Wanting to eat more fresh fish

mike92, Aug 31, 10:20pm
Have to admit, I haven't been big on doing fish as the kids tend to turn their noses up and say it tastes 'too fishy'.let alone the smell when cooking.

What types of fresh or frozen fish could I start with that's not 'too fishy'.

lavender32, Aug 31, 11:27pm
If it is fresh then it really shouldn't smell 'fishy'.

mike92, Aug 31, 11:29pm
But if I did it from frozen, like bought supermarket frozen, then it should have been fresh!

darn fussy kids.I love fish!

brightspark, Aug 31, 11:41pm
Monk Fish is fantastic, very fleshy and doesn't fall apart. Also great for absorbing other flavours.

davidt4, Aug 31, 11:42pm
Exactly.Do you have any good fishmongers in your area!It would be helpful to make friends with him or her, find out when the fish is delivered and buy it when it is fresh.Non-oily species like snapper, monkfish and terakihi might be the best option.

Will your household eat smoked fish!

mike92, Sep 1, 1:48am
yes, we do have a fish shop here. I just thought I'd ask for some pointers before I go in and look like a twit saying 'not too fishy!" Lol.

Cool.snapper, monkfish and terakihi!

elliehen, Sep 1, 2:50am
You're a bit too far inland for a wharf shop, but lucky Nelsonians can buy it straight from the fisherfolk.

Sometimes a large supermarket will have a Special labelled 'weather and catch permitting', and because of the volume of sales, you have a good chance of getting it fresher.

lythande1, Sep 1, 5:26am
Tinned salmon, I hate fish (except smoked) and I can tolerate tinned salmon.
Or even salmon fillets, fairly bland - but more expensive than tinned.

beaker59, Sep 1, 5:49am
for a budget mild flavoured fish consider Gurnard generally its a bit cheaper another cheapy would be Hoki also good. The other thing is keep the pieces small which generally and crumb well then fry in butter oil mix then the pieces are virtually finger food which kids love.

Another way to get the kids keen is to make those small crumbed fillets into burgers using small rolls and some tartare sauce with a little salad.