Nice dense chocolate cupcake recipe

dolphinfan, Aug 28, 9:49am
I need a tried and true, dense chocolate cupcake recipe.
Doing a cupcake tower for a friends wedding and I really don't have a good recipe that I like.
I do have a chocolate cake recipe that I do like, any thoughts on whether this would be OK to do in miniature!

mwsmith719, Aug 28, 10:40am
Maybe have a trial run!

elliehen, Aug 28, 11:17am
Ask Mrs Cake (aka rosathemad on TradeMe).She knows everything there is to know about baking cakes, and will answer your question.

http://www.mrscake.co.nz/

flower-child01, Aug 28, 10:28pm
Why not make chocolate mud cake done in cupcakes, on http://brama-sole.co.nz is my tried and true mudcake recipe.

dolphinfan, Aug 29, 9:49am
I need a tried and true, dense chocolate cupcake recipe.
Doing a cupcake tower for a friends wedding and I really don't have a good recipe that I like.
I do have a chocolate cake recipe that I do like, any thoughts on whether this would be OK to do in miniature!

nzkea1, Aug 31, 6:43am
Yes as others suggest,try out a good chocolate mud cake recipe, I am about to try out a new recipe for 'a very good, very chocolatey chocolate cake' either tonight or tomorrow apparently it won 3rd place in the men's only chocolate cake selection in Tasmania.We are heading to Nim Bin and Byron Bay with a friend from Christchurch on Friday for a Picnic and will be taking this with us - amongst a lot of other gorgeous yummy picnic treats :O)

nzkea1, Sep 1, 6:43am
Yes as others suggest,try out a good chocolate mud cake recipe, I am about to try out a new recipe for 'a very good, very chocolatey chocolate cake' either tonight or tomorrow apparently it won 3rd place in the men's only chocolate cake selection in Tasmania.We are heading to Nim Bin and Byron Bay with a friend from Christchurch on Friday for a Picnic and will be taking this with us - amongst a lot of other gorgeous yummy picnic treats :O)

lodgelocum, Sep 3, 5:26am
i would recommend the Jo Seagers "Easy Peasy Chocolate Cake recipe, no butter, oil instead, it is a great recipe and would work well as cupcakes, keeps moist but firm for at least a week.

holmsies, Sep 4, 3:50am
I had a superb chocolate cupcake recently. When i asked for the recipe I was told it was a Destitute Gourmet recipe.You might be able to google it up, not sure.They were nice and moist and very chocolatey, without being heavy.I haven't tried to make them myself yet.

elliehen, Sep 4, 4:43am
Dana's Chocolate Cupcakes

You know this recipe already, but you might not know that it makes great cupcakes
We believe this recipe is now one of the most frequently made recipes in the country. When people bring their cook books to dg cooking classes for me to sign, the page with Dana’s chocolate cake is always the most splattered and tattered, I even had a lady tell me she made it for the Sultan of Brunei’s household while doing a stint as their cook! It cuts neatly and freezes well too.

Preheat oven to 180°C

1 2/3 cups flour
1½ cups sugar
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp baking soda – yes baking soda! (see cooks tips)
1 tsp salt
1½ cups of trim milk
100 g melted butter
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Pour into the prepared patty cake cases and bake until firm and springy, this will depend on the size of the cases but probably at least 20 minutes.

Classic Chocolate Frosting
250 g icing sugar
100 g butter
1/3 cup cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
milk to mix

Place butter and dry ingredients in processor, pulse to combine then add a dash of milk and pulse again, continue until you achieve a soft spreadable icing then add vanilla.

Source: Destitute Gourmet website

buzzy110, Sep 4, 6:30am
I realise that a more experienced cup cake and muffin maker would have no trouble figuring out the method, but for those not so experienced, can you please add in the method for the cake portion of your recipe.

elliehen, Sep 4, 6:52am
Happy to help you, buzzy110 ;)

My recipe!I wish.

Have another look at the website and you'll see that Sophie processes (or beats) all ingredients together.

leogal1, Sep 4, 7:06am
Yip I have tried the Dana's Choccie Cake recipe from Destitute Gourmet, and it is delish!Keeps well too

holmsies, Sep 5, 3:50am
I had a superb chocolate cupcake recently. When i asked for the recipe I was told it was a Destitute Gourmet recipe.You might be able to google it up, not sure.They were nice and moist and very chocolatey, without being heavy.I haven't tried to make them myself yet.

elliehen, Sep 5, 4:43am
Dana's Chocolate Cupcakes

You know this recipe already, but you might not know that it makes great cupcakes
We believe this recipe is now one of the most frequently made recipes in the country. When people bring their cook books to dg cooking classes for me to sign, the page with Dana’s chocolate cake is always the most splattered and tattered, I even had a lady tell me she made it for the Sultan of Brunei’s household while doing a stint as their cook! It cuts neatly and freezes well too.

Preheat oven to 180°C

1 2/3 cups flour
1½ cups sugar
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp baking soda – yes baking soda! (see cooks tips)
1 tsp salt
1½ cups of trim milk
100 g melted butter
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Pour into the prepared patty cake cases and bake until firm and springy, this will depend on the size of the cases but probably at least 20 minutes.

Classic Chocolate Frosting
250 g icing sugar
100 g butter
1/3 cup cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
milk to mix

Place butter and dry ingredients in processor, pulse to combine then add a dash of milk and pulse again, continue until you achieve a soft spreadable icing then add vanilla.

Source: Destitute Gourmet website.edited to add:
Scroll to the bottom of this webpage and you'll see recipe archives http://destitutegourmet.blogspot.com/2010/03/cupcakes.html

elliehen, Sep 5, 6:52am
Happy to help you, buzzy110 ;)

My recipe!I wish.

Have another look at the website and you'll see that Sophie processes (or beats) all ingredients together.

leogal1, Sep 5, 7:06am
Yip I have tried the Dana's Choccie Cake recipe from Destitute Gourmet, and it is delish!Keeps well too