***Cheap dessert for 40 seniors***

Page 1 / 2
standard, Mar 22, 6:11am
I help at a luncheon for our local senior citizens.
We give them a hot meal and dessert for $6.
Any suggestions for a dessert that would work out cheaply to make for them would be a great help.
The receipe can be for a hot or cold dessert.
Thanks!

datoofairy, Mar 22, 6:12am
Instant pudding. . teeth or no teeth, it doesnt matter. Same goes in as comes out ;o)

alewis, Mar 22, 6:16am
apple pie and custard or cream
sponge pudding custard or cream
fresh fruit salad lemon tarts
ginger pudding with marshmellows on the top
millie flomes (flakey pastry with cream and fruit inside dusted with icing sugar) - warning very messy to eat
pears poached in red wine (cheap red wine lol)
sticky date pudding can make in small muffin so seperate serves

rubyjane11, Mar 22, 6:25am
apple crumble
fruit sponge
jam roly poly and custard

glendeb, Mar 22, 6:25am
I would say custard and canned fruit salad. Can have the warm in summer and piping hot in winter.

tania007, Mar 22, 6:25am
Ambrosia, trifle, big dish of custard and apple pie, fresh fruit salad, jelly and icecream.

fpress, Mar 22, 6:34am
What about a good old fashioned Rice pudding? With a nice thick golden skin on top, just like my Nan used to make.

standard, Mar 22, 7:31am
Thanks, great so far, any others?
We have had a few of those.

poppy62, Mar 22, 8:08am
Something quick and easy would be to open a few tins of fruit and put them in a baking dish and cover the top with a couple of trifle sponges. Bake it till it is heated through and serve with a custard.

rarogal, Mar 22, 8:20am
My mum used to have this twice a week (at Resthome) and she loved it. Sponge cut into squares, sliced banana and custard poured over the top.

bcnd, Mar 22, 8:23am
What about self saucing chocolate pudding. Their is a really good crock pot one on here. Line up 4 - 6 crock pots & that would easily cover that ammount of people

rubyjane11, Mar 22, 9:30am
spanish cream and fruit... . ummmm

mopeds, Mar 22, 9:34am
Pavlova with fresh fruit and whipped cream... ... . yum

cookessentials, Mar 22, 9:40am
Good old trifle with a good dash of brandy or similar over the sponge roll, fruit, jelly, custard and cream. Or do my chocolate version which is very tasty.

ccoffee, Mar 22, 9:46am
all this talk of desserts, I suddenly have a hankering for jelly... . something you never have once you have no kids at home. Would bright coloured jelly, fruit salad and cream be too boring? Its just been added to my shopping list

alebix, Mar 22, 9:49am
How about a cheesecake?

You can easily make it in the slab o0r you can buy them in the slab from Gilmours. . I think the mad butcher has big cheesecakes too.

elliehen, Mar 22, 10:56am
Seniors are not all gummy eaters of mush. Why not have two special cakes - maybe banana and chocolate, and place them alternately around the tables. Neighbours at the table can swap plates if they wish.

I saw that work very well with desserts at a wedding - there were no fights...

510, Mar 22, 4:08pm
We used to give them jelly and ice cream, jelly & tinned fruit ( U can buy those large tins) or icecream in a cone which they loved. A volunteer would make cakeor I would buy what ever cake was onspecial. At Easter some one made lovely wee cup cakes with a tiny easter egg on the icing. Custard & stewed fruit is very easy

red2, Mar 22, 9:14pm
fruit or choc muffins , gingerbread slice and custard , jam tarts , apple shortcake

uli, Mar 22, 10:06pm
When I volunteered in a resthome (big one with nearly 200 people), we had a notice board up where people could write on what they would love to see on the menu in weeks to come. We always chose 3 or 4 meals a week from those suggestions.

Feels a bit strange that we here should decide what THEY want to have for dessert ...

puresteam, Mar 22, 10:57pm
hi we used to give our people steamed puddings, put one bowl on top of other and into the big soup pots we had a nice overnight one and all set to put on in the morning. ginger and apple upside down pudding, pineapple rice pud, apricot or applecrumble there are a lot of different milk puds, that is just a few

buzzy110, Mar 23, 12:02am
Excellent point uli. I too would prefer that seniors are treated with respect and to remember that not all of them are gaga.

daleaway, Mar 23, 12:03am
I think by "millie flomes" you were aiming for mille feuilles. They will be easier to Google if you spell them like that. http://en. wikipedia.org/wiki/Mille-feuille

st_allie, Mar 23, 1:59am
my kids love bread and butter pudding. . inexpensive and a good way to use up all the stale bread too.

diandbri, Mar 23, 2:11am
While they are cheap get a heap of zuchinnis and make chocolate zuchinni cake - its really yummy and a soft but firm texture.