Making marmalade, recipe says leave overnght do I!

jamiemew, Aug 24, 3:22am
Ok I'm making a marmalade odd as it sounds it's got grated carrot lemon juice and rind that says to place in small sauce pan and leave overnight! Question: do I have to leave over night! I want to make it now can I just boil longer or something! Thanks

wheelz, Aug 24, 3:29am
it's better overnight

jamiemew, Aug 24, 3:30am
Just wondering why that is! What does the leaving it do! It's a new recipe and I've never made marmalade before only jam so just curious

ninascraft, Aug 25, 12:23am
Its all to do with chemical breakdown.Time is needed for the natural process of chemical infusion./ breakdown of the fibers etc(sounds good eh)If you cheat and don't soak overnight or all day.(min 8 hours) then the right balance will not be achieved and possibly your marmalade will not set at all, unless you use Certo.Hope your cooking went well as I see this was posted almost 24hrs ago.

darlingmole, Aug 25, 12:29am
what's with the carrot juice!could you post up the recipe please!

beaker59, Aug 25, 12:34am
Interesting point, I was told its about the soaking of water into the pithy bits so that they go more transparent so you get that glazed fruit look certainly thats the effect I have noticed in the past. But then you may well be right.

Tell us how the carrot marmalade works sounds interesting. :)

jamiemew, Aug 25, 12:51am
WELLLLLLL IT TASTES GREAT lol yes i cheated i dont have time to wait lol i had to take my chance while the kids were happy! i did us a carrot which was too big lol so had to add extra water and sugar but it honestly tastes great. its called a mock orange marmalade. will find recipe and post

jamiemew, Aug 25, 12:53am
Mock Orange Marmalade
Easy
Ready in 1 hour 40 mins
Sweet marmalade made only from carrot and lemon that looks and tastes like orange marmalade. You can multiply the quantities and make more at one time.
Ingredients
Makes: 2 small jars or one large jar
2 med lemons
1 large thin carrot
500ml boiling water
1 cup white sugar
Preparation method
Prep: 10 mins |Cook: 1 hour 20 mins | Extra time:10 mins, preserving
1. Grate the lemon rind and then juice the lemons, peel and grate the carrot. Put them all in a small saucepan - add boiling water, put lid on and let stand for 12 hrs or overnight

2. Whne you're ready to make the jam, boil it all gently for 20 mins, till the peel softened. Add the sugar and continue with boiling gently for approx 1 hr (or until thickened) stir occasionally

3. Pour into warm sterilized jar and leave till cool to seal.

harrislucinda, Aug 25, 5:09am
thankswilltrythatfriday

harrislucinda, Aug 26, 4:00am
yesmade thistodayreallynice

tramore, Aug 26, 5:40am
Sounds great. I'll try it too!I wonder if you could use a crockpot to make it since it requires gentle boiling.Might try it!

harrislucinda, Aug 26, 7:00am
itonlymade11/2jarsasonly 500mlswaterneedsto simmertovapourate

tramore, Aug 28, 12:54am
Tried it,took too long to boil and evaporate!Put it on the stove in the end. And I think I put too much rind gratings as there didn't seem enough liquid for the amount of grated carrot and lemon.Still, it is nice and I'lldefinitely make more!Thanks for the recipe!

harrislucinda, Aug 28, 2:01am
ITSAID1HRTOCOOK ,BUTMINETHICKENEDINLESSTHANTHAT