Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 1 / 54
buzzy110, Jul 23, 12:54am
Well I followed this chef's advice this morning and wasn't having such good luck. Dough kept trying to do its own thing. So I wet my fingers and gently spread a sheen of water all over my dough andturned it damp side down, onto a sheet of baking paper and rolled out my dough to paper thin with relatively little fuss. I then put the filled pizza onto my hot oven stone, baking paper and all. Worked brilliantly and didn't stick to anything. Highly recommended.

rupps, Jul 23, 12:58am
Vogels style breadmaker bread please - does anyone have one? Also I've tried to get kibbled wheat, but a lot of places don't have it, and there's no Bin Inn close to us either.

bunny51, Jul 23, 1:31am
I got my kibbled wheat from the health shop. ALso I have seen it in the bulk section of pac n save.

bunny51, Jul 23, 1:34am
I accidently got my pizza base to not shrink. I rolled it out like normal then when it was the right size I put it in the pizza tray (And it shrunk like normal) When I had finished rolling/fitting in tray I covered it with oiled glad wrap as I wasn't making the pizza then. I covered it tightly then I noticed that when I smothed the dough/ spread it out to the sides it stayed there and it was still there when I went back later to make the pizzas.

danielvds, Jul 23, 11:47am
952 I purchased a 1 kg bag of Kibbled wheat at New World the other day. The brand was Sunvalley if that helps

rupps, Jul 24, 1:49am
Thanks danielvds will look in my local New World

evorotorua, Jul 24, 5:18am
Hi Julie I missed this thread over the last few days sorry. yes the cast iron pan makes a lovely crust. My pan has a wooden handle with a metal rod running through it that srews the handle to the pan. I just unsrew it and use that. Makes a lovely size round dome loaf. Nice with soup. Erica

juliewn, Jul 24, 1:06pm
Hi Erica. . now I've clicked who you are. . sorry! I've been used to you as a different name. . how are you? I hope all is well for you. . Your cast iron pan sounds great. . I'd guess the bread is rather moreish. . Take care. . warm thoughts. . Julie

juliewn, Jul 24, 1:11pm
Hi Rupps. . I've copied the following from post 449 in this thread. . the recipe is very popular. . "This is what was used in a breville breadmaker
This was sooo delicious... . almost cake like, I couldn't get enough of it, I'm about to have a go mixing it all by hand and cooking in the oven! This is adapted from the breadmaker recipe book. . * Water 375ml * Oil 3 Tbsp * Salt 2 tsp * Sugar 3 Tbsp * Bread flour (high grade) 2 cups * Wholemeal flour 2 cups * Gluten flour 2 Tbsp * Bread Improver 1 tsp * Milk Powder 2 Tbsp *Sunflower Seeds 3 Tbsp * Kibble wheat 3 1/2 Tbsp * Whole linseeds 3 Tbsp * Sesame seeds 3 Tbsp * Pumpkin seeds 3 Tbsp * Poppy Seeds 2 Tbsp *Yeast (active dried) 2 tsp * All into the breadmaker! oz4uk"

juliewn, Jul 24, 1:12pm
continued: " Well, I baked this from scratch this afternoon! I omitted the bread improver and the gluten flour and milk powder, I put in 1tsp of milk instead. It made a loaf and 3 large rolls. It is devine! Turned out it only needed 20 mins in a 220C oven. Though next time I'll cook it at 180 or 200C. Everyone is currently tucking into fresh seed bread! Yum yum! It proved for 3hrs, 2hrs initially, then an hour once in loaf tin and rolled into balls.
oz4uk" - I hope this helps. .

