Potato topped pie

sarahb5, Jul 26, 2:32am
I am thinking of doing sliced potatoes on top of my cottage pie tonight instead of the usual mashed potato - should I par boil them first so that they cook properly?And would you put anything on top other than maybe some cheese?

fifie, Jul 26, 3:09am
Don't see why you couldn't use them, havent tried it myself what i'd do is either par boil or zap potatoes till slighty tender cool then cut into 1cm slices. Layer on top of pie slightly overlapping sprinkle with grated cheese and a sprinkling of paprika and ground black pepper. Bake till cooked and golden and crispy.Here is a topping i sometimes use on casseroles instead of dumplings if i have some bread to use up.
Bread crust. Cut french bread into 1 cm wide slices.Spread generously with butter. Place bread slices on top of hot casserole overlapping sprinkle with little grated cheese fan bake on high 200c till hot and golden

sarahb5, Jul 26, 4:13am
Yeah I think I will zap them in their skins in the microwave then slice them thinly and layer over the top, sprinkle with cheese and breadcrumbs and either herbs or paprika - its all a bit of an experiment anyway but might work ...

greerg, Jul 26, 4:19am
I do this quite often.I use very thin slices (0.5 cm) of potato and I bring them to the boil in a little milk, let simmer for a couple of minutes then drain and arrange on the pie.Sprinkle with grated cheese and some chopped parsley if you have it.

sarahb5, Jul 27, 2:32am
I am thinking of doing sliced potatoes on top of my cottage pie tonight instead of the usual mashed potato - should I par boil them first so that they cook properly!And would you put anything on top other than maybe some cheese!

fifie, Jul 27, 3:09am
Don't see why you couldn't use them, havent tried it myself what i'd do is either par boil or zap potatoes till slighty tender cool then cut into 1cm slices. Layer on top of pie slightly overlapping sprinkle with grated cheese and a sprinkling of paprika and ground black pepper. Bake till cooked and golden and crispy.Here is a topping i sometimes use on casseroles instead of dumplings if i have some bread to use up.
Bread crust. Cut french bread into 1 cm wide slices.Spread generously with butter. Place bread slices on top of hot casserole overlapping sprinkle with little grated cheese fan bake on high 200c till hot and golden (Put this topping on after casserole is cooked so you can get high heat to crisp up bread.)

sarahb5, Jul 27, 4:13am
Yeah I think I will zap them in their skins in the microwave then slice them thinly and layer over the top, sprinkle with cheese and breadcrumbs and either herbs or paprika - its all a bit of an experiment anyway but might work .