Fail safe recipes/ no preserve/additives.

fluffylinda, Sep 2, 10:19am
hi all i have cut out preserve/additives from diet and wondering does anyone have some recipes they would like to share, thanks in advance.linda

elliehen, Sep 2, 10:37am
Don't you think it's ingredients you need to think about rather than recipes!Use fresh, unprocessed ingredients and cook from scratch.

fluffylinda, Sep 4, 8:55pm
thanks for the comment, im after recipes have ingredients sorted, bumping along.

horizons_, Sep 4, 9:08pm
Any recipes from a book will meet your needs op. Otherwise do a search for 'preserves' on the left.

lx4000, Sep 4, 9:18pm
as in meals or baking!

nfh1, Sep 4, 9:33pm
I cook from scratch more or less every time I cook and do not use things with preservatives or additives, so to me almost all recipes are without preservatives/additives.They only really appears when you start using pre-prepared items.

davidt4, Sep 4, 11:07pm
fluffylinda - is there something in particular that you are looking for!All good cooking is "from scratch" and I'm sure you will get lots of help from this forum if you can be more specific.

What are the ingredients that you have sorted out!

uli, Sep 5, 4:29am
So which ingredients would you want to use in those recipes you are after!

fluffylinda, Sep 5, 9:53am
Thanks for the posts, im after recipes for baking that dont have food colouring or preservatives in them and for main meals that also avoid these things.Will be avoiding processed foods and meats like sausages, ham bacon etc, too.

davidt4, Sep 5, 9:19pm
Here's a simple dish to get you started.Serve for dinner with a green vegetable or green salad.Also good for a lunch box.

Potato, Feta & Garlic Pasties

400g plain flour
240g butter, chilled, in cubes
120 ml chilled water
300g potatoes
8 cloves garlic
2 tsp rosemary leaves, chopped
2 tab ev olive oil
80g feta, crumbled
½ tsp lemon zest
salt
black pepper
1 egg yolk
1 tab milk

Make pastry from flour, butter and water.Shape into flat disc and chill 1 - 12 hours.
Set oven to 180C.
Boil potatoes in their skins 15 min until just cooked.Drain, peel and cut into 1 cm dice.Cool.

Put garlic, rosemary and 1 tab oil into foil package, roast 30 min.Cool, squeeze out pulp and chop.Add to potatoes along with oil and rosemary from package.Add remaining oil, feta, lemon and salt, pepper, gently combine.Cool.

Roll half pastry 3 mm, cut out 8 x 15cm rounds.Put 2 tab filling on each, brush unfilled side with mixture of yolk and milk, fold into pasties.Repeat.Arrange on oven tray.

Brush tops with rest of egg and milk, chill 30 min.

Bake 30 min until golden.Serve warm or cool.

lx4000, Sep 5, 9:25pm
IMPOSSIBLE SCONES

Melt 50g butter in a jug.

Whisk in 1 egg.

Add 2 cups of milk.

Add to 4 to 5+ cups of self-raising flour and mix with a knife. This should be a wettish mix.

Oven at 230oC for about 10 mins. Hope you enjoy them! Yummo!

Date or sultana scones. Soak dried fruit in milk for an hour or so before making.

You can add cheese, onion etc for savoury scones. Plain flour can be used, just add 2 teaspoons of Baking Powder Per Cup of flour used.

lx4000, Sep 5, 9:26pm
Moist date loaf
Any dried fruit can be used instead of dates
Margaret

Ingredients
2 cups dates
2 cups boiling water
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups sugar
3 cups flour

2 teaspoons baking soda
1 egg
Recipe Tools
Method
Preheat oven to 180 C Put dates, water, butter and sugar into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and add the flour 1 cup at a time, beating well at each addition. Next add the baking soda and lastly the egg. Mix thoroughly and put into 2 well greased loaf tins. Bake 45-50 mins Any dried fruit can be used instead of dates

buzzy110, Sep 6, 5:11am
This is true. However, as a lot of recipes call for tinned tomatoes, tomato paste, cottage cheese, vegetable stock powders, and other processed and canned foods - one even has red wine, which, like all wines, has a preservative, etc, they hardly meet the 'no preservatives' criteria.

lx4000, Sep 6, 9:35pm
make your own stocks. Its easy. Vege stock, just keep the cooking water and reduce:)

By jams, peserves at makets etc that are home made!

pickles7, Sep 6, 9:59pm
You do need to find a health food outlet and buy from there. Certified, Organic fruit and vegetables are sold there. You will find everything you require there. all cooking ingredients, Jams, pickles, etc made with organic produce. I make my own, vinegars, jams, preserves, but I cannot say they are free of contaminants. I buy the fruit from the Orchard, any Orchard. I don't even ask if they use spray. maybe I will this year.

fluffylinda, Sep 7, 10:02am
thanks for replying to my posts, very helpful, much appreciated, linda.

elliehen, Sep 16, 6:14am
A useful organic vegetable stock available in supermarkets.

Massel Ultracube stock cubes (Vegetable), made in Australia - has an Aussie flag top left on the pack and is:
Natural (flavour profile is obtained solely from natural, vegetable ingredients)
No preservatives
Gluten free
Lactose free
Trans fat free
Cholesterol free
No animal content
No added MSG

Contains 10 cubes, makes 5 litres and is very flavoursome.Comes in a salt-reduced packet also, if you want it.

nfh1, Sep 16, 6:15am
I bought some of these yesterday elliehen - never seen them before.

elliehen, Sep 16, 6:45am
Start carefully if you've got the one that's not salt-reduced because they are quite concentrated and it's easy to oversalt your dish.maybe start with half a cube!

fluffylinda, Sep 16, 7:38am
thanks for that, what supermarket did you buy them from! i have never heard on them before.

elliehen, Sep 16, 7:54am
I've bought them from both New World and Countdown, but noticed this week that Countdown seems to have them at a permanent price lower than NW.

nfh1, Sep 16, 8:00am
Thanks - I did buy the salt-reduced ones and got them at New World.