Stupid Question from a stupid cook

teddy481, Aug 18, 3:07am
When making cookies and you have to roll them with your hands how do you stop the mixture sticking to your hands and sticking to the fork when flatting them.

shop-a-holic, Aug 18, 3:12am
I have a box of Food Grade Chux Disposable Gloves in my kitchen basket. They come in packs of 24 and are well worth it. Can also use for Truffles, Rissoles; Hamburgers or any mince/soft foods which require working with the hands,

You are not stupid. Only intelligent people ask questions :-)

splitty, Aug 18, 3:14am
Not a stupid question at all, as they say "the only stupid question is one that is not asked". I wet my hands and shake off the excess, works a treat, same with the fork dip it in some water and shake off the excess, but usually I use the heel of my hand. Water and oil don't mix very well so I guess this is why it works. Good luck

sarahb5, Aug 18, 3:14am
Wet your hands and your fork

cookessentials, Aug 18, 3:20am
If you dip your fork into a little water before pressing the biscuit, it will come away cleanly. As for the stupid question/stupid cook!.never.always best to ask if you are unsure dont you think!

winnie231, Aug 18, 3:23am
I use flour . but not so much that it changes the texture of the biscuits.

pickles7, Aug 18, 3:31am
If your mixture is sticking to your hands, put it in the fridge to harden it a little. Flour on your fork, as others have said.

davidt4, Aug 18, 4:28am
Chill the dough for half an hour.Work quickly so that the heat of your hands doesn't soften the balls.If it is a very soft dough form it into a log (wrap in cling film or foil) and chill or freeze then unwrap and cut into slices.

elliehen, Aug 18, 4:44am
teddy481, Welcome to Recipes and ask away.There are lots of posters here who will enjoy answering your questions - as they have above.

melford, Aug 18, 4:48am
I always roll my dough out on a board sprinkled with cornflour. Also dip your fork in cornflour. Also you can use an empty cotton reel to press the biscuits down and you will have a fancy pattern on them

cookessentials, Aug 18, 4:51am
Use a cookie stamp.

splitty, Aug 19, 3:14am
Not a stupid question at all, as they say "the only stupid question is one that is not asked". I wet my hands and shake off the excess, works a treat, same with the fork dip it in some water and shake off the excess, but usually I use the heel of my hand. Water and oil don't mix very well so I guess this is why it works. Good luck

davidt4, Aug 19, 4:28am
Chill the dough for half an hour.Work quickly so that the heat of your hands doesn't soften the balls.If it is a very soft dough form it into a log (wrap in cling film or foil) and chill or freeze then unwrap and cut into slices.