Bread and water

jhan, Aug 3, 9:18am
My grandson who is coming up to his second birthday loves plain bread, nothing on it and drinks water rather than milk. Today he ate my savoury pinwheels, chopped up navel orange and apple and slices of tasty cheese though he turned up his face at the taste of beetroot. He had a museli bar and chocolate dairy food (commercial). He rejects anything of green colour.

Any ideas? I only have him one day a week and would like him to eat healthy food.

elliehen, Aug 3, 9:32am
Soft-boiled egg with marmite toast 'soldiers' to dip into it.

pickles7, Aug 4, 5:52am
Maybe his mother is setting his taste buds, away from sugar. Dairy food, has heaps. Natural yogurt is nice, and children love it.
I wouldn't dare give my grandson sugar, his mother is strict on what he eats. It is not my job, to make her job, difficult.
He drinks water very well. For me to push juice, would be wrong.

winnie231, Aug 4, 6:16am
Lots of veges you could cut into sticks & serve with a dip like carrots or peppers with cream cheese or sour cream. A dip may make green ok too . celery sticks with peanut butter for example.
And remember kids haven't learnt 'food rules' yet so unconventional is ok :)
My daughter liked dates & cottage cheese!

buzzy110, Aug 4, 6:22am
Oranges, apples and cheese are not unhealthy foods so you are doing well there.

The world is full of food that isn't green and is healthy. It is a pity that he doesn't eat green though. Children need to get the taste for them from birth through their mother's milk and later, through the mush they eat before they learn to chew.

Salmon and cream cheese on bread
Cauliflower, carrots, eggplant, parsnip, kumara and buttercup are not green
Scrambled egg with a dash of milk and cheese
I make wonderful muffins using eggs and baby mush made with all the vegetables. You'd never guess that there were greens in them.
Nuts. Fruit. Pulses.
Proteins - beef, chicken, lamb, fish, duck, rabbit, goat, milk and cheese
Chicken liver pate.

jessie981, Aug 4, 6:59am
Have a granddaughter who eats no bread, potatoes,cheesebut loves sushi, pasta, noodles ( not instant), crackers, salami. I put different nibbles on a plate. She also eats fruit.

jhan, Aug 4, 7:39am
Same here although she does pack the chocolate yogurt for me to give him and I'm not judging her for that. He expects water when he's thirsty, doesn't get dessert if he's slow with his main course (probably because his little body has had enough food for the day). I think all the suggestions have been useful, thanks everyone.