Do I cook these like other carrots?

Page 1 / 2
tahnasha, Jul 30, 4:22am
Should I peel them?I thought I'd try them, saw them at the supermarket today.

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp98/QueenBeesWax/Carrots.jpg

jessie981, Jul 30, 4:29am
Mmmm, never seen them before & wouldn't be tempted to buy. Let us know how they tasted. Guess I'd cook same as carrots - boil or roast.

mazzy1, Jul 30, 4:36am
Yum - I bought these last year to try and they are sweet and delicious. They are apparently they way carrots used to be before the Dutch bred orange ones.... or something close to that story! :) I am going to grow some this year for sure. They are really high in something really HEALTHY too - can't remember what. Anyway - I love them!

mazzy1, Jul 30, 4:39am
This from the King's seed catalogue - a similar type, by the look of it:- A 1,000 year old Heirloom. While orange carrots were first recorded by Dutch paintings in the 1600s, Afghans in 900AD make mention of a purple carrot whilst Egyptian temple drawings from 2000BC are well illustrated with it. Shades can range from dark violet to reddish purple with an orange, orange yellow or bright yellow interior with a sweet and spicy taste. The carrot is medium length, wide at the shoulder and well tapered.

245sam, Jul 30, 4:41am
Can I ask jessie981, why you wouldn't be tempted to buy those carrots?Is it the colour? or?
It is my understanding that the carrots we know of so well today were originally either purple or yellow so tahnasha's carrots are IMO more like the original cultivated carrots than those we now regard as such an everyday vegetable.:-))

tahnasha, Jul 30, 4:42am
I love trying out new things, my daughter was a bit iffy about them though.They had huge giant big round advocados there too, which I'm gonna to get next time.

jessie981, Jul 30, 6:50am
Yes, colour. They say we are governed a lot by food colour. Love mashed potates, but couldn't imagine eating green ones (St Patricks Day).

lissy73, Jul 30, 8:01am
We bought some and I was the only family member game enought to try them. I did peel them first, and they were like beet root in that the cooking water became purple too. To me, there was no taste difference, but they would be higher in antioxidents due to the dark colour

deus701, Jul 30, 8:09am
interesting, which supermarket? is it just in oz?

tahnasha, Jul 30, 8:36am
I'm in Oz, got them at Coles.They were $3.50 kg, compared to the normal carrots, 99 cents kilo, but I roasted them and they were really tasty, hard to explain the taste, tasted like carrot, but alot stronger.My youngest daughters reaction when on the plate, OMG Mum look you've burnt the carrots.So I said what 245sam said, this is what real carrots use to look like, and not many people know that, but now you guys do, and you've tasted original carrots.They fell for it, haha and everyone ate them and they all said they'd eat them again.

elliehen, Jul 30, 9:07am
Or blue scrambled eggs...

They were used in a experiment to test diners' reactions - those who were blindfolded had no problem :)

schnauzer11, Jul 30, 12:29pm
Those are 'Reed' avocados,mu favourite.Smooth flesh,tiny stone,but they don't colour as they ripen.Should just yield when gently squeezed.

schnauzer11, Jul 30, 12:30pm
I've bought these in ChCh the last few years.Treat as any other carrot,but they are very sweet raw.

tahnasha, Jul 31, 4:22am
Should I peel them!I thought I'd try them, saw them at the supermarket today.

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp98/QueenBeesWax/Carrots.jpg

squeakygirl, Jul 31, 4:27am
They tasted like any other carrot when cooked but are wonderful raw. Much better than the usual carrots we get.

jessie981, Jul 31, 4:29am
Mmmm, never seen them before & wouldn't be tempted to buy. Let us know how they tasted. Guess I'd cook same as carrots - boil or roast.

mazzy1, Jul 31, 4:36am
Yum - I bought these last year to try and they are sweet and delicious. They are apparently they way carrots used to be before the Dutch bred orange ones. or something close to that story! :) I am going to grow some this year for sure. They are really high in something really HEALTHY too - can't remember what. Anyway - I love them!

mazzy1, Jul 31, 4:39am
This from the King's seed catalogue - a similar type, by the look of it:- A 1,000 year old Heirloom. While orange carrots were first recorded by Dutch paintings in the 1600s, Afghans in 900AD make mention of a purple carrot whilst Egyptian temple drawings from 2000BC are well illustrated with it. Shades can range from dark violet to reddish purple with an orange, orange yellow or bright yellow interior with a sweet and spicy taste. The carrot is medium length, wide at the shoulder and well tapered.

245sam, Jul 31, 4:41am
Can I ask jessie981, why you wouldn't be tempted to buy those carrots!Is it the colour! or!
It is my understanding that the carrots we know of so well today were originally either purple or yellow so tahnasha's carrots are IMO more like the original cultivated carrots than those we now regard as such an everyday vegetable.:-))

tahnasha, Jul 31, 4:42am
I love trying out new things, my daughter was a bit iffy about them though.They had huge giant big round advocados there too, which I'm gonna to get next time.

jessie981, Jul 31, 6:50am
Yes, colour. They say we are governed a lot by food colour. Love mashed potates, but couldn't imagine eating green ones (St Patricks Day).

eastie3, Jul 31, 8:06am
I find they have an almost slimy texture and much prefer the Hass avos which IMO are also tastier.

deus701, Jul 31, 8:09am
interesting, which supermarket! is it just in oz!

pam.delilah, Jul 31, 8:21am
I have some heirloom rainbow carrots seeds from trade me that I am going to grow this year.Have a look here http://seeds-4u.angelfire.com/carrots.html.

destiny6nz, Jul 31, 8:30am
they would match our purple potatoes...