Bacholar biscuit recipe

unknowndisorder, Jul 3, 9:15pm
bump for person looking for jam drops recipe

dimples4, Sep 4, 1:43am
Anybody have this recipe. You melted the butter and sugar in a pot and then added everything else to the pot then rolled into balls and made a dent in to top and put some jam in the dent and cooked them.

shellz213, Sep 4, 2:31am
I haven't got a recipe called bacholar (bachelor!) biscuits but have found one called Santa's Buttons which sounds very, very similar.

150 grams butter
5 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 1/4 cups flour
6 tablespoons cornflour
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
About 2 tablespoons jam

Melt butter in saucepan large enough to mix all the ingredients.Remove from heat.Stir in sugar and vanilla essence.Sift flour and cornflour into the saucepan.Mix until well combined.Roll tablespoonsful of mixture into balls.Roll in nuts and placed on a greased oven tray.Make an indentation in the centre of each biscuit.Spoon a little jam in the centre.Bake at 160C for 15 to 20 minutes or until pale golden.Makes 24.

elliehen, Sep 4, 4:16am
'Bachelor's Buttons' is the recipe I think you're looking for.I'll have a look in some of my pre-1950s cookbooks and get back to you :)

elliehen, Sep 4, 4:28am
Bachelor's Buttons

2 cups flour
1& 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
125gm butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs beaten
extra sugar to roll

Preheat oven to 190*C
Sift together flour and baking powder
Rub in butter until mixture resembles find breadcrumbs
Stir in sugar and beaten eggs
Mix to a soft dough
Take teaspoonfuls of mixture and roll into balls
Roll in sugar and place on a greased baking tray
Bake for 18-20 minutes
Makes 52

This was in early editions of the Edmonds Cookbook and was reprinted in the 2005 edition of Edmonds Classics.

Edited to add: dimples4, the description you give for your recipe sounds more like one called 'Thumbprints'

elliehen, Sep 4, 7:04am
THUMBPRINT COOKIES

1 cup of butter (250 gm) room temperature
1/2 cup of sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
2 cups of flour
1 cup of chopped nuts (optional)
3/4 cup of your favourite jam

1 Cream the butter and sugar on high speed for about 3 minutes.

2 Separate the eggs. Add the yolks and vanilla extract to the butter mixture. If using nuts place the egg whites in a shallow dish on the side and whisk them until bubbly and frothy (the egg whites will be used to keep the nuts on the cookies).

3 Add the flour and salt. Mix until just combined. Place the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes and preheat the oven to 180*C.

4 Roll the dough into balls about 3cm in diameter. If using nuts, dip the balls into the egg whites then roll them into the nuts until covered. Place the balls on cookie sheets lined with baking paper.

5 Press down with your thumb to make a small well in the centre of the cookie. Do not press too hard or the cookie will fall apart. Fill with 1/2 teaspoon of jam.

6 Bake for 12-15 minutes or until slightly firm. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet to firm up before moving them to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Makes 2 dozen cookies.

shellz213, Sep 5, 2:31am
I haven't got a recipe called bacholar (bachelor!) biscuits but have found one called Santa's Buttons which sounds very, very similar.

150 grams butter
5 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 1/4 cups flour
6 tablespoons cornflour
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
About 2 tablespoons jam

Melt butter in saucepan large enough to mix all the ingredients.Remove from heat.Stir in sugar and vanilla essence.Sift flour and cornflour into the saucepan.Mix until well combined.Roll tablespoonsful of mixture into balls.Roll in nuts and placed on a greased oven tray.Make an indentation in the centre of each biscuit.Spoon a little jam in the centre.Bake at 160C for 15 to 20 minutes or until pale golden.Makes 24.

cookessentials, Sep 5, 2:47am
Yep, elliehen has it.Bachelors Buttons is the name.

elliehen, Sep 5, 4:16am
'Bachelor's Buttons' is the recipe I think you're looking for.I'll have a look in some of my pre-1950s cookbooks and get back to you :)

elliehen, Sep 5, 4:28am
Bachelor's Buttons

2 cups flour
1& 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
125gm butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs beaten
extra sugar to roll

Preheat oven to 190*C
Sift together flour and baking powder
Rub in butter until mixture resembles find breadcrumbs
Stir in sugar and beaten eggs
Mix to a soft dough
Take teaspoonfuls of mixture and roll into balls
Roll in sugar and place on a greased baking tray
Bake for 18-20 minutes
Makes 52

This was in early editions of the Edmonds Cookbook and was reprinted in the 2005 edition of Edmonds Classics.

Edited to add: dimples4, the description you give for your recipe sounds more like one called 'Thumbprints'

survivorr, Sep 16, 8:51am
I always add 1 tsp or 1 and a half tsps of Raspberry essence to the mixture . and after I've rolled the ball in sugar I press the middle down and fill with Plum jam.:)