A US friend wants some traditional NZ recipes

Page 1 / 2
kiwikidd77, Aug 12, 1:20am
He's training to be a CHEF.

What kinds of recipes to send! I'm just the plain old meat and 3 veg kinda guy. No poncy stuff here. lol.

klharris, Aug 12, 2:01am
Gotta gotta include Edmonds pavlova! Sooo Kiwi & soooo easy!x :)

kiwikidd77, Aug 12, 2:03am
Yes, got that one, will be suggesting, kiwifruit and strawberry toppings.

frances1266, Aug 12, 2:18am
I would suggest baking.I think our cooking culture has always been about baking rather than meat and veg.Scones, pikelets,fruit loaves and slices are all good.

rainrain1, Aug 12, 2:25am
Blue Cod, Bluff Oyster, Paua, and Whitebait recipes

Foveaux Fishcakes

400gr fresh blue cod
400gr cold mashed potatoes
fresh ground black pepper
1 cup white wine
1 cup fish stock
1 bay leaf
zest of small lemon
1Tbsp chopped parsley
4 cups soft breadcrumbs
1 medium shallot or 3 spring onions (include green)
1 small clove garlic
Oil for frying
Place wine, stock and bay leaf in a shallow pan and bring to a steady simmer. Place fish in liquid and gently poach till cooked. Remove fish and set aside.
Chop shallots or green onion and crush garlic. Gently sauté then add to mashed potatoes. Add flaked fish, lemon zest, and parsley to mixture.
Beat eggs in a large bowl and spread breadcrumbs on baking paper. Form balls and dip in egg and crumbs. Flatten into cakes and place on tray lined with baking paper.
Set aside at least 15 minutes (important) Heat oil in nonstick pan and cook fish for about 2 minutes on each side till brown and crisp. Drain on paper towels. Makes 10

kitkat66, Aug 12, 2:48am
KFC.

rainrain1, Aug 12, 2:53am
or kitkats :-)

margyr, Aug 12, 4:41am
hi ya, just on the left in the search box type nz food and then click on last year and do a search, about 6 pages some recipe ideas.

beaker59, Aug 12, 4:50am
Smoked fish pie with mash potato top is fairly ubiquitous in Kiwi kitchens and easily made resturant quality.

gildon, Aug 12, 4:51am
Why not just send him an Edmonds Cook Book - they are all in there!

buzzy110, Aug 12, 5:16am
Gosh. Most of our food has been 'borrowed' from English cuisine. Hardly any of it is unique to NZ. Bluff oysters are one excellent suggestion but cooking those would be sacrilege so basically it is all in the presentation. Even top restaurants in NZ just serve them in the half shell, on a bed of ice with maybe a 'stolen' chilli or fish sauce from Asian cusine.

Green lipped mussels are another food unique to NZ but usually any decent Italian sauce will work well with them.

Schnapper/snapper! Once again - just a fish and any good fish recipe will do.

Mutton birds! Not exactly haute cuisine in any part of the world except maybe Japan or China where food like that is considered a delicacy.

Paua - Maybe he could concoct a creamy bacon sauce - which imo completely ruins the delicate flavour but, hey, people like it that way.

NZ wines - best served as is and whilst grown in NZ, not exactly unique

Watercress - shrugs

Boil up - now that is unique and can be created all sorts of ways but suitable for restaurant style food! Your friend would have to be superb to make it so.

NZ has a long history of creating things with sweetened condensed milk. Sante biscuits and, gulp, mayonnaise, spring to mind.

Lamb is endemic to NZ if you ignore the fact that the Brits also grow it. Perhaps something with lamb and watercress would be original.

Kiwifruit.

Pavlova in all its forms

Kina - definitely an acquired taste and definitely a dish better served raw

rogergayle, Aug 12, 5:19am
ANZAC biscuits

jessie981, Aug 12, 5:56am
Ditto, but don't think he'd be interested as he's a chef!

rainrain1, Aug 12, 6:14am
lamb, wild venison.the new alison gofton cook book.

shop-a-holic, Aug 12, 6:18am
Bluff Oysters are not allowed to be exported. So the peeps who enjoy them here are very lucky indeed.
Paua and Kina are found all over the planet.
Whitebait too, but not our species.
Snapper is Ocean Bream, and closely tastes to any members of the bream family. They come in pink, black and other colours too.

buzzy110, Aug 12, 6:29am
Well exactly. There is very little that is exclusively NZ or unique. Even Anzac biscuits are shared with Australia. Most high end NZ cuisine is European Asian fusion foods. Most home cooked meals are based on English influences with strong Italian (pasta and sauces) influence and a growing appreciation of Indian and Asian styles of cooking.

I remember curried sausages done with milk and curry powder and thickened with a mix of flour and water!

Individual meat pies are fairly NZish. It is not that easy to find pies exactly like we have here. There are variations in other places but none quite like ours.

buzzy110, Aug 12, 6:31am
I forgot Feijoa. Now that is a taste unique to NZ. No one else seems to have heard of it.

Passionfruit is another. America has only just learned about it. They call them Wrinkle berries.

Traditional recipes have been adapted to accommodate the addition of those two fruits.

otterhound, Aug 12, 6:40am
B acon and egg pie

beaker59, Aug 12, 6:50am
Boil up isn't really unique to NZ being origonally a sailors meal it is cooked all over the world known as irish stew or many other varients.

rainrain1, Aug 12, 6:54am
such negativity going on in this thread.the boils ups i have tasted are NOTHING like irish stew

beaker59, Aug 12, 7:18am
Sorry can't see the negativity here!
Boil up has the same origins as Irish stew its a well known fact like allot of other parts of the world meat patatoes and vegetables boiled up and unthickened is basic honest peasant food all over the world the NZ varient is hardly unique the real Irish version even included sow thistle greens(puha) we are all imigrants here and brought food recipes with us even my Tuwharetoa forebears to find unique NZ quisine you really need to look at more recent recipes like Pavalova perhaps or similar. Perhaps I suppose Hangi would be one of the few unique surviving preeuropean dishes.

jessie981, Aug 12, 7:56am
Pse post your postive thread. ok

rainrain1, Aug 12, 8:37am
After you

jhan, Aug 12, 8:55am
Bubble and squeak!

buzzy110, Aug 12, 11:13am
No. Beaker is right, in a sense. Irish stew and boil ups are similar. I always make mine with a combination of mutton and watercress with other vegetables such as celery and onions. I've never used potatoes but that is just me.

Bubble and squeak is English in origin. My father used to have it as a child and he was raised in Wales.

How about rotted corn! I think that may be a dish unique to NZ.