Cheap veges/fruit in east auckland

garfeild101, Aug 4, 10:43pm
The usual fruit and vege market i go to-fruit world- is more expensive than the supermarket at the moment (not by much) like tomatoes are over $16.99 a kilo and cucumbers are $4.99 each.lettuce was $4.99 as well.its hard to make a salad these days for buying ingredients under $20 a bag, last shop i did was nearly $30 and all i got was 2 avocados, 1 cucumber, bag on tomatoes and a lettuce and capsicums-not on.i know some places like chinese markets are cheaper-anyone know of any at all!

davidt4, Aug 4, 11:02pm
Tomatoes, cucumbers and capsicums are all completely out of season - it's the middle of winter.To add to this the Queensland floods destroyed much of the growing areas from which NZ sources out-of-season summer veges.

You're not going to find cheap summer veges until summer arrives, so why not make the most of what is in season e.g. cabbage, brussels sprouts, cauli and leeks.You can make salads out of these, especially cabbage.

garfeild101, Aug 4, 11:46pm
thanx will have a hunt around

buzzy110, Aug 4, 11:59pm
I usually buy what fruit and veg I do buy from Fruit World. My choice is not based on price but on freshness. I am often appalled at the bedraggled state of some of the produce from P-n-S as opposed to Fruit World. One exception to that is the FW in Manukau. It has changed hands and now the produce in there is often in worse condition than the poor quality, aged, wilting and yellow produce being sold across the road at P-n-S which is so dire that I have changed to a different P-n-S.

garfeild101, Aug 5, 12:13am
countdown is fantastic for fruit and vege just wish it was summer and you can walk out with 2x bags of fruit for less then $15.ohhh have to wait ages for that till then its hard stocking up i eat salads everyday either at work or with dinner

crails, Aug 5, 8:45am
There is a great fruit and veg shop at Westfield Pakuranga really well priced and fresh.Otara Market on Saturday morning is the cheapest and freshest, last week I got various apples for .80kg and seedless mandarins $1kg red capsicums $2 each

toadfish, Aug 5, 7:43pm
Not sure what part of East Auckland you are, I am in Howick and go down to the fruit and vegie shop near Botany Junction, much less than buying in Howick.