A great seafood chowder recipe needed please

janny3, May 17, 6:18am
x1

suzanna, May 17, 10:33am
Saute finely chopped leek, add stock and potatoes. When potatoes are cooked through use a stick blender to puree.Add whatever seafood you particularly like and simmer until cooked. I always include smoked fish along with mussels, prawns, scallops, calamari. I prefer to use monk fish as it stays firm rather than flake. If you steam the mussels in white wine first add the liquor to the chowder too. Finely diced carrots and corn may also be added although I prefer not to. Seaon to taste. Garnish with parsley and a swirl of cream.

bill241, May 17, 11:53am
I saute onion, garlic and leek and celery in a fair bit of butter, and chuck in some bacon too after the other stuff is nice and soft, and then add some flour to make a roux. I then add a little heated chicken or fish stock at a time to build up a veloute type thing and keep adding until all the stock I have is in (1L usually). Then I add white fish, mussels and cockles and grated or diced potato. Once it is all ready I add some cream with an egg yolk mixed into it, and heat it up but not to the boil. This thickens it more and makes it creamy. Then finish with some paprika and adjust seasoning and put some fresh parsley on it. If I have white wine I put a slosh in when I'm adding stock.

bigspender01, Aug 17, 6:48am
need to make a seafood chowder for sunday and would need to serve approx 40 cups, can anyone help with a really tasty recipe that would'nt be too costly, many thanx

ant_sonja, Aug 17, 7:27am
For a basic chowder, I ususally make a white sauce (bechamel) base, I include peppercorns and bay leaves and onion. To this I add my chosen seafood (we like mussels, scallops, prawns or shrimp & oysters, also some fresh white fish and sometimes salmon. I also add creamed corn, julienne vegies such as carrot, spring onion & if in season some red & yellow capsicum. Simply add seafood to the base you have made and heat until cooked. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt & pepper. before serving add a liberal amount of fresh herbs, chives/parsley & dill work well. This is a very basic recipe and depending on your seafood ingredients etc can be fairly cheap (sometimes we only use mussels and some smoked fish) so you may be able to adjust it to your needs.

didorothy, Aug 17, 7:55am
I boil diced potatoes / chopped onions, garlic. I add some laksa paste,or if not that I use a little curry and pepper or your own selection of spices, fish sauce, chopped tomatoes, cream corn, chopped celery, tin coconut cream. At the last minute when all cooked I add seafood marinara which I buy from our local count down supermarket ( Rangiora) or your own selection of mixed seafood, and cook till the sea foods cooked. Lastly add chopped parsley and if you want it thicker thicken with cornflour mixed with a little water. Sometimes I add some noodles( OOdon or the quick ones you can buy ) to make it go further. Dont over cook as it keeps the fish moist. Delicious with crusty bread.

didorothy, Aug 17, 7:56am
Dont forget to taste it and as for quantities I play around with them depending how much seafood I have and how many to feed! Enjoy, its delicious.

purplegoanna, Aug 17, 7:58am
mine is a packet of maggi seafood soup with pre-boiled slices of carrots and cubed potato, then i add, chopt cooked mussels, cocktail (weeny) prawns, sliced crab sticks, finely diced parsley and fish cubed up near the end, be careful after you add the fish when you stir as it flakes easily once cooked in the mix.

korbo, Aug 17, 8:52am
I make the same as purpl.but add some cream just before serving, but do not let it come to a boil.
not sure of quantities for 40 cups tho.
ps.have you got room for one more person.lol.just love seafood chowder, but as I dont like mussels, i just add more shrimps.

bigspender01, Aug 17, 9:59am
Thanx so much everyone for all your lovely recipes they all sound delish, I will try a few out, thought it sounded quite complicated, but reading all your recipes, does'nt seem so scarey, thanx all once again and keep them coming, nite nite x

scannell2, Aug 18, 1:18am
my husband makes a lovely seafood chowder every now and then and he just uses two packets of maggi seafood soup mixed with water, adds chilli mussels (and a little of the juice to pan), calamari, crab meat, shrimps and a couple of fish fillets. at the end he adds a bottle of cream. i am not big on seafood but this is yummmo and very easyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy goodluck

bigspender01, Aug 18, 6:48am
need to make a seafood chowder for sunday and would need to serve approx 40 cups, can anyone help with a really tasty recipe that would'nt be too costly, many thanx

bigspender01, Aug 18, 9:59am
Thanx so much everyone for all your lovely recipes they all sound delish, I will try a few out, thought it sounded quite complicated, but reading all your recipes, does'nt seem so scarey, thanx all once again and keep them coming, nite nite x