Please help need Dairy free Party food ideas!

zupps, Aug 28, 8:41am
Hi there, it is my daughters 10th Birthday this Saturday and one of her friends is allergic to milk products. I have seen this girl at other party's and she always seems to be given a plate with "her kind of food" on it then has to watch all the other kids hoe into cream cakes etc. I would really like to make all the food the same so she doesn't feel like the odd child out.
If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate them!

auntlb, Aug 28, 8:46am
Oreo cookies - the normal sized ones not the minis (weird as I would think they would be the same recipe)
Arnotts Lemon Crisp biscuits
Arnotts Shortbread Creams (yes dairy free LOL)
Fruit kebabs
Popcorn
Plain Chippies
Whittakers 50% dark choclate sante bars (Whittakers plain dark choc 50% or more are dairy free

Would you like my dairy free birthday cake recipe!

mypeaches, Aug 28, 9:26am
Ask her mum, I'm sure she would really appreciate the gesture and effort:-)and will have some great ideas/suggestions.
Marshmallow in icecream cone! (google is your friend)

lurtz, Aug 28, 9:33am
Zupps. All the best, and good on you for caring. I have no brilliant ideas, however I have Googledand there is a lot of great food out there for dairy free treats. I have copied one Kiwi link that is about birthday food. :-)

kiwifamilies.co.nz/Topics/Birt-
hdays/Party+Food/Dairy+Free+Pa-
rty+Food.

kiwigoldie, Aug 28, 9:37am
Here is an awesome brownie recipe

Ingredients
• 1 cup unsweetened apple purée/sauce
• 1/3 cup cocoa
• 3/4 cup self-raising flour
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
• 3/4 cup (70g) walnuts, chopped
Preheat the oven to 175°C and lightly spray or oil a 20x20cm baking dish.

Place apple purée in a medium-sized bowl. Sift in the cocoa, flour and baking soda. Add the sugar and salt and mix until just combined. Do not over-mix as this will toughen the brownies. Gently fold in the chocolate chips and the walnuts. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and bake for around 25-30 minutes or until the centre feels set and fudgy when a skewer is inserted.

Cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before turning out. Cool completely before slicing into squares. If desired, dust with sifted icing sugar before serving.

lx4000, Aug 28, 10:25am
Easiest Chocolate Cake
-No Beating, No Eggs
This chocolate cake is moist, cheap and easy to make. Great for large families.
3 cups flour,
2 cups sugar,
6 tabs cocoa,
1tspn salt,
2 tspns Baking Soda,
1 tspn Vanilla,
3/4 cup Oil,
2 tabs Vinegar,
2 cups water.
Mix all ingredients together and bake in oven tray or similar dish at 180 for approx 30mins.
Ingredients sound weird but it is absolutely brilliant, very tasty and moist, my 10 year old makes it.
again from a poster here.

lx4000, Aug 28, 10:26am
BREAKFAST MUFFINS

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups (275g) caster sugar
2 cups (300g) plain flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup sultanas
1 cup desiccated coconut

2 cups grated carrot
1 cup grated apple

1 cup chopped walnuts

3 eggs

1 cup (250ml) vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Icing sugar, to dust

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180degC.

2. Sift sugar, flour, cinnamon and powder into a large bowl.

Add sultanas, carrot, apple, coconut and walnuts.

In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, oil and vanilla.

3. Add to the dry ingredients and fold until just combined - do not over mix.

4. Spoon into muffin pans and bake for

25 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve dusted with icing sugar.

lx4000, Aug 28, 10:37am
Butterless Banana Cake :

1.5 cups of plain flour
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
3/4 cup of sugar

Sift into large bowl, then add :

2 eggs (lightly beaten)
1/2 cup oil (I use Olys or Rice Bran)
3 mashed bananas

Mix and pour into a lined cake tin. Bake at 150 C for 1 hour.
15 Prep time - and it's lovely! Ice with icing of your choice.

