I've lost my Lemon Sultana Cake recipe :(

bluetigerrr, Aug 14, 2:20am
I'm living in the Big Country now . and have discovered I left my absolutely FAVOURITE Lemon Sultana Cake recipe in a storage box somewhere in NZ :( It is the one where you boil the sultanas (to essentially plump them up), drain the water offthen add melted butter and all the rest of the ingredients. I can't remember if it has eggs or not! It makes a great moist cake and I've promised my daughter I'll make it for her because she did my tax return :)I've Googled it but cannot find the Kiwi version I long for. Can anyone help me please!

akl439, Aug 14, 2:33am
This is from a NZ site - any good!

http://recipes.had.co.nz/34/sultana-cake

jessie981, Aug 14, 2:50am
2 C sultanas
water
250g butter,chopped into small pieces
1 C sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1/2t lemon or almond essence
3C standard flour
1 1/2 t baking powder

Put sultanas in water, Bring to boil, simmer for 15 minutes. Drain thoroughly. Add butter. In a bowl beat sugar into egss until well comined. Add sultana mixture and essence. Sift flour and baking powder together.Mix sifted ingredients into fruit mixture. Spoon mixture into a 20 cm square cake tin lined on the base with baking paper. Bake at 160 for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours or until cake springs back when lightly touched. leave in tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack

Quotemelp6 (233 )11:34 am, Mon 20 Sep #3
Have Edmonds if you want that but akl4's sounds yummy.

hogwort, Aug 14, 5:16am
SULTANA CAKE (Tried and true, its seen a generation of kids through flatting, uni, new marriages, work shouts, you name it!)

Boil together 1 cup water and 1 dessertspoon of cornflour stirring til thick, then take off heat and cool.

1/2 lb butter
1/2 lb sugar (i think thats about a cup)
3 well beaten eggs
3/4 lb flour (3 cups)
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup sultanas
lemon essence

Cream butter and sugar til pale and fluffy. Add eggs. Sift dry ingredients and add alternately with the cool sauce to the creamed mixture.Add sultanas and lemon essence (to taste, 1/2 - 1 tsp)

Bake in greased and lined tin (butter your tinfoil) for 1 hour at 350.

YUM and I hope you enjoy it.

survivorr, Aug 14, 5:21am
I wish I knew how to stop my cakes becoming quite burnt on the sides . I've tried turning the heat down and that hasn't worked.The tins are black and I'm wondering if you can buy any other colour because I'm wondering if that's the problem.

survivorr, Aug 19, 11:39pm
Thinking of trying this recipe this weekend but substituing a packet of lemon jelly crystals for lemon essence.

jessie981, Aug 20, 12:34am
Maybe add a 1/2tsp Citric Acid, I do when making jelly & it brings out the flavour.

survivorr, Aug 20, 2:40am
I will get some and do that.Thx

unknowndisorder, Sep 5, 10:08am
More cakes to be bumped

willman, Sep 7, 6:10am
Google ' wickhams family Fruit Cake ',that the one I use its great cake.

bluetigerrr, Sep 11, 3:04am
Many thanks for all the recipes here - I do appreciate that very much.
It is the jessie981 recipe so thanks especially for that jessie981. But also hogwort, your one sounds like a winner too so will try it also. Men seem to love these cakes . don't know why but they do. I ended up making them for a cafe once, every damn day of the work week and they disappeared before anything else. Soo cheap to make - the cafe made a killing on them.
Anyway, thanks so much for all you help here everryone that contributed xxx

elliehen, Sep 11, 3:19am
Try this one too :)

GLEN'S CUTTING CAKE ~ Mrs Glen Rowling, Nelson

2 Tablespoons custard powder
450 gms sultanas
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold water
225 gms butter
1/2 teaspoon of 4 different essences (e.g. lemon, orange, vanilla, rum)

Boil custard powder and water, stirring all the time until thick, then cool
Prepare sultanas
Cream butter and sugar and essences, then add eggs one at a time, beating well between additions
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt and coat the cleaned sultanas with part of this
Add remaining flour alternately with cold custard powder mix to the creamed ingredients
Stir in floured fruit
Turn into an 8 inch square lined with greaseproof paper (2 layers)
Bake at 160*C for 1 & 1/2 hours until a skewer in the middle comes out clean
I have found everyone likes this cake - young and old

From: Country Cookery, recipes from Ohau District, School 90th Jubilee edition 1891-1981

bluetigerrr, Sep 12, 3:04am
Many thanks for all the recipes here - I do appreciate that very much.
It is the jessie981 recipe so thanks especially for that jessie981. But also hogwort, your one sounds like a winner too so will try it also. Men seem to love these cakes . don't know why but they do. I ended up making them for a cafe once, every damn day of the work week and they disappeared before anything else. Soo cheap to make - the cafe made a killing on them.
Anyway, thanks so much for all you help here everryone that contributed xxx

elliehen, Sep 12, 3:19am
Try this one too :)

GLEN'S CUTTING CAKE ~ Mrs Glen Rowling, Nelson

2 Tablespoons custard powder
450 gms sultanas
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold water
225 gms butter
1/2 teaspoon of 4 different essences (e.g. lemon, orange, vanilla, rum)

Boil custard powder and water, stirring all the time until thick, then cool
Prepare sultanas
Cream butter and sugar and essences, then add eggs one at a time, beating well between additions
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt and coat the cleaned sultanas with part of this
Add remaining flour alternately with cold custard powder mix to the creamed ingredients
Stir in floured fruit
Turn into an 8 inch square lined with greaseproof paper (2 layers)
Bake at 160*C for 1 & 1/2 hours until a skewer in the middle comes out clean
I have found everyone likes this cake - young and old

From: Country Cookery, recipes from Ohau District, School 90th Jubilee edition 1891-1981

bluetigerrr, Aug 14, 2:20am
I'm living in the Big Country now . and have discovered I left my absolutely FAVOURITE Lemon Sultana Cake recipe in a storage box somewhere in NZ :( It is the one where you boil the sultanas (to essentially plump them up), drain the water offthen add melted butter and all the rest of the ingredients. I can't remember if it has eggs or not! It makes a great moist cake and I've promised my daughter I'll make it for her because she did my tax return :)I've Googled it but cannot find the Kiwi version I long for. Can anyone help me please!

jessie981, Aug 14, 2:50am
2 C sultanas
water
250g butter,chopped into small pieces
1 C sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1/2t lemon or almond essence
3C standard flour
1 1/2 t baking powder

Put sultanas in water, Bring to boil, simmer for 15 minutes. Drain thoroughly. Add butter. In a bowl beat sugar into egss until well comined. Add sultana mixture and essence. Sift flour and baking powder together.Mix sifted ingredients into fruit mixture. Spoon mixture into a 20 cm square cake tin lined on the base with baking paper. Bake at 160 for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours or until cake springs back when lightly touched. leave in tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack

Quotemelp6 (233 )11:34 am, Mon 20 Sep #3
Have Edmonds if you want that but akl4's sounds yummy.