Tomato Soup cake

jhan, Aug 3, 9:53pm
My mother used to make this and it was quite yummy. I haven't made it for so long now. I'm not sure if the manufacturers make the same tomato soup recipe but anyway, here is the recipe (in old terms). I'm not sure now why the recipe doesn't include eggs.

7oz tin of tomato soup
2 cups of flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda
1tsp spice
1 cup of sugar
1 and 1/2 cups of dried fruit
1/4 lb of butter
salt
Sift dry ingredients add fruit. Mix melted butter with soup and pour over dry ingredients. Mix well. Bake 1.5 hours at 180.

lx4000, Aug 4, 9:34am
not game to try but interested in others that do !

dollmakernz, Aug 5, 11:16am
This is my one and it makes a really lovely cake. One tip though, don't tell anyone its got tomato soup in it until after they've eaten and they've told you how nice it is!
Tomato Soup Cake (microwave)

100g butter, softened, 1 cup brown sugar, 2 eggs, beaten, 1 tsp cinnamon,
1 tsp ground nutmeg, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ teaspoon ground cloves, 1½ cups flour
1 Tbsp cocoa, 1 tsp baking powder,225g can tomato soup, 1 tsp baking soda
1 cup boiled sultanas

Cream butter and sugar and add beaten eggs. Add sifted dry ingredients. Mix baking
soda and tomato soup in a small bowl and whisk until frothy. Add to the main mixture
and lastly stir in the still-hot, drained sultanas. Pour into a ring container,
and cook on high (100%) for 7-9 minutes, or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
This cake will become more moist with keeping. I ice it with a rich chocolate icing.

marty103, Aug 5, 11:36am
tomato p cake 100g butter, softened, 1 cup brown sugar, 2 eggs, beaten, 1 tsp cinnamon,
1 tsp ground icenutmeg, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ teaspoon ice ground cloves, 1½ cups flour
the cook on high (101%) for 7-9 minutes

gardie, Aug 5, 7:40pm
Tomato is a fruit so it should just build on the fruitiness of the dried fruit.I don't keep tomato soup in my pantry so probably won't try it but certainly an interesting idea.

lx4000, Aug 5, 7:53pm
gardie, thats true,

a tomato is a fruit till its cooked, then it becomes a veggie!