New Cooking Hob.

fisher, Aug 21, 1:06pm
Choose between
Gas. Induction. Electric solid element .Ceramic
and why!

lulu239, Aug 21, 6:09pm
We have a full gas stove purchased recently to replace another full gas appliance. If I had a choice I would go for the electric oven and a gas hob. When it is switched off, the heat stops and is not wasted. As an extra comment, we have had quite a bit of trouble with the temperature of the oven. I just can't get the temperature right for the things I normally bake. Both the seller and the installer say that the temperature can vary 20°C. To my way of thinking, that's not good enough. We put a thermometer in the oven and now have a chart of corrected temps. We had the heavy wiring taken out when we first got natural gas and really could not afford to have to rewire again. Good luck with your choice fisher.

davidt4, Aug 21, 8:40pm
Gas, because it's so easy to manipulate the heat.If you use a wok, gas is the only way to get the right heat.I think gas is cheaper than electricity in most areas too.

I recently spent two months travelling and had to cook with various induction hobs.I could never get them to keep to a steady heat, instead they would wax and wane and they drove me mad.

neil_di, Aug 21, 8:45pm
We are a rebuild and I am looking at my options for appliances. My son recently got an induction cooktop and he and his wife think it is fantastic. It does ,of course, require the correct cookware which may mean giving up some of my favourites eg carbon steel wok. Having had ceramic,gas and soild elements the only one I really didn't like was the solid element.temp control and suprisingly the ceramic cooktop was my favourite esp for cleaning.so I think my choice will be either induction or ceramic.hubby wants to get induction.will be intersted to hear other views.

hazedaze, Aug 22, 4:35am
I went from a ceramic cooktop - which was old and causing problems - to an induction, and I love it.Instant heat just like gas.As long as a magnet (fridge type bendy one is fine) will stick to the base of a piece of cookwear, then that's induction compatible. Cast iron is fine too.Doesn't have to be an expensive pot, just 'magnetic' base.Mind you, most of the pots and pans out now have it written on the box or packaging if it can be used for induction tops.

raebee, Aug 22, 8:50am
i loooove my induction too.gives the instant and controllable heat of gas, but the easy clean surface of ceramic.Can even put a paper towel down under your pot if you think it might spill over.And can get them at reasonable prices if you look around:Mine was half price at kitchen things and they often have specials on.

cookessentials, Aug 22, 10:00am
If I had a choice.an AGA. Have had gas ( which was great) electric ring, ceramic ( which I have at the moment and hate it)
Aga with double oven with a wetback fr hot water and heating. I like the different areas on the top for simmering or boiling or just keeping hot.

ingies, Aug 22, 10:16am
I would also recommend induction, instant heat, and super easy to clean. I have only occasianlly cooked with gas (am always a bit scared of flames, might catch my clothing etc) and find that induction is a lot faster then any of the other electric cooking I have used.

fifie, Aug 22, 10:25am
Gas, Fast heat, great for the cast iron pan doing steak, and the wok.

tubbo007, Aug 22, 10:35am
gas top electric oven is my choice gas tops are so fast love them electric oven for the reason its hard to get the correct temp

fisher, Aug 22, 1:28pm
Thanks for the feedback folks.Undecided yet.eliminated electric elements .put a magnet on all my pots inc cast iron ones and all are oks but would only have the 2 cast iron frypans and one ss frypan for use.
Wont be able to use my glass pots. if we went induction.
Anymore stories would be appreciated for myself and others making the choice.