Bake or buy biscuits/cakes

00743, Aug 20, 4:18am
whats best!

davidt4, Aug 20, 4:36am
Bake your own.You know what's in them and save money.

dbab, Aug 20, 4:39am
So many of the bought biscuits are made off shore now, and taste like cardboard.
It's not hard to whip up a batch of biscuits. Get your children involved.
They'll love doing it.

fifie, Aug 20, 4:39am
My thoughts are if you have afamily bake them to save money. They were good days when kids growing up all helped with the baking for lunches etc, which always happened twice a week in our house. Nowadays we are lucky to live with a cake kitchen in town where they bake heaps of yummy things for s/markets and have a shop and with only 2 of us at home i couldn't buy the butter and a lot of ingredients for the price of a bag of choc chippies or a nice piece of slice so visit there weekly stock up on the favourites, and leave the baking to mainly muffins, scones, and large choc cakes for the grandkids.

kinna54, Aug 20, 5:17am
I bake. Can produce better quality, and value for money. At the cost of biccies etc and muffins being around $2.40 each, and a slice being around that price for a small piece, it works out way better.
only 2 in our house and on limited income, it still pays.
I buy eggs, marg and flour on special, and can still fill my tins with yummy delights, and baking is therepeautic. I bake wisely, using my oven and power to the most benefit, make more than one thing at a time,often freeze muffins etc.

daleaway, Aug 20, 5:26am
Depends what your time is worth, doesn't it! And how good your local baker is. Home-baked is not always best.

buzzy110, Aug 20, 6:17am
It all depends what your health and well being is worth. If you want baked goods that contain only ingredients you know about then I say bake. For the same price you can make a lot more homemade products which taste way better than the homogenised (samey) flavour of the bought product.

And like daleaway says - It depends on what your time is worth. Are you prepared to spend the money you worked so hard for on buying, or do you want your dollar to go further, so to speak, by baking!
Personally, I think bought goods just do not taste anywhere as nice as the homemade product either.

rainbowpride, Aug 20, 10:44pm
I bake all of mine I like knowing what I am giving my son to eat.However I do always have a packet of malt bickies and vanila wines as they makes good bases for some slices and cheese cakes.

davidt4, Aug 21, 4:36am
Bake your own.You know what's in them and save money.

dbab, Aug 21, 4:39am
So many of the bought biscuits are made off shore now, and taste like cardboard.
It's not hard to whip up a batch of biscuits. Get your children involved.
They'll love doing it.

fifie, Aug 21, 4:39am
My thoughts are if you have afamily bake them to save money. They were good days when kids growing up all helped with the baking for lunches etc, which always happened twice a week in our house. Nowadays we are lucky to live with a cake kitchen in town where they bake heaps of yummy things for s/markets and have a shop and with only 2 of us at home i couldn't buy the butter and a lot of ingredients for the price of a bag of choc chippies or a nice piece of slice so visit there weekly stock up on the favourites, and leave the baking to mainly muffins, scones, and large choc cakes for the grandkids.

daleaway, Aug 21, 5:26am
Depends what your time is worth, doesn't it! And how good your local baker is. Home-baked is not always best.

indy95, Aug 21, 5:29am
Bake my own every time. There is just no comparison as far the taste is concerned and I know exactly what goes into them.