juliewn, Jul 24, 1:15pm
Hi Buzzy. . I use baking paper to roll the dough out too - using a piece of baking paper on top of the dough also. I've also used plastic wrap as Bunny has posted. . both work well. . have a lovely weekend Everyone. . :-)

juliewn, Jul 24, 1:21pm
Hi Rupps. . I forgot to add before. . . . you can alter the types of seeds and grains in a recipe, keeping the same quantity of the total weight of seeds and grains in the recipe. . ie. . in Oz4uk's recipe above, she used a total of 17 & 1/2 tablespoons of seeds and grains - you can alter those to use 17 % 1/2 tablespoons of whatever grains and seeds you want - or just use one kind. . For a Molenberg type loaf, I've found that equal quantities of kibbled wheat, kibbled rye, soy grits and medium ground cornmeal work well. . Enjoy trying the recipe to make it just as you want it to be. . :-)

rupps, Jul 24, 9:32pm
neat - thanks juliewn will try that. Thanks so much

raewyn64, Jul 25, 12:00am
a roll question I am thinking of making some bread rolls where they get to the stage before baking where they are sort of touching each other so you break them apart after baking - so the inner ones have no outer crusts on them.
So my question is (using the breadmaker to make the dough) when I put them on the tray to do the final rise in the warm do I place them so they are touching then or do I wait until I am about to bake them and then make them touch? If I do it before the final rise won't the rolls in the center get squashed and not rise enough?
Thanks for tips/suggestions as always - they are invaluable.

buzzy110, Jul 25, 12:35am
I'm no expert but am currently having a wonderful time making all sorts of things with my sour dough starter. I made buns last and cooked them this morning for breakfast. I left biggish gaps between each bun and by this morning they'd increased in bulk and were touching so I'd leave then apart. They should roughly double in size when proofing so use that as a rough guide to how far apart you put them.

raewyn64, Jul 25, 12:54am
buzzy excellent thanks. That sounds just right - leave teh gaps and let them grow into them ha ha

Thanks so much

buzzy110, Jul 26, 10:27pm
That is pretty much a hard ask # 967. commercial breads come out of factories that are bursting at the seams with food technologists. Their flours are probably really processed to the hilt. They use special yeasts and additives such as oxidising ingredients, dough conditioners, emulsifiers, enzymes, L-cysteine, etc. They have special proofing ovens and ovens that deliver measured amounts of steam at correctly timed intervals. One of the additives is vitamin C which is toxic when cooked at high temps so most commercial bread is not that great for your health anyway. I'll get off my soap box now and leave more temperate people to contradict me and defend commercial bread. There are yeasts sold in the supermarket with all the additives if you are really keen.

juliewn, Jul 27, 12:58pm
Hi Sea-salt. . sadly most purchased breads are not good copies of the quality of breads that can be made at home. . Adding extra yeast will create a yeasty-flavour, and add little extra volume to the dough. The best ways to obtain a lighter bread naturally are to ensure the dough is left to rise until doubled in size. . at both the initial stage of rising the dough, and at the stage of rising the shaped buns/rolls/breads, before they're baked. . Some recipes include milk, or milk powder, and / or eggs - and recipes with these in tend to be heavier and a little more'cakey' type in texture and density. . using water will give a lighter result. I hope this is of help. .

juliewn, Jul 27, 12:59pm
and. . bumping for Greerg :-)

juliewn, Jul 29, 2:14pm
and for beetroot chutney . .

juliewn, Jul 29, 2:14pm
oops. . wrong thread! :-)

danielvds, Jul 31, 4:15am
Modified grain recipie for Breville bread maker I'm new to bread making and wasn't too chuffed with the recipies in the book that came with the bread maker so decided to have a bit of a play. Firstly I made a 1. 25kg loaf but it was way to large and nearly popped out the top of the machine. I have now cut the ingredients back to make a 1kg loaf which is working very well IMO. Here goes - 360ml warm water, 2T raw sugar, 4t surebake active yeast. Leave in a warm place to active for about 1/2 hour. Then add 1 1/2t salt and 3T rice bran oil. In a plastic bag mix 4 1/3 high grade white four, 2T milk powder, 3T Rye wholegrain flakes, 2T flax seeds, 3T pumpkin seeds. Add to yeast mixture and pop in the bread maker on light/medium, 1kg, basic settings. If anyone more experienced than me can see any room for improvement on this recipie, I would appreciate feedback.

danielvds, Aug 1, 2:06pm
bumped for willis3

evorotorua, Aug 1, 6:52pm
Hi Danielvds This oounds really nice. Thanks. I have never used rice bran oil before but I would guess other oil works well too.

juliewn, Aug 3, 11:52am
Hi. . it sure sounds good Danielvds I bet it tastes good too. . *Hi Erica :-)*