Rhubarb

nat148, Aug 15, 9:02pm
My 12yr old wants to try rhubarb so I thought I would bake something rather than stew it - any suggestions!

ballito, Aug 15, 9:40pm
Could try putting it in muffins or cake.I make a rhubard cobbler which is an Alison Holst recipe and includes orange juice.You could try cooking it with raspberry cordial and water.This will take the tartness off the rhubarb.

catlover28, Aug 15, 9:52pm
My rhubarb got covered under snow yesterday!

245sam, Aug 15, 10:52pm
nat148, below are my two favourite uses for rhubarb - the first one should appeal to everyone except for anyone who detests or cannot eat rhubarb.

RHUBARB CUSTARD CRUMBLE
450g rhubarb trimmed and cut into 2.5cm (1”) pieces - fresh or frozen (don't thaw)
Custard:
3 rounded household tbsp custard powder
85g white sugar
450ml milk

Make a custard with all the ingredients and once it has boiled add the raw rhubarb – the custard will need to be very thick and stodgy. Place the rhubarb and custard mixture into a 1.5-2 litre ovenproof dish, then top the mixture with the
Crumble:
170g flour
85g each of brown sugar and butter or margarine.
Rub the butter into the flour to form a crumby mixture, then mix the brown sugar lightly through.
Bake at 180°C for 40-45 minutes.

HINT: a now-late friend of my DH's family gave me this tip 30+ years ago.let the rhubarb stand, covered by boiling water, for 5 minutes, then drain that water off - I don't recommend doing this for the Rhubarb Custard Crumble but it sure does work otherwise and I find it to be great especially when making.

SPICED RHUBARB
500g rhubarb (trimmed and cut into 2cm lengths)
1 tsp ground ginger,
2 tbsp very finely chopped preserved / crystallised ginger
sugar to taste and 2 tbsp water – see note below

Place all the ingredients in an oven proof dish and cover the dish. Cook at 150°C for 15-20 minutes or until the fruit is tender.
Serve hot, warm or cold.
Note: If the rhubarb is prepared as in the above hint, the 2 tbsp water shouldn’t be needed and neither should the sugar because of the sugar coating on the ginger.

Hope that helps.:-))

pam.delilah, Aug 15, 11:36pm
SPICE AND RHUBARB BUTTER BABY CAKES
225g soft unsalted butter
3/4 cup golden syrup
3 eggs
225g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
COMPOTE:2 stalks rhubarb,sliced thinly
55g caster sugar 1 tbsp water.
Combine rhubarb,sugar and water in small saucepan. Bring to boil on high heat. Reduce to low, cover and cook about 8 mins till rhubarb is soft.
Cream butter and golden syrup, add eggs, one at a time,mixing well after each addition. Sift over the flour,baking powder & spices. Stir well. Spoon into greased mini loaf pans ( the tray with eight) and then spoon 2 tsp of rhubarb compote along a small "groove" along the length of each loaf and then put the compote lengthwise into the groove.
Bake at 180C for 12-15 minutes.

pam.delilah, Aug 15, 11:37pm
Rhubarb & custard muffins

2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
½ cup (75g) plain flour
¾ cup (165g) caster sugar
100g butter, melted
1 cup (250ml) milk
1 egg
3 cups (330g) finely chopped rhubarb
1 tablespoon demerara sugar

Custard
2 tablespoons custard powder
¼ cup (55g) caster sugar
1 cup (250ml) milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
METHOD

Make custard.

Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Line 12-hole (1/3 cup/80ml) muffin pan with paper cases.

Sift flours and caster sugar into large bowl. Stir in butter, milk and egg. Do not over-mix. Stir in half of the rhubarb.

Spoon half of the mixture into cases; top with custard. Spoon in remaining mixture to cover custard. Sprinkle with remaining rhubarb and Demerara sugar.

Bake muffins about 20 minutes. Stand muffins in pan 5 minutes; turn, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool.

Combine custard powder and sugar in small saucepan; gradually stir in milk. Stir custard over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens. Stir in extract. Cool.

Makes 12

cookessentials, Aug 16, 4:40am
From the TEST KITCHEN thread.

I copied this wee recipe from the Gourmet Traveller Magazine a couple of weeks ago while we were at a cafe' in Martinborough - the old paper napkin comes in very handy. I can say that they are absolutely delicious,however, I will make a few little subtle changes next time. I found the mixture was a little stiff,so I added a little more golden syrup,gently warmed and about 2 tsp water. They are beautifully spicy and the addition of the rhubarb compote along the top makes them even more tasty and the sweetness of the comppote compliments the spicy cake. The recipe calls for unslated butter,but I just used normal butter.

SPICE AND RHUBARB BUTTER BABY CAKES

225g soft unsalted butter
3/4 cup golden syrup
3 eggs
225g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cloves

COMPOTE:2 stalks rhubarb,sliced thinly ( I sliced on the diagonal)
55g caster sugar 1 tbsp water.
Combine rhubarb,sugar and water in small saucepan. Bring to boil on high heat. Reduce to low, cover and cook about 8 mins till rhubarb is soft.

Cream butter and golden syrup, add eggs, one at a time,mixing well after each addition. Sift over the flour,baking powder & spices. Stir well. Spoon into greased mini loaf pans ( the tray with eight) and then spoon 2 tsp of rhubarb compote along each centre. Bake at 180C for 12-15 minutes. I found that it was better to create a small "groove" along the length of each loaf and then put the compote lengthwise into the groove. The couple that I tried,without making a groove tended to have the rhubarb compte spread to the sides as they rose,whereas the grooved ones managed to keep the compte more concentrated in the centre. They were very moist,spicy and well worth making.

pickles7, Aug 16, 6:08am
Washa nice stalk, and give it to him raw. All my children loved it raw but did not eat it cooked.
A tip if you do cook it, is to put saltin, 1/2 to 1 tsp, it will cut the sugar down by half.

pickles7, Aug 16, 6:11am
Washa nice stalk, and give it to him raw. All my children loved it raw but did not eat it cooked.
A tip if you do cook it, is to add, 1/2 to 1 tsp of salt, it will cut the sugar down by half.

pickles7, Aug 16, 6:12am
sorry, must have been a glitch.