Whole meal bread with bread making machine

joe12, Aug 8, 8:32am
Hi I have just bought the Panasonic SD-257 bread maker looks like a neat machine it even has its own separate raisin nut dispenser,according to the Manufacture the pan is made from diamond fluoro coating twice as tough as teflon pans. I tried the first loaf today & it came out looking something like elephant mans face, I would just like to know has anyone used this model of machine making a wholemeal loaf & with what setting did you use! I used whole wheat setting on rapid bake & bread came out sunken in & soggy in the middle, any help thanks

korbo, Aug 8, 8:49am
I dont have a panasonic, but when making a wholemeal, i just use the basic white loaf setting. theloaf is always a little smaller, but tastes just the same.try again using just ordinary basic setting. trial and error for a while with a breadmaker

cgvl, Aug 8, 8:49am
I dont do the rapid bake ever, it never comes out right.
I make awholemeal loaf, using wholemeal flour, and do it on standard bake adding an extra 10 mins, unless doing overnight.
With the whole wheat loaf ie adding stuff through the raisin-nut dispenser I do it on bake raisin and add 20mins to cook time
I have found this makes a better loaf. Only time I do a rapid bake is when I make a sandwich loaf, its a smaller loaf.

joe12, Aug 8, 8:59am
thanks cgvl & korbo, cgvl, if you are going to add raisinsin the little dispenser do you have to put the raisins in at a certain time or do you just put raisins in right from the start!then set tobake raisin, thanks again

kinna54, Aug 8, 10:18am
I have a breville machine and make the french loaf with different flours, grains and seeds, cooked on french setting. (not sure if the panasonic has a french setting or recipe, but those recipes are lighter and crustier.) For raisin loaves I use the basic setting, add raisins or sultanas gradually about 20 mins into the mixing adding a few at a time. I also flour the raisins so they don't all sink to the bottom. Good luck, and enjoy your bread making.

cgvl, Aug 8, 11:02am
joe12, if doing raisin bread or wholewheat. I put the raisins in the dispenser and set to bake raisin. It automatically dispensers the raisins in at correct time.
I have a Panasonic and use the tasti breadmaker yeast . mainly because its cheaper than Edmonds but also have fewer mishaps.
My basic is in this order: 3tsp yeast, 400g white flour, 200g wholemeal flour, 1Tbsp sugar, 1tsp salt (good tsp), 3Tbsp milk powder, 3Tbsp oil and 420mls water.
The other loaf I make frquently is 300g white flour, 100g soft rolled oats, 150g wholemeal flour and 50g rye flour. To this I add 2Tbsp golden syrup instead of sugar.
The Pizza dough is great too, sandwich loaf for lunches is good as well. I also do a lot of dough and make buns/rolls both sweet and savoury.

thitryfiver, Aug 9, 1:23am
My recipe with my Panasonic.
3 tsp breadmaker yeast
!& 1/2 cups Hi grade flour
1&1/2 cups wholemeal flour
2 Tb canola oil
1 TB goden syrup
1&1/4tsp salt
1& 1/4 cups warm water,you may need to add another 2 TB water { or tad more} after a few minutes kneading, dough should be a smooth, sightly tacky to touch ball.
I bake on rapid mode,sizelarge loaf , it issmaller loaf but texture good.

joe12, Aug 9, 1:32am
Thanks kinna54 the Panasonic does have French settings, Thanks cgvl for the bread Recipes, I will copy & paste those & give them a go next time I use the machine again, The Panasonic book that comes with it isn't that good I don't know where they get their ideas from but they say put yeast in first & put cold cold water in last for the 5 hour setting, I have never heard of making bread that way, on my old machine I use to put in water first then yeast, then all the other dry ingredients, I tried do according to how the Panasonic book says with the yeast first the water last & the bread came out a mess, so will try your method & hopefully get a perfect loaf this time, Thanks Heaps cheers Reece

kinna54, Aug 9, 3:09am
Never heard of putting in cold water. My recipes *sunbeam, breville and kambrook* all say tepid water and I use tepid to hot, always use the water hotter in cold weather.