actually had a recipe called "polite cabbage" . just don't know if it was in a cookbook I lost in the earthquake.
I'll get back to you on this one .

winnie231, Sep 7, 10:38am
x1
I found it!
It was saved on the old trademe cooks website files . but don't ask me where the name came from . or why .

Polite Cabbage
1/2 cabbage-sliced,25g butter,1 onion-finely chopped,1 apple-peeled&sliced,1/4C vinegar,2Tbs sugar,salt&pepper . Saute cabbage,onion & apple for 5 mins.Add rest,cover & simmer for 10 mins.You could easily double this. posted by winnie231

elliehen, Sep 7, 11:12am
Amazing!

jbsouthland, Sep 7, 8:47pm
Big ups Winnie !But why is it so named.!

shop-a-holic, Sep 7, 9:39pm
Fabulous Winnie! Great to see the sugar in it too! :-)
Two Thumbs Up.

nfh1, Sep 7, 9:46pm
Yes it would be really interesting to know that.

davidt4, Sep 8, 12:36am
I wonder if Polite mutated from Polish, because the recipe is very much an Eastern European style, with the sweet and sour character.

elliehen, Sep 8, 2:22am
I suspect this is the anwer to the conundrum.We ate cabbage dumplings 'pierogies' in the Polish eateries while living in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.