eggplant salad?

margyr, Jan 9, 1:26am
hi, have googled but nothing very inspiring in there, am going to a bbq tonight and thought i would like to make a salad with egg plant, any one have a nice recipe? I have to pop out for awhile so will check back soon, thanks.

davidt4, Jan 9, 1:32am
Eggplant & Tomato Salad (Morocco)

serves 8 - 10

3 large eggplants
salt
3 - 4 ripe tomatoes
4 - 6 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
bunch of coriander leaves
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp white pepper
2 tsp sweet paprika
squeeze of lemon juice
olive oil

Half peel eggplants, cut in chunks, salt and leave to drain 30 min. Rinse and pat dry.

Steam eggplant 15 min, return to colander and break up with back of a spoon, draining off liquid.

Halve tomatoes and grate in a pan, discard skin. Add garlic, half of the coriander and all of the spices, simmer 20 minutes to form a thick sauce.

Stir eggplant into sauce, sprinkle with rest of coriander. Just before serving squeeze lemon juice over and trickle with olive oil. Serve cool.

davidt4, Jan 9, 1:33am
Tiger Eggplant Salad

serves 6

1 large black eggplant
¼ - ½ c olive oil

dressing
4 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 c mint leaves chopped
¼ c red wine vinegar
¼ c good quality olive oil
½ tsp salt
black pepper

Heat a ridged grill pan (or frying pan) over med. heat.

Mix dressing ingredients.

Peel the eggplant in vertical stripes (vege peeler). Cut into 1 cm slices, brush on one side with oil and cook in grill pan, turning only once, until completely soft. As each slice is cooked lay it in a shallow serving dish and spread with some dressing.
Leave to macerate for a couple of hours, or it will keep in the fridge for several days.
Serve room temperature

margyr, Jan 9, 2:03am
mm thanks, have just found out we are supposed to be at bbq by 4pm so will have to pass on the egg plant salad. Will quickly do my tried and true pasta salad.

kirinesha, Jan 9, 2:36am
That looks lovely David4t! will try it tonight. NW has NZ eggplants for 79 cents each, so great time to buy in volume. . . I'm going to make moussaka for the freezer too.

kirinesha, Jan 9, 5:56am
David4t, I'm sorry but I need to pull you up on your Tiger Eggplant Salad.

There is no way in hell it's going to go around 6 people.

(Basically because I am not sharing a single slice with anyone else, it's way too good! )

Would you mind if I posted this recipe in the Low Carb Recipe thread? (or would you do it? ). It's just fabulous.

davidt4, Jan 9, 6:00am
Sure, no problem. It's also good with zucchini.

gorbash, Jan 9, 11:03pm
I'm on Pitcairn Island in the South Pacific half way between NZ and Peru - egg plants grow like crazy here and everyone is trying to give you one everywhere you go at present. Thrilled to find this thread and easy and tasty ways to deal to this invasion offreeegg plants.

kirinesha, Jan 10, 12:01am
You lucky thing! Eggplants are my number 1 favourite vegetable!

kirinesha, Jan 10, 5:20am
Davidt4, big thumbs up from my parents as well :)

natalie9, Nov 12, 10:09pm
;-0