Edited by solo2 at 1:14 pm, Fri 4 Feb

Quotesolo2 (159

mwsmith719, Aug 28, 10:37am
Meringue is dairy free
Most plain potato chips are
Fruit kebabs
Some brands of ginger biscuits
Strawberries dipped in cooking chocolate
Fairy bread with olivani instead of butter
Most recipes for baked food you can substitute butter and milk with olivani and soy milk - might want to add a bit more sugar though.
Most lollies are dairy free
Marshmellows
rice bubble slice thing that uses kremelta (can't remember its name)
Some brands of sausage rolls.
Having had dairy intolerant children, my advice is to go through the supermarket slowly (with no kids) and read the labels on everything to work out what is dairy free.

lx4000, Aug 28, 10:43am
can you bake using almond, soy or goats milk cheese etc! and then there is the dairy free marg

frances1266, Aug 28, 11:51am
Heaps of vegan sites on Google.

zupps, Aug 28, 9:04pm
Thanks so much for all your ideas! I was very nervous but feel a bit more relieved now. I will try some of the recipes this week esp cakes, auntlb I would love your cake recipe too please. I really appreciate all of your time and effort helping me with this everyone! I was going to google but thought I should accept help from people who had actually tried the recipes. You guys rock!

ohaupovet, Aug 28, 11:30pm
Hey
I am dairy free and i also struggled to begin with to make baking dairy free, but i have found that most recipes 95% of the time work perfectly fine with soy milk and dairy free margarine, and best thing is most people don't even realise its dairy free.
Simple and easy you just use any trusted recipe and substitute! =)

Good Luck

carlos57, Aug 29, 1:32am
I had two children on a lactose-free diet for many years, and I would often make jelly cups for parties. When my son had a car party, I set the jelly in layers in see-through cups to look like traffic lights :) You can also make a firmer jelly, set it in a shallow dish, and cut it into diamond shapes to look like jewels.

auntlb, Aug 29, 3:27am
Chocolate Cake (egg and dairy free) - from Essentially Food Feb/March 2005
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 c sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
1/4 cup cocoa
1/3 cup oil
1 c cold water
1 Tablespoon vinegar

Combine all but vinegar and beat togther until smooth.Fold in vinegar.Bake at 180C for 30mins.
We make this recipe all the time for birthdays and it tastes just like a 'normal' cake lol.Can be microwaved also - as we normally do 1 1/2 times the recipe it takes 8 1/2 mins in the microwave in a ring tin.
Recipe for icing:
2 tsp margarine (use a dairy free one)
3 Tablespoons cocoa
1 1/2 - 2 cups icing sugar
Mix together with a little hot water if required until blended.I then beat for a couple of minutes until it is light and fluffy

nanasee1, Aug 29, 6:29am
Chocolate Cake (Essentially Food Feb/March 2005)
1 ½ cups plain flour
1 cup sugar
1 tea baking soda
½ tea salt
2 tea vanilla essence
¼ cup cocoa
1/3 cup oil
1 cup cold water
1 Tab vinegar
Combine all but vinegar and beat until smooth.Fold in vinegar.Bake ½ hour at 180.Note it is BAKING SODA not baking powder in this cake.I gave the recipe to auntlb! I also find 1tsp of kremelta with the dairy free spread in the icing makes for a better set but it isn't essential.

auntlb, Aug 29, 9:36am
Oops - you are right nanasee1 - sorry zupps - it is definitely meant to be BAKING SODA not baking powder as I wrote first time round!

zupps, Sep 4, 11:20pm
The party went well even when I found not the night before the party that one of the little girls was allergic to eggs. My daughter only found out that day at school because they had a class party and it was wriiten on the class blackboard.
I am so amazed that her mother didn't say anything to me! Having said that she didn't even ring to RSVP, her daughter told my daughter at school that she was coming!!
Thanks for the dairy free egg free cake recipe that saved my life! I did it as cupcakes and it went down a treat!