RUSSIAN FUDGE - sugar wont disolve!

Page 1 / 2
we_egg, Jul 7, 3:39am
elliehen. you got me onto this recipe a year or so ago. this fudge is totally to die for!would love a chocolate equivalent.

wildflower, Jul 7, 4:22am
Guessing you could just emit the golden syrup and use milk or dark chocolate.

terraalba, Jul 7, 8:01am
In the days when I used to make Russian fudge, I added some corn syrup, about a tablespoon rounded, some fresh cream if I wanted to flavour it with sherry or brandy essence. I noticed when I added the corn syrup, the texture was superior. The sugar always melted and the fudge melted in the mouth.

elliehen, Jul 7, 8:37am
I call the recipe 'Joy's Fudge'.came from a friend.I blame her ;)

I do make a Ginger version.At the start of the cooking add 1 teaspoon ground ginger, and then at the end when you add the white chocolate, add half a packet of chopped crystallised ginger.That's my favourite.

I did try it with cocoa, dark chocolate and walnuts, but it was a bit insipid - might give it another go.

rainrain1, Jul 7, 8:34pm
I can't understand how the sugar cannot be dissolved, it should dissolve in the stirred heating process before it starts to boil

wildflower, Jul 8, 3:28am
You'd think but I made something once and couldn't get sugar to dissolve, it just crystalized more.

Jo Seagar's recipe that used chocolate and you can make white, milk or dark fudge uses glucose syrup but years since I made it.

xtownie, Sep 1, 2:48am
I have just tried making Russian Fudge (Jo Segar recipe) I have followed the recipe so accurately, even used a candy thermometer to get it exactly to the "soft ball" stage, but the sugar just wouldnt disolve! What have I done wrong! Recipe did say disolve sugar before bring to soft boil, but the sugar just would not disolve.

cool_sta, Sep 1, 2:50am
did you use castor sugar!i put my sugar into a blender first so its a powder lol lazyness :)

xtownie, Sep 1, 3:01am
no I just used normal sugar as recipe said but thats a dam good idea putting it thru blender

wildflower, Sep 1, 3:55am
Were you stirring it!That can make sugar go crystalized.

xtownie, Sep 1, 4:00am
I was stiring it, should I have not stired!

dbab, Sep 1, 4:28am
No.
You could use this batch as caramel sauce over something for dessert

xtownie, Sep 1, 4:38am
Good idea thanks for that tip :)

bedazzledjewels, Sep 1, 4:46am
Maybe the initial temperature wasn't high enough - when you were melting everything!

elliehen, Sep 1, 4:54am
BJ, wash your mouth out with soap!

You should not even have an image of sugar or fudge in your paleo head ;)

bedazzledjewels, Sep 1, 5:05am
Ha ha - I don't. But I remember this happening to me from my school gala days - a looong time ago!

wasala, Sep 1, 9:18am
Just scrape it out of the tin, put it back in the pot then re-heat it on a very low heat and then boil it for another 5 mins and beat it again.

xtownie, Sep 1, 9:41am
Im now thinking it may be because I have gas cooktop and heat isnt going low enough! I tried a 2nd batch and had exactly the same trouble.

elliehen, Sep 1, 10:02am
If you can afford more ingredients and feel you want to try again, have a go at this recipe.It never fails, because of the chocolate which helps it set.

CREAMY, NO-BEAT FUDGE

Bring to boil on medium heat stirring ALL the time:
1 cup brown sugar
125 gm butter (room temp so you're not starting from rock hard)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon golden syrup

Simmer on low for ten minutes, stirring ALL the time all around the pot to prevent little brown bits forming

Remove from heat and quickly stir in till melted 100 gms Whittaker's white chocolate

Pour into 20 cm square tin lined with baking paper

Do not cut until completely cold, for neat edges (the chocolate needs time to set)

xtownie, Sep 1, 6:05pm
thanks elliehen I will give that a go this arvo this recipe has cropped up on a few of my searches for russian fudge.
If this attempt fails then hankees and sox again for Fathers day! (lol no yummy fudge)

voyager4, Sep 2, 1:09am
I prefer the Alison Holst recipe.And I do it in the microwave.

bedazzledjewels, Sep 2, 4:46am
Maybe the initial temperature wasn't high enough - when you were melting everything!

bedazzledjewels, Sep 2, 5:05am
Ha ha - I don't. But I remember this happening to me from my school gala days - a looong time ago!

whiskey13, Sep 2, 8:16am
Thanks for this recipe
Is it a no fail type recipe as i LOVE fudge but have never made it as I'm to scared of failing lol

elliehen, Sep 2, 10:02am
If you can afford more ingredients and feel you want to try again, have a go at this recipe.It never fails, because of the chocolate which helps it set.

CREAMY, NO-BEAT FUDGE

Bring to boil on medium heat stirring ALL the time:
1 cup brown sugar
125 gm butter (room temp so you're not starting from rock hard)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon golden syrup

Simmer on low for ten minutes, stirring ALL the time all around the pot to prevent little brown bits forming

Remove from heat and quickly stir in till melted 100 gms Whittaker's white chocolate

Pour into 20 cm square tin lined with baking paper

Do not cut until completely cold, for neat edges (the chocolate needs time to